Symonds a chip off old Menzies' block

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

swoop

Bencher
Tipping Member

THERE will only ever be one Steve Menzies.
But if ever there is a look-alike in build, it has to be talented new backrower Tommy Symonds.

I would never compare Symonds with one of Manly's all-time greats but the new blood nut is already on the way to becoming the bargain buy of the 2013 NRL premiership.

Forced out of his beloved Roosters by the snap decision to bring Luke O'Donnell back from the English Super League club Huddersfield, Symonds was desperately seeking a new club at the start of the season.

Manly swooped and Symonds played his first game for the club in NSW Cup in round one against the Auckland Vulcans.

He was a runaway man of the match and looked like a Ferrari in a billy-cart race.

He has been in the Sea Eagles' top 17 ever since and quickly won over his teammates and coaching staff.

So much so that coach Geoff Toovey started him in the run on 13 against Wests Tigers in Gosford last week.

CROWD PLEASER

The thing that is exciting for Manly fans is that Symonds will get better with every game.

He has the skill and ability. All he needs is an injury-free season and time on the field with his new teammates to enable him to form combinations.

He says it's coming together with each game and his confidence is growing. There is nothing better for a team than a hungry player and Symonds fits that bill perfectly.

He was a constant in junior representative teams and the brightest star to come out of the Easts juniors in many years before he had his career cut short by a series of serious injuries.

Symonds summed up his situation and jumped at the chance to join Manly.

"I have no regrets - I am playing with one of the most professional clubs and best teams in the premiership," he said.

"Each week is more enjoyable. I want to make the most of my opportunity."

LOTS OF REP ACTION

REPRESENTATIVE football will start to have an influence on the NRL from next week.

On April 19 Australia play New Zealand in a Test match in Canberra followed by the annual City v Country match in Coffs Harbour on April 21.

Manly's fine form will see up to six players called into representative action.

Kieran Foran is likely to be in the New Zealand squad while Steve Matai's decision to opt for Samoa ahead of the Kiwis for the World Cup in October may see him left out of the Kiwi side.

That would be a shame because the rugged centre is in outstanding form and one of the early leaders in the Dally M player of the season.

The mail I am getting indicates Brett Stewart will be the NSW Origin fullback.

He hasn't put a foot wrong in the opening four rounds.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/northern-beaches/symonds-a-chip-off-old-menzies-block/story-fngr8iii-1226613521125

Not enough game time for Tom IMO. Especially since I traded him into my SuperCoach side for Buhrer. Give the man 80 minutes Tooves !!!

Chip and Chase said:
Not enough game time for Tom IMO. Especially since I traded him into my SuperCoach side for Buhrer. Give the man 80 minutes Tooves !!!

I did the same thing.

He is working into our system seemlessly. I don't know the details of his injury history but he seems fit enough right now. Fingers crossed his bad luck is all behind him.

(Oh and I heard Tunks (?) on radio today say they didn't just let Symonds go to get O'Donnell under the cap, they also had to ditch Cherrington and Takarangi - who I think is already playing NRL level elsewhere too).

Symonds is such a good player, i rate him much higher then Buhrer tbh. Our recruitment for this year has been nothing short of outstanding and its showing on the field too.

torana355 said:
Symonds is such a good player, i rate him much higher then Buhrer tbh. Our recruitment for this year has been nothing short of outstanding and its showing on the field too.

Thanks to Dave Warwick and now we can forget about Cleal..

Rambo1987 said:
torana355 said:

Cleal was good but Warwick is doing a fantastic job .

Can someone give Symonds an Albion head gear?

I like Symonds, but lets dial back the expectations a tad. He does things well, but he actually doesn't have a high workrate. In 40 minutes of game time on Friday night he made 10 runs for 76m and made 10 tackles. Buhrer in 49 minutes made 13 runs for 99m and made 19 tackles. The week before against the Tigers it was Symonds, 70min, 18 tackles, 11 hitups for 82m and Buhrer in only 28 minutes made 17 tackles and 10 hitups for 105m.

Can't believe people giving up so easily on Buhrer. He is doing plenty of work when he is out there, and its telling me alot of it is going unnoticed.

Rambo1987 said:
torana355 said:

Who's this Cleal you speak of?

umm those statistically are the same for friday night, more or less

40 / 10 = 4 (one run every 4 minutes)
Bhurer - 49/13 = 3.76 (so basically 1 run every 4 minutes

The difference is tackle rate. However opposition run at smaller blokes more so that could explain that.

As for metres?
Symonds 7.6m per run
Bhurer 7.6M per run

So on Friday night that shows they were equally as effective as each other.

Tigers game is obviously a different story though

Daniel said:

The difference is tackle rate. However opposition run at smaller blokes more so that could explain that.

As for metres?
Symonds 7.6m per run
Bhurer 7.6M per run

Which is kinda my point. People are carrying on like Symonds inclusion at the expense of Buhrer see's a massive improvement in what the team is capable of. All I'm really saying, is that I think people are greatly underestimating what Buhrer has been doing for us. And whilst I think stat's only tell a portion of the story, its a fair indication that people aren't aware of the amount of work Buhrer has been doing.

Yeah I agree. I am a fan of Bhurer and watch him fairly closely he is a work horse. We want him to be flashy but that isn't his go.

Two completely different style of players.

Symonds is the guy you want running angles close to the line, bhurer is the guy you want in a link role and finding holes further out

Masked Eagle said:
Daniel said:

As for metres?
Symonds 7.6m per run
Bhurer 7.6M per run

Which is kinda my point. People are carrying on like Symonds inclusion at the expense of Buhrer see's a massive improvement in what the team is capable of. All I'm really saying, is that I think people are greatly underestimating what Buhrer has been doing for us. And whilst I think stat's only tell a portion of the story, its a fair indication that people aren't aware of the amount of work Buhrer has been doing.

The thing is though, Symonds looks much more dangerous at hitting holes particularly near the try line which is why he appears more effective. He also does not get dominated as much as Burher.

Forget the stats.As I said in a previous thread-judge with your eyes.Total metres takes no account of quality.

Both are fine players who add a lot to our team.Symonds size makes him far harder to handle than Buhrer in attack and he is much more likely to break a game open while Buhrer will battle away in the trenches all game and provides a backup to Ballin. Im glad we have both of them.

I'm liking what I've seen of the blood nut but 5 X 40 minutes is a pretty small sampl size.

Burher is the same age now gifty was in 2007 and about the same weight 95kg. In this age of NYC we forget it takes forwards a little bit longer to fulfill their potential.
I think Jamie is one more solid off season away from showing us all what he can really do.

Masked Eagle said:
I like Symonds, but lets dial back the expectations a tad. He does things well, but he actually doesn't have a high workrate. In 40 minutes of game time on Friday night he made 10 runs for 76m and made 10 tackles. Buhrer in 49 minutes made 13 runs for 99m and made 19 tackles. The week before against the Tigers it was Symonds, 70min, 18 tackles, 11 hitups for 82m and Buhrer in only 28 minutes made 17 tackles and 10 hitups for 105m.

Can't believe people giving up so easily on Buhrer. He is doing plenty of work when he is out there, and its telling me alot of it is going unnoticed.

That's like trying to compare Beaver to Willo.

Symonds could be anything. The thing that stands out about him is his natural football instinct. I was really impressed with the way he steadied himself before he grounded an awkwardly bouncing bomb against the Tigers at BlueTongue Stadium. He made a difficult grounding in the wet look simple .

Chip and Chase said:
Masked Eagle said:

That's like trying to compare Beaver to Willo.

With or without the goat photos

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6