Tackle rears its ugly head

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

wombatgc

KT 623
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Who needs enemies when you've got Andrew Dunemann as your coach???

Dean Ritchie and Christian Nicolussi
The Daily Telegraph
June 04, 2012 12:00AM

THIS wouldn't even be allowed in the no-holds-barred world of the UFC - a horrifying head slam which left a young Raiders player physically ill and nearly unconscious.

Wests Tigers winger Marika Koroibete will be referred to the match review committee today and faces a long stretch on the sidelines if the judiciary treats this incident with the seriousness it needs.

His victim, Raiders lock Josh Mitchell, will spend up to a month out injured and was yesterday still feeling the effects of the shocking hit.

Koroibete was placed on report for his 62nd-minute effort after he placed both hands around the face of Mitchell and yanked him sideways and then backwards. Mitchell had to leave the field in a neck brace and on a medicab, unable to move otherwise.

"He was in pain. There was pain down the side of his neck, but hopefully it's not as bad as it looked," the Raiders' Toyota Cup coach Andrew Dunemann said.

"It (the tackle) wasn't good, but one of those things that happen. I think I've seen worse, that's for sure. And I don't think there was any intent there.

"You're obviously not taught to do that, but it was the heat of the battle.

"It was heated from the first minute to the 80th, and it was a case of young boys getting carried away. I'm sure he didn't mean to go out and do it."

The Raiders-Tigers clash was spiteful throughout, and earlier in the game there was a shocking hair-pulling incident involving Raiders winger Brad Smith, whose long locks were tugged at by Tigers interchange Sitaleki Akaoula. An all-in brawl broke out before Akaoula was given 10 minutes in the sin bin.

Dunemann said: "I thought it was a bit harsh that he (Akaoula) got 10 minute.s in the bin. If you've got long hair like that, it opens up (the chances of getting it pulled)

"He's had a few (dramas) and cops it. He's all right and just gets on with it. He was fired up last night, but there wasn't much in it."

must've found the coaches cliche manual.

Quotes from the chapter: 'defending the indefensible'. (by bellamy)

I saw that tackle and that player should have been sent off immediately. It was a despicable act that deserves a very long suspension.

"if you've got long hair it might get pulled"???

This coming from a bloke who used to BLOW DRY his hair at half time when playing for Gold Coast..... LOL!!

The headslam was shocking. He'll get a fair bit of time for that i reckon. He couldn't get him to the ground so he repositioned himself around the head and dragged him to the ground.

On another note. If a bloke is gonna have long hair, then why can't you pull it? Scenario, if the hair is covering the collar won't it get grabbed. Are you not gonna grab a blokes collar cause his girly hair is in the road?

I still can't believe that the head slam wasn't a send-off, especially given the prior send-off for the hair pull. One of the worst tackles I've seen in a long time.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6