Tate nervous ahead of debut for Warriors

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Tate nervous ahead of debut for Warriors

Monday, February 25, 2008 - 3:01 PM

http://nrl.com/News/Latest/NewsArticle/tabid/76/NewsId/7925/Default.aspx

Australia and Queensland back Brent Tate admits there will be a few nerves when he makes his debut for the New Zealand Warriors on Friday night.

The Warriors' final pre-season trial, against NRL grand finalists Manly on the Sunshine Coast, will be Tate's first taste of action in eight months.

His last game was the third State of Origin match last July, when he tore the ligaments in his left knee and needed a knee reconstruction.

After the longest rehabilitation of his career, the former Brisbane Bronco is looking forward to finally getting back out on the field.

"It's pretty exciting," he said.

"It's obviously the first match for me for a long time. I'm probably a bit nervous too, but I'm looking forward to playing footy again."

Tate, a brother-in-law of Warriors skipper Steve Price, said the nerves were partly because he would be giving his knee its first real test.

"I'm feeling good in training and everything, but it's always a bit different when it comes to game time," he said.

"But again, I'm confident I've done the work and I've rehabbed it really well."

One personal aim for the trial against the Sea Eagles at Quad Park was simply to survive unscathed.

Another was getting over any rust that might have developed over such a long layoff.

"I just want to come through the game and to get some timing back," Tate said.

"Timing, game speed, all those sorts of things - that's what it's going to be all about for me."

While Tate is returning from a serious knee injury, one of his new clubmates, fullback Wade McKinnon, is starting the tough process of recovery from a similar injury.

McKinnon is due to undergo surgery this week after damaging the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee in the pre-season fixture against Newcastle just over a week ago.

"I've been thinking about him a fair bit," Tate said.

"It's a stark reminder that football is such a fickle game. You can be going really well and something like this can happen so easily.

"But Wade's a tough person and he's got a good work ethic and that's what's needed in this sort of situation."

The Warriors leave for Queensland on Wednesday.

After the hitout against Manly, it will be just over two weeks before their first match of the new NRL season, a Monday night fixture away to defending champions Melbourne on March 17.

Having been used at wing at club, Origin and Test level, the 25-year-old Tate's move to the Warriors means he gets the chance to revert to his favoured position of centre.

"That's one of the big things about coming here, to get the opportunity to do that, and I guess the ball's in my court now," he said.

"Hopefully I can get some continuity in my game by playing in one spot for a long period."
Source: AAP

He's always been a very good player. I like his legal channeled aggression he brings to his game.
I always hoped he'd play for The Sea Eagles. Injury prone or not, I'd STILL do a direct trade between him and Matai.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6