Taxation office's threat to Delmege

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
G

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,25135708-5006066,00.html

ATO comes looking ... Manly Sea Eagles co-owner Max Delmege has been taken to court by the Australian Tax Office for failing to pay a $220,000 bill.

MANLY Sea Eagles co-owner Max Delmege has been taken to court by the Australian Tax Office for failing to pay a $220,000 bill.
The ATO threatened Delmege with winding up his company, but the besieged property developer says he paid the bill at the 11th hour. Last night Delmege admitted he was facing cash flow problems - and blamed Manly for his predicament.

"When I got involved with Manly, they didn't tell me the hole was so big,'' Delmege said. "I thought a couple of million bucks would fix them up and we'd move on from there. Once they got me in, well of course the hole was so big, it was bigger than probably a mine in Newcastle.''

Delmege insisted the ATO matter had been settled. "That taxation money has been paid,'' Delmege said. "It was paid on the 20th (of February). It would've been paid prior to this if I hadn't given bloody Manly $15million and got them to where they are today and now they are trying to crucify me.''

The fresh drama will greet Manly officials and players, who return this morning from Britain where they beat Leeds 28-20 in the World Club Challenge. Documents obtained by The Daily Telegraph show the ATO issued Delmege's company Surfside (Mount Street) Pty Ltd with a statutory demand for $225,079.99c on October 13 last year.

In an affidavit a taxation official said the debt comprises a "running balance account deficit as at 13 October 2008 in respect of amounts due under the BAS provisions ...''.

Max Delmege is the sole shareholder of Surfside (Mount Street). His son Robbie is a fellow director. He was given three weeks to comply with the demand and on December 23, 2008 the ATO's lawyers filed an application in the Federal Court seeking to have Surfside wound up and placed into liquidation on the grounds it is insolvent.

The ATO said in its application it was seeking to have Surfside liquidated because of "failure by the defendant to comply with a statutory demand''.

The matter was adjourned on February 20. The ATO yesterday refused to comment and Delmege's lawyer David Kennnedy did not return calls.

The problems will fuel talk that Manly's second major shareholder, the Penn family, may attempt to buy out Delmege. It is understood that deal could cost the Penns between $3million and $4million.

can he stop telling people he's given manly 15mil - it's been proven over and over the main part of his 15 was sponsorship which he gets a return  and tax deduction from.

what is the source of that article Tookey?

Please post the source ASAP it looks a little dubious

"Last night Delmege admitted he was facing cash flow problems - and blamed Manly for his predicament.

"When I got involved with Manly, they didn't tell me the hole was so big,'' Delmege said. "I thought a couple of million bucks would fix them up and we'd move on from there. Once they got me in, well of course the hole was so big, it was bigger than probably a mine in Newcastle.'' "

I find that strange considering he's a businessman and he'd be mad not to look into the situation before putting in money.  Then again i know nothing of the situation so i can't really talk, but some of the things the papers are quoting him with doesn't sound good...  ???

Never a good sign when you have to be chased for payments all the time.......

tookey link said:
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,25135708-5006066,00.html

Manly's second major shareholder, the Penn family, may attempt to buy out Delmege. It is understood that deal could cost the Penns between $3million and $4million.
tookey link said:
It would've been paid prior to this if I hadn't given bloody Manly $15million and got them to where they are today and now they are trying to crucify me.''

I can't see this sort of statement helping his cause.

Guys I am a fan of freedom of speech etc. But I can see no good coming of this article, and we are not protected by freedom of the press. Therefore I am thinking of closing this article off for now

Yeah, why give Clon and Canteen a free kick.  This sort of article just attracts the likes of Matas.  Get it of now.

No one on this site has defamed him, we are merely expressing opinions on the article in question.

No one on this site wrote the article.

Pretty poor form if its removed I say.

Not sure I believe all things the DT reports, but if they were to quote anyone and the quote is untrue, could they be sued or something? 

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7