Team to play Doggies - Brett in!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Wheel

https://membership.seaeagles.com.au/
Premium Member
Coach Des Hasler has named rookie Andrew Suniula on the wing for the Sea Eagles first game of the NRL Premiership.  Chris Bailey has retained his position at 5/8 after strong games in the UK and other newcomer Shane Rodney has been named on the 5 man bench.

Sea Eagles NRL Team

1 Brett Stewart
2 Michael Robertson
3 Jamie Lyon
4 Steve Matai
5 Andrew Suniula
6 Chris Bailey
7 Matt Orford (c)
8 Brent Kite
9 Matt Ballin
10 Josh Perry
11 Anthony Watmough
12 Glenn Hall
13 Glenn Stewart

Interchange
14 Heath L’Estrange
15 Jason King
16 Adam Cuthbertson
17 Shane Rodney
18 Shane Neumann
(one to be omitted)

Coach Des Hasler

We'll win with this lineup, and I assume our fearless coach has spoken to the new winger about staying out on his man.  That's the area they'll try to exploit with long balls from Gimmemorely.  Tony W and Bani must still be injured?  Yes? 

Correct with Williams - not sure about bani.  For that matter I don't know who is going up to play in Qld (ie Rose etc)

Rodney would have to get a run you couldn't go into a match with the bench below:

14 L’Estrange
15 Jason King
16 Adam Cuthbertson
18 Shane Neumann

You'd have to think Shane Neumann or L’Estrange will missout.

Why would Brett be out?  he's named, so Des obviously has assessed him as go.  He's tough enough to take any sledging so why not play him.  Thank God Gallop isn't the coach, no-one would be playing.  He is such a hypocrite.  I remember the Dogs team were being investigated re CH and he didn't call for all of them to be stood down.  Anyway, I'm really looking forward to seeing our outside backs score some tries.  Does anyone know anything about this new winger?  I imagine Neumann will drop off.  Rodney was excellent in the WCC and Des likes three big guys on the bench.     

Poor old Bani had had a horrid run with injury.
Is this Suniula the dude with the Locks?

Imagine he played all guns-a-firing, David Williams can't crack it back into the side, Bani languishes in the QLD Cup.

With the depth we have - players will have to be very careful about their injuries. It may cost them their job.

Sea Eagles Toyota Cup Team

1 William Hopoate
2 Michael Oldfield
3 Matt Grieve
4 Blake Davey
5 John Grey
6 Kieran Foran
7 Daly Cherry-Evans
8 Ilija Radan
9 Brad Bennett
10 Jared Waerea-Hargreaves
11 Michael Tiopira
12 Darcy Lussick
13 Jamie Buhrer (c)

Interchange
14 Scott Blanch
15 Todd Wilson
16 Lama Tasi
17 James Cunningham
18 Liam Higgins
19 David Sheehan
20 Chris Stolk
21 Travis Drought

Coach David Penna

I would say nueman is named for Brett too.

Robertson to Fullback and Nuemann to the wing

Do you think our number 1 will be up for it???

You can bet the opposition will be sledging him all night, so it might be a tough ask!!

Personally until this saga is over (one way or the other) I don't think we'll be seeing him play.

Hope I'm wrong becuase that would be the best thing for him to do!!

DSM5 link said:
Why would Brett be out?  he's named, so Des obviously has assessed him as go.  He's tough enough to take any sledging so why not play him.     
??? Gee, let me see...
Nup, nothing comes to mind. How mysterious (!)

As for the others, Bani's injury was cited as the reason he didn't go on the WCC trip. I sure hope he can get back to full fitness asap.
And my guess is T Rex won't be rushed, specially after his early season injury.

Mark from Brisbane link said:
Do you think our number 1 will be up for it???

You can bet the opposition will be sledging him all night, so it might be a tough ask!!

Personally until this saga is over (one way or the other) I don't think we'll be seeing him play.

Hope I'm wrong becuase that would be the best thing for him to do!!

Sounds a bit precious, its rugby league sledging is part of it, Brett would be used to this intimidation factor as would most players be accustomed to it. Anyway he’s a fullback half the time he would spend 30 meters away from everyone else.

Suppose I am a precious sort of person!!

BUT

The sledging on this occasion would be worse than "whatyca doin now pretty boy"

I just don't know how he'd go with that sort of pressure

Mark from Brisbane link said:
Suppose I am a precious sort of person!!

BUT

The sledging on this occasion would be worse than \"whatyca doin now pretty boy\"

I just don't know how he'd go with that sort of pressure
I think sledging from the bulldogs would be among the least of his worries.

I could be wrong but I don't think he'd cop too much from fellow players anyway because I'd say he is quite well respected by most players.

It's more the unknown state of his mind as this week rolls on. Next Saturday night must look like the dim distant future right now to Brett Stewart, is my guess.

Not many of us would know what pressures he's feeling at the moment.

SeaEagleRock 8; It would appear that Brett has given his OK to play and Des has talked to him about the game and picked him.  Sure he is under pressure but he's under pressure all season.  It probably would do him good to be out there playing, rather than hiding out in a closet somewhere. 

Personal lives certainly affect the work and public lives of people and sportsmen are no different. A distraction like playing could be just what Brett needs but he may not have his head right. A horrible thing like this could certainly affect one's confidence and demeanour. He would be a tough hombre to be able put it all aside and perform at the top of his game. A week ago he was the star of the game and the face of Rugby League. To be dragged through the muck by the dailys and have all sort of aspersions cast upon him must be personally demanding and draining. I hope he plays but could understand should he choose to stand down.

SeaEagleRock8 link said:
And my guess is T Rex won't be rushed, specially after his early season injury.

T Williams still 3-4 weeks away apparently, not sure on Bani.

As for Stewart, he's a big boy and if he has genuinely done nothing wrong then a little bit of verbal from players isn't going to affect him. I'm more worried about the distraction it'll have on other players who might feel they need to protect him...his brother and Matai who is always looking to play the enforcer role, for instance. I'd be more worried about the rabid Dog's fans behind the goalposts who'll be giving it to him.

I still think Brett should play if he wants to.  I'm sure Wheel, Vidmar, CW and the other girls can handle those large well armed Dogs fans.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7