Teen Manly fan plans Stewart tribute

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Eagleheart

Bencher
HE’S the 13-year-old uniting Manly fans to help farewell his hero.

Robbie Caldwell, of North Narrabeen, is a Manly fanatic who remains hurt and upset that Glenn Stewart has been forced out of his club to South Sydney.

Through a Facebook campaign, Robbie has planned a unique event for rugby league this Sunday when Manly play Canberra at Brookvale Oval.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/teen-manly-fan-starts-facebook-campaign-for-sea-eagles-fans-to-show-their-love-for-glenn-stewart/story-fndv31ch-1226893730871

Aussies stand up and clap for a whole minute????

Aussies can't even be silent for a whole minute (where they have to do nothing) don't like the chances when having to actually do something for 60 seconds!!!!

(Good on the young man. Hope it works and comes through loud and clear on the tv.)

Additionally...for the other 79 minutes, people should chant greenburg/nrl admin are wankers.

Telecrap are running a story on it.

HE’S the 13-year-old uniting Manly fans to help farewell his hero.

Robbie Caldwell, of North Narrabeen, is a Manly fanatic who remains hurt and upset that Glenn Stewart has been forced out of his club to South Sydney.

Through a Facebook campaign, Robbie has planned a unique event for rugby league this Sunday when Manly play Canberra at Brookvale Oval.

Manly fans are devastated by the loss of Glenn Stewart.

Robbie is urging all Sea Eagles to rise in the 13th minute — the number Glenn wears as a lock — and applaud for one minute. He hopes thousands of fans will clap to show their appreciation for Stewart, a Manly champion.

Such recognition is common in the English Premier League but has never been done in the NRL.

“He has been such a great player for Manly for nearly 12 seasons,” said Robbie, a student at Narrabeen Sports High.

“Glenn Stewart is an amazing player and I hope everyone recognises that on Sunday. I think Glenn deserves to go out with another premiership and I hope fans stand for one minute and clap him. I want him to realise how much he will be missed.”

Manly prop Jason King admits he is 'devastated' by the news that teammate Glenn Stewart will join South Sydney next season.

Asked how many supporters he hoped would stand and clap, Robbie said: “Hopefully everyone. We have about 3000 members on the Manly Sea Eagles Supporters Facebook page, so I hope they all get behind it.

“Glenn deserves it. Both the Stewart brothers are my favourite players.”

It is unknown whether Manly general manager David Perry will support Robbie’s initiative, given no offer was made to Stewart.

Stewart is among Manly’s favourite sons and fans are angry he was pushed out despite openly claiming he wanted to stay.

“I am sure Glenn would be quite embarrassed by this (Robbie’s plan) but at the same time rather chuffed,” Stewart’s manager Mike Newton said.

Manly life member and board member Peter Peters hopes fans support Robbie’s idea.

“Rugby league has been tribal for more than 100 years and it’s young fans like Robbie — and passionate, loyal players like Glenn — that bring that out,” ­Peters said. “This youngster’s initiative should be embraced by every Manly fan on Sunday.”

What a great idea. I have been to an EPL game where they did a similar tribute to a club legend.

I sense that the wider league community are really sympathetic about how the club has been forced into a corner over Gifty.

Lets hope the NRL can come up with a fairer system that rewards clubs who promote loyalty through having long term players.

Applaud the sentiment but not these soccer ideas creeping into league :dodgy:

The 13th minute could be a critical set up play and I would not want the Manly Players to be distracted. Plus with the NRL timekeeping issues, it probably won't be the 13th minute anyway.

Gifty should just run out first and then Fans could stand and applaud without issue.

Round 25 is our last home game against Penrith. So Kitey could also be given a little Manly love :idea:

There is a 'Player Meet and Greet' - 6pm on Sunday at the Harbord Diggers.

Whether the fans join in or not, good on you little man for your passionate support for our Manly legend.:heart:
Nrl take note, it's the true fans that are hurting by the lack of compensation/support for long term, one club players such as Gift. Some of them are just little kids.
But, you know, thank you so much for bringing SBW back (insert puke here).:mad:

HappilyManly said:
Applaud the sentiment but not these soccer ideas creeping into league :dodgy:

The 13th minute could be a critical set up play and I would not want the Manly Players to be distracted. Plus with the NRL timekeeping issues, it probably won't be the 13th minute anyway.

Gifty should just run out first and then Fans could stand and applaud without issue.

Round 25 is our last home game against Penrith. So Kitey could also be given a little Manly love :idea:

There is a 'Player Meet and Greet' - 6pm on Sunday at the Harbord Diggers.

They do this during a game & not prior because it has a greater impact. The club wouldn't get Gifty run out 1st on Sunday, it's not his final game. Agree with others that for this to work we need the club to promote it before the game.

This is a great idea and should be strongly supported by the club and fans alike. Good on you little man for thinking of this and getting the ball rolling!!

If this goes off as expected, don't be surprised to see Greenburg jump on board and give himself a big pat on the back for making the whole thing possible. :p

The 13th Minute of the match begins when the scoreboard clock (which counts down) gets to 28:00. Just thought i should clarify ! :)

At that point we should all stand, raise our beers, cheer, and applaud until the clock reads 27:01 (or thereabouts). I will be doing it and will be encouraging all around me, (who are not wearing green) to do it also. Gifty has been a gift.

I'm happy to do it but shouldn't we stand and clap for 13 seconds?
Realistically, one minute is a long time when there is a match in progress. What happens if the Faders are on the attack at that time; they will think we are urging them on.

niccipops said:
Whether the fans join in or not, good on you little man for your passionate support for our Manly legend.:heart:
Nrl take note, it's the true fans that are hurting by the lack of compensation/support for long term, one club players such as Gift. Some of them are just little kids.
But, you know, thank you so much for bringing SBW back (insert
yack.gif
here).:mad:

Puke inserted as requested
vomit.gif
smsick8.gif

bones said:
Zorba got Ritchie to squeeze his sly dig at Dave Perry in to article I see. He is filth.

Yep, I noticed that dig at Perry too.

COMMANDER said:
Should keep the powder dry for his last home game.

I like this timing better. Such a response will shake the antipathy from those players that may be dirty on the club and/or seeking options elsewhere. Seeing strong fan support can only help refocus them on what they actually enjoy about being Manly....mates and fans.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6