Ten Predictions for 2015

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

mozgrame

Engorged member
Dan Nicholls – January 5, 2015

Despite last year’s relatively poor efforts, I will again put my money where my mouth is and lay down ten predictions for 2015.

From the Grand Final make up, to the Dally medallist, to the top try scorer, here are all the tips you need to do your dough in the upcoming NRL season.

1. Roosters/Bulldogs Grand Final

The Bulldogs, after their Grand Final loss in 2014, have gotten better during the off season through the recruitment of Brett Morris, although the loss of skipper Michael Ennis will hurt.

I see no reason the Dogs can’t be there again in October in 2015. Last year I tipped the Dogs to finish second and play grand final footy, and was accused of being a bias Dogs fan. For the record I’m not, and I believe they will be even better this season.

As for the Roosters, they looked amazing as September rolled around, but were out played by the Panthers in the first round of the finals and never recovered.

They’ll re-sign James Maloney early and he will have a season much like 2013. Blake Ferguson will provide extra try scoring potential out wide or at fullback. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck should play fullback and Ferguson centre, with Shaun Kenny-Dowall on the wing for mine.

2. Raiders to finish with the spoon

Fear not Raiders fans, as I have predicted the former Green Machine would finish last three seasons in a row and they are yet to add a spoon of the wooden variety during that time.

Despite some very clever recruitment in Austin and FPN, I just don’t see them having enough strike power to combat their lack of defensive steel.

I am a huge fan of Jarrod Croker in attack, but he concedes just as many points as he scores. Likewise Jack Wighton.

The Raiders are going to need their best players to have outstanding seasons to be anywhere near finals footy, but unfortunately for fans in the capital, I just can’t see it.

3. Manly will lose one of either DCE or Foran, but re-sign the other

Although Manly shed Anthony Watmough and Glenn Stewart for 2015, the money on offer from rival sides is just too much for the Sea Eagles to combat.

I have gone on record as saying I believe Kieran Foran should be the main priority, and I still believe that. Manly will throw big money at him and he will re-sign.

Daly Cherry-Evans on the other hand may end up at the Eels, Sharks, Raiders, or another cashed up side. At only 25, no one could blame DCE for doing what is right by his family.

It may end up that Manly keep both, but they’ll have to shed players elsewhere. That being said, I don’t think they’ll have the salary cap space to retain both superstar halves.

4. Brisbane to finish in the Top Four with Roosters, Bulldogs, Cowboys

Despite the injury to international and origin rep Darius Boyd, the Broncos are a much stronger side heading into 2015, both on and off the field.

Anthony Milford’s halves combination with Ben Hunt will be one to watch, and I expect Milford to have a blinder of a season.

The Broncos best signing comes in the form of returning coach Wayne Bennett. I believe he will get the best out of under-performing players with potential such as Jack Reed. Adam Blair will play better footy in Brisbane than he did at the Tigers.

The Roosters and Dogs are obvious, but the Cowboys will scrape in just in front of Souths on the back of Thurston, Scott and some clever coaching from Paul Green.

5. NSW to retain the Origin trophy

It is with no real confidence I believe the blues will retain the trophy, based on the fact that a few of QLD’s best performers are moving toward the end of their careers and may be injury prone.

Cameron Smith is going to go into Origin under done after missing at least the first month of the competition. They’ll also be missing Darius Boyd, whose combination with Greg Inglis has been lethal.

On the other side of the equation, Trent Hodkinson, Daniel Tupou, Will Hopoate and co. have plenty of improvement left in them. Hopoate especially will have far more NRL footy back in his body when he plays Origin this year.

The NSW forward pack is the difference for me. Gallen, Bird, Lewis and co. are often the difference in big games, and always seem to play their best footy in the NSW jersey. They'll have to replace Hayne tho, although there are plenty of candidates.

6. Melbourne Storm to miss the eight

For the first time in seemingly forever (i.e. the salary cap scandal) the Storm won’t be playing finals footy in 2015 for mine.

Smith will miss the start of the season, and will then play Origin almost straight away. Billy Slater tapered off in 2014 for the first time I can remember and will also play Origin if fit.

Outside of the big three, I don’t think the Storm have enough to combat the likes of the Roosters, Dogs, Souths and co. Their fourth best player Ryan Hoffman has left the club.

There will be a lot of pressure and expectation on Blake Green, who despite success in the Super League, has never established himself at NRL level. There was always going to be a time the decision to re-sign three players on huge contracts would come into question. This is that year.

7. Sharks will vastly improve but won’t play finals footy

This is a safe bet as quite frankly, they couldn’t possibly play any worse than in 2014. I’m also confident in predicting they won’t suffer the same injury crisis.

Gallen, Lewis, Carney, Graham, Fifita, arguably the Sharks best give players, all missed big periods of 2014 through injury and suspension.

Having recruited well and having a full squad back on deck, not to mention their coach, things can’t be headed anywhere but up next year.

Valentine Holmes looks like quite the player, as does Jacob Gagan. Combined with Gallen, Lewis, Ennis, Barba, Gordon, Fifita and co. the Sharks should improve dramatically. They’re probably a class halfback away from finals footy.

8. Thurston will edge out Milford and Inglis for the Dally M

I expect Greg Inglis to have yet another brilliant season, and am tipping Anthony Milford to be an absolute revelation in Brisbane, but it will be Johnathan Thurston who reigns once again.

Having thought he did enough to win the award on his own last year, although who could begrudge Hayne after his season, this year Thurston will add yet another individual honour.

Thurston will take the Cowboys to a top four finish, will go close to taking his club to an Origin victory, and will wrack up yet another tally of try assists and tries himself.

The Cowboys half, or five-eighth, he should play wherever he reals more comfortable, is a genuine World Class superstar, and 2015, just like 2014, will be his year.

9. Josh Mansour top try scorer

To be honest I’m not sure how Josh Mansour was overlooked for Origin duty last season, but it was Penrith’s gain to have their wrecking ball wingers available.

Mansour had a breakout 2014, and in 2015 he will announce himself in a big way, by posting 20+ tries.

The likes of Peta Hiku, Brett Morris and Alex Johnston will be there or thereabouts, but it will be the Penrith star who tops the charts.

Super strong and brilliant in the air when attacking, which is a brilliant compliment to the kicking games of Jamie Soward and Peter Wallace, he’ll score plenty close to the line, and will add a fair few from distance.

10. Aussies till belt the Four Nation champions in Brisbane

I know I will cop it from our brothers and sisters across the ditch, but the Kangaroos, in front of a sold out Suncorp crowd, will be hell bent on revenge after surrendering the Four Nations trophy.

The Roos will have the majority of their stars back on duty and at near full-strength, Thurston, Inglis and co. will run riot.

The Kiwis did exceptionally well to win in front of an expectant home crowd in late 2014, but the team they beat simply doesn’t compare to a full strength Aussie side.

Gallen, Scott, Tamou and Fifita will be back on board, injury allowing, which completely changes the complexion of the contest. Thurston, behind those forwards, will provide plenty to Morris (x2) and Hodges, who will oblige.

Read more: http://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/ten-predictions-for-2015-16122/#ixzz3OBPHa5T3

May take on those points..

1. Roosters/Bulldogs Grand Final

I agree that the Dogs are a good chance of another GF. Not so sure about the Roosters though.
For some reason a lot of people seem to be forgetting they have lost SBW – why the loss of SBW doesn't rate a mention in many people's predictions on the Roosters' season is beyond me! I wouldn't be surprised to see the Panthers get into the GF. Manly have the team to win it again if things go our way but it will depend on injuries and possible off field distractions.

2. Raiders to finish with the spoon

Fair call.

3. Manly will lose one of either DCE or Foran, but re-sign the other

A topic that hasn't got much air time here on Silvertails. I would love to sign both but I suspect he may be right with this one too.

4. Brisbane to finish in the Top Four with Roosters, Bulldogs, Cowboys

Can't agree. I'd say Bulldogs, Manly, Panthers, Cowboys (in no particular order). The Roosters might make 3rd or 4th. Brisbane will be in the bottom half of the 8.

5. NSW to retain the Origin trophy

I can't see it. The current NSW side – now without Hayne - is probably the worst I can remember. Queensland have been complacent for the last 3-4 years and still managed to win until last year. Normal transmission will resume in 2015 (unfortunately).

6. Melbourne Storm to miss the eight

They are not the (cheating) powerhouse they once were, but they will still make the 8 imo.

7. Sharks will vastly improve but won’t play finals footy

Probably true but who cares? If they don't make the 8 they are still the failures they always have been and always will be.

Agree with Thurston for the win. Not so sure Milford and Inglis will be up there though. I think Inglis might slide a bit actually behind Souths' weakened pack.

9. Josh Mansour top try scorer

Agree. Mansour is a rocks and diamonds player. I think there will be more diamonds than rocks in 2015.

10. Aussies (to) belt the Four Nation champions in Brisbane

Agree.

On a lighter note. I was watched Sunrise and a clairvoyant made 2 predictions 1. Dragons to win comp and 2. Sam Armytage to find true love this year. My first thought was "oh no poor Sam will never find anyone".

Ange said:
tookey said:
Foran is going to Parra and we may retain DCE.

And you know this because of...........

Foran was seen openly stating in August that he going to the eels.

There has been a distinct lack of indication from either player that they want to stay at manly and that they are working out a deal to stay.

I know I've laboured this point, but if in fact foran does go to parra, serious questions need to be asked why our ceo or whoever didn't out an anti tampering clause in his release, we did Arthur a favour by releasing him from his contract to pursue a first grade gig.. And since then he has been there or thereabouts for any players coming off contract or disgruntled.

I ain't alawyer, but surely the board could've put something in place for his release?

I realise foran is off contract, but parra are only in the mix coz of Arthur.

MadMarcus said:

Agree with Thurston for the win. Not so sure Milford and Inglis will be up there though. I think Inglis might slide a bit actually behind Souths' weakened pack.
If Inglis has aspirations to be rated among the greats, this is the year he needs to produce his best season. He has it all but has also benefitted from playing in teams with other great players. He should be at the very peak of his powers now so with no Sam Burgess it will be interesting to see how he handles being their main man week in week out.

joeboy said:
I ain't alawyer,

Clearly, but you don't need to be a lawyer to realise you can't bind another club to not bid for our players, regardless of who their coach might be.

Point taken, patronising and all.

I would've thought terms on a release are up to the the club asked to do the releasing. It probably couldn't be done for someone like foran who is off contract, but I'm sure it could've been applied to a choc like situation.

How?
In the old days there were 'gentlemans' agreements', apparently for years Manly and Canterbury didn't try to sign each others players due to the friendship between Arko and Bullfrog, but I don't see how you can enforce that legally, as you say our board should have done.

Well a lawyer can't take his clients when he leaves a law firm to go to another. I was just hypothesising. Maybe the board weren't aware of the allure of Arthur, maybe there is nothing they could do, maybe there is and maybe they didn't do, that's what I'm questioning.

However if you want to be sanctimonious about it, that's your prerogative , but last time I checked this is a discussion board.

Who knows what goes on behind closed doors at any club, I was just questioning if the club couldve covered themselves for what has happened and what might happen.

Who knows maybe you're right? However if clubs were to make agreements among themselves about not offering players a contract I imagine the Players Association might not be thrilled.

But why am I patronising and sanctimonious simply for expressing my opinion when you are free to express yours?

The way you just quoted part of my post and added the "clearly" when I said I wasnt a lawyer.

Clear it up for you?

Apology accepted! To keep with your theme, I hope our backs continue to show their class, unlike some on here.

Berkeley_Eagle said:
Who's Dan Nicholls ?
What's he ever achieved that makes him an expert

Judging by that article he is clearly related to Anthony Milford whoever he is. He is also a Bulldogs fan it seems.

tookey said:
Ange said:
tookey said:

There has been a distinct lack of indication from either player that they want to stay at manly and that they are working out a deal to stay.

Openly seen where & by whom...very interesting

Ange said:
tookey said:
Ange said:
tookey said:

Here is this thread

http://www.silvertails.net/forum/Thread-Watmough-Merged-Mega-Thread

tookey said:
Ange said:
tookey said:
Ange said:
tookey said:

Here is this thread

http://www.silvertails.net/forum/Thread-Watmough-Merged-Mega-Thread

Thank you. I scanned that thread and finally found the comment from Ryan - of course. So that is the confession from Foz that he is going to the Eels & Snake will be playing with the Titans in 2015. 1 out o 3 aint bad I guess! I think I will just wait and see.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4