The 2nd tier cap

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
Just been reading about this debacle of a situation going on at Penrith, surely something has to change with this thing

For those that haven't caught up with it, Penrith have been told that they can't play Moyland in 1st grade or they risk a huge fine and other consequences if they play him because it will go over their 2nd teir cap. Travis Robinson may be in the same boat, and the NRL have told them they must play Naiqama and Daniella ahead of those 2

Young Moyland is a star in the making, and has proven himself more than capable of playing 1st grade, and it seems absurd that we won't be seeing him playing it because of this. I know rules are rules but there should be some sort of flexibility for situations like Penrith had found themselves in this year

Gould said on SMH they should get rid of the 2nd tier salary cap but that can't happen other wise you would get the wealthy clubs signing 30 plus players and having some outside the top 25 and not counting towards the main cap. But the 2nd tier cap hasn't risen since 2005 so i would think that needs to be changed ASAP and maybe some other minor tweaks to avoid situations like this arising

I hold no grudges against panthers, but really better for us

The poor kid now has to line up for Windsor...what a waste.
I agree, it's not right.
In saying that, is there any way we can sneak him into Manly:)

If the Panthers didn't see the value in him being in their top level Cap pre-2013 season, stiff **** they are paying now for that lack of foresight.

All clubs take chances when naming their top squad, and while I recognise that some clubs have been left to scratch around to pull together a suitable 17 due to injuries, this is usually towards the backend of the season.

We're not even halfway through and I doubt the Panthers can seriously claim that their injury toll is that bad that they don't have a choice. They do and maybe they'll be more careful about squad selections next season.

Don't agree with that at all HH

Their injury toll has been horrendous and they have discovered a kid that they didn't think would be ready or needed at this stage of the year, but through circumstance has been and has gone well. I think it is stupid that in that situation he can play then be told no you can't be used. Once they got down to the point of using him their should be some sort of concessions there for clubs

We are only a couple of injuries from props away from having to dip pretty deep as well

The system is so unfair that Schubert has the final say and there are no avenues of appeal

This quote from the Article is outrageous

On Friday, acting salary cap auditor Jamie L'Oste Brown delivered instructions to Panthers such as, "Why not play Geoff Daniela at centre and either Dean Whare or David Simmons at fullback" or "Just play Naiqama at fullback and see how that goes".

That article makes the acting salary cap auditor out to be a jerk. I wonder if there is more to it.
Other reports have the Panthers way under the salary cap for the NRL. Is Gould saving his pennies to buy up big for next year with this year's money?
Such a balancing act, should get lessons from Politis and Greenberg.

wombatgc said:
The poor kid now has to line up for Windsor...what a waste.
I agree, it's not right.
In saying that, is there any way we can sneak him into Manly:)

Always the opportunist Wombat. I like it.

Kiwi Eagle said:
Don't agree with that at all HH

Their injury toll has been horrendous and they have discovered a kid that they didn't think would be ready or needed at this stage of the year, but through circumstance has been and has gone well. I think it is stupid that in that situation he can play then be told no you can't be used. Once they got down to the point of using him their should be some sort of concessions there for clubs

We are only a couple of injuries from props away from having to dip pretty deep as well

Unless the top squad is increased to 30, then all 16 clubs are in the same position at this time and it's not a case of 'unfair' for Penrith. Tigers are suffering worse but we don't hear the same issues from them. Gold Coast had a terrible run but also managed to avoid 2nd Cap issues.

Concessions will lead to exploitation of the rules by clubs as they manipulate their circumstances to benefit from a new find.

I reiterate that if the Panthers didn't see enough in him pre-2013, then that was their call and they need to live with it. They can still abide by the rules to compete week-to-week, and I would only ever consider leniency shown in the event of an absolute disaster inflicted on a top level squad; not the situation Penrith are in right now.

It's a joke. I'd like to she Schubert punted after the way he handled the Izzy affair.

There's few things that need to change as well as the second tier cap.

NYC needs to go completely or be changed to an under 23s comp with 4 overage players allowed to play each week. I also think the first and second teir caps need to be merged and increased to allow for squads of 30-35. Manly would be one of the few clubs that wouldn't use more than 25 players each year

Fluffy said:
are you suggesting half our players play 2 games each week?

No mate
I'm saying the NRL Squad should be larger but up to 4 players not playing Nrl that week could be allowed to play in the under 23s

Just to show how farcical it all is again, Naiqama is injured this week so the NRL are saying Moylan is allowed to play this weekend. Could be forced to sit out again though the week after

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6