The 7.30 Report last night re NRL.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
"The case against Ayoub hinged on the evidence of another former player, Brad Murray, who was captured on video betting on the game. He gave evidence in Tandy's case that Ayoub had told him the fix was on. But Murray later changed his account and said he'd lied in his original statement. The charges against Ayoub and the others were dropped..."

Scary stuff. Hardly surprising that, when the spotlight is shone on organised crime, witnesses very frequently have second thoughts about giving evidence. And that's if they ever dared to speak to the police in the first place.

This sorry saga does little to support the view of those who laughed at the 'darkest day in sport'.

The thing about organised crime is that it could not possibly exist without Police corruption. Tandy was an easily manipulated young man, very quickly fooled by those big sharks that circled above him. He took a false hand of friendship from blokes that care for nothing except where the next quick buck is coming from. By the time Ryan finally worked out who his real friends were, he had very few left.

Ryan died a very angry, bitter, twisted and desperately lonely young man. Those that made him so continue to wine and dine their nights away without a care in the world. I feel extreme sadness for the Tandy family.

RIP Ryan Tandy.

I hope the blokes that drove you to this extreme get their comeuppance, but I doubt they will. That's just the way the world turns. I hope they rot.

Budgewoi Eagle said:
Greenberg really will prove a liability for the NRL. Ticking. Ticking.

Yep, Todd Teflonberger denies he was there and shown proof. Of course he denies being there. As a CEO, if he had been there he had a responsibility to inform the NRL, one of his players had been betting on games in the NRL.

Honestly, the Integrity unit should be all over this.

It never ceases to amaze me how the smartest young administrator in the game has his name linked to so many dubious dealings. What next ?

Another Bulldog scandal another Greenburg cover up and denial. Surely he cannot continue in any administrative capacity until this allegation is fully investigated.

If you go back though the archives on this forum you will see threads warning of the links between gambling, sport and organised crime.
If you are going to influence a RL match, or cricket, then you don't bribe players because there are too many of them, you target the officials - the ref/umpire/video umpire.
I think it has happened in the NRL. Look at one man in pink in particular!

Chip and Chase said:
Another Bulldog scandal another Greenburg cover up and denial. Surely he cannot continue in any administrative capacity until this allegation is fully investigated.

2 words.........Goat Photo's!!!

DYLAN WELCH: Tandy was placing bets on racing and NRL games with jockey manager and former journalist John Shell. Shell's betting ledger shows Tandy's rollercoaster punting spree over a week in June, 2010, the same month he joined the Bulldogs. A string of losses left him owing John Shell more than $30,000. According to John Shell's evidence at Tandy's trial, when Tandy refused to pay, Shell started to chase Tandy's manager, Sam Ayoub. Shell texted Ayoub, warning he'd reveal Tandy's gambling activities to Bulldogs management if Tandy didn't pay up.

By Shell's account, the tensions over Tandy's gambling debt came to a head one night in July, 2010. Shell had gone to the Moorebank Hotel to watch a Danny Green title fight. There, he was approached by a man known to him and Tandy who delivered this warning:

MAN DELIVERING WARNING (male voiceover): "You'd want to drop off chasing Tandy for that money. He's tied up with people that you don't want to know. You don't want these types of blokes turning up at your front door."

DYLAN WELCH: Frightened, Shell texted Tandy to say the debt was forgiven.

RYAN TANDY (male voiceover): "Sounds good because I didn't want things to get ugly."

DYLAN WELCH: Shell's evidence was that a few weeks later, he decided to alert the Bulldogs. At a cafe in Sydney's Homebush, he met Bulldogs football manager Alan Thompson and the club's CEO, Todd Greenberg. Greenberg is now the NRL's deputy chief executive. Shell said he showed them Tandy's betting ledger, which lists a series of losing bets on racing and rugby league matches. Despite being presented with evidence Tandy was betting on NRL matches, Shell said the pair told him to take the issue up with Tandy's manager. Greenberg and Thompson declined to be interviewed. Via a spokesman, Greenberg denied being told about Tandy's NRL betting plunge.

JOSH MASSOUD: I don't think you can blame the NRL. The NRL aren't parents. The NRL aren't there to hold footballers by the hand.

DYLAN WELCH: Four days later, the Bulldogs played the Cowboys in Townsville, the game that would bring Tandy's league career crashing to an end.

I may be wrong but that section quoted above seems to say that this mention of Greenberg comes from evidence given at the trial. So presumably it isn't fresh news to the NRL.

He was hung out to dry and deserted. Rip. others were also guilty, even more so. They have to live with their actions.

The Who said:
If you go back though the archives on this forum you will see threads warning of the links between gambling, sport and organised crime.
If you are going to influence a RL match, or cricket, then you don't bribe players because there are too many of them, you target the officials - the ref/umpire/video umpire.
I think it has happened in the NRL. Look at one man in pink in particular!

I think we have to be very carefull here dude.

Todd Greenberg under investigation over Ryan Tandy's NRL wagers

By CHRIS BARRETT in SMH today

http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/todd-greenberg-under-investigation-over-ryan-tandys-nrl-wagers-20140509-zr8er.html

The NRL says it is investigating allegations its head of football, Todd Greenberg, turned a blind eye to the late front-rower Ryan Tandy’s gambling on rugby league games while he was chief executive at the Canterbury Bulldogs.

The death of Tandy, 32, last month from a drug overdose has shifted a fresh focus onto the troubled former first-grader’s life and the spot-fixing scandal over which he was convicted and given a life ban from the code.

The latest claims centre around Greenberg, who is now a senior official at the NRL but was CEO at the Bulldogs at the time Tandy was involved in the game against North Queensland in Townsville and when the prop was subsequently sacked by the club.

The ABC’s 7.30 program on Thursday night broadcast allegations that Greenberg was alerted to a series of bets Tandy had placed on NRL matches during a meeting at a Homebush cafe with the jockey manager and former Herald journalist John Schell, held four days before the Bulldogs-Cowboys game in August 2010.

An NRL spokesperson said Greenberg was adamant there was no mention of Tandy betting on league matches at the meeting.

‘‘Mr Greenberg says at no stage during the meeting was there any suggestion or allegation of betting on rugby league matches,’’ the spokesperson said. ‘‘Mr Greenberg categorically dismisses any suggestion otherwise.’’

The death of Tandy, 32, last month from a drug overdose has shifted a fresh focus onto the troubled former first-grader’s life and the spot-fixing scandal over which he was convicted and given a life ban from the code.

The latest claims centre around Greenberg, who is now a senior official at the NRL but was CEO at the Bulldogs at the time Tandy was involved in the game against North Queensland in Townsville and when the prop was subsequently sacked by the club.

The ABC’s 7.30 program on Thursday night broadcast allegations that Greenberg was alerted to a series of bets Tandy had placed on NRL matches during a meeting at a Homebush cafe with the jockey manager and former Herald journalist John Schell, held four days before the Bulldogs-Cowboys game in August 2010.

It was claimed that Schell, who had been arranging for Tandy to place bets on horse racing and league games and was owed more than $30,000 by the forward, showed Greenberg and Bulldogs football manager Alan Thompson a ledger displaying the player’s wagers.

A ledger of bets produced in one of Tandy’s court cases in 2011 and published at the time by Fairfax Media showed four NRL-related wagers worth $5000 each. Players are not allowed to bet on any NRL games. The claims that Greenberg was presented with evidence of Tandy betting on league matches but took no action have prompted the NRL to investigate at the request of chief executive Dave Smith.

“These are allegations which go back three years,’’ an NRL spokesperson said on Friday. ‘‘However, the NRL takes such issues seriously and is making inquiries into the matter”.

The NRL says Greenberg denies being told about Tandy’s plunge on NRL fixtures but this is the second time since his move to Rugby League Central that he has featured as a subject in the NRL integrity unit’s inquiries.

He was previously investigated and ultimately cleared last year over allegations of a cover-up of a domestic violence incident involving the then Canterbury fullback Ben Barba when Greenberg was in charge at Belmore.

Tandy’s highly publicised gambling problems have been aired again following his death and Greenberg will be dismayed that he has been dragged into the revisiting of a sorry saga.

The ledger produced in court during Tandy’s fight against charges he lied to the NSW Crime Commission showed a series of bets on NRL matches on June9, 2010: $5000 on a Penrith/Roosters/Dragons treble, $5000 on a Dragons/Gold Coast treble, $5000 on the Cowboys on the line and $5000 on the Cowboys to be up at half-time and full-time.

Also betting on racing, he had ended the day down by $30,370 – but, according to Schell’s evidence, had refused to repay the debt. The ABC report said Schell had told Tandy’s agent Sam Ayoub he would speak to Bulldogs management about the forward’s gambling but had in July of that year been warned not to pursue the cash.

‘‘You’d want to drop off chasing Tandy for that money. He’s tied up with people that you don’t want to know,’’ the 7.30 program said Schell was told by a person known to both he and Tandy. ‘‘You don’t want these types of blokes turning up at your front door.’’

Now would be a great time for some emails from 2011 to find their way into the media...

Although happy to see an investigation, I can't help thinking that some people don't get to hold the positions they're in, without knowing how to make things 'go away' whilst at the same time give the illusion that proper process has been adhered to.

edit: And it's hard to prove a he said v he said case.

No doubt GE.
Most all CEO's would have made morally wrong decisions, lied, covered up things, thinking that it was better to do that than publicise/escalate something. Even Manlys own CEO's from past years. Perhaps at times it has been right to do that.

But I'm more than happy to see Dirty Toddy be investigated for this. The prick is slimy and it makes me smile knowing he will (hopefully) one day be exposed :)

Two scandals involving Greenturd in his time as Scumdogs CEO have come out in the two years he's been in been in the NRL job.

Wasn't Kevin Humphreys was forced to resign for less in 1983?

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8