The Big Debate ... who owns the Middle.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
Give any Silvertailian a minute ... and before you know it you will be told ... our forwards are shiite, we lack mongrel, we lack a pack leader, we can't compete with the top teams with these plodders ...

Fair points ... hard to argue with ... but that was then ... what about now.

It is my contention, that the lack of impact from our forwards can be placed solely on the shoulders of 2 blokes ..

1) Dessie .. he has never seemed to be a "Dog's of War" type forward coach ... in fact his 2 in a tackle and cuddle them to the ground approach has pissed me off for ages .... I think a new coaching direction from Seib's and flannagan will see a more aggressive pack mentality attitude from our pack ... and I think we have a couple of blokes that will rise to the occassion.

2) Marty ... the Emotional vacuum otherwise known as the Easter Island Statue ... in 60 years of watching the game I have never seen a prop less emotionally invested in the contest ... in fact I can't even recall him ever actually speaking to a team mate on the field ... let alone trying to rev any body up .... his departure, IMO, will be the greatest weight lifted off the forwards ... and expect to see them all lift as a result.

But, my own PR notwithstanding ... do we have the lads in the middle to get it done ?

Josh Aloaia
Jake Trbojevic
Haumole Olakau'atu
Sean Keppie
Paseka
Sipley
Morgan Boyle
Condon
Eathan Bullimore
Villiame Fifita
Alec Tu'itavake

Like many, I think we are short of that one player ... that legend ... but having said that I will back the rest of the lads to improve significantly on last year ... and give all but the top 4 a good working over.

Last edited:
I've no doubt that Jake is communicative on-field, and holds all the forwards - including himself - accountable.

I'm wondering who is the Clint Eastwood / Heartbreak Ridge - type character who leads by example off-field in the gym, training field etc that draws the rest (particularly the newer / younger players) after him?

All the coaching staff in the world can't fill this role - this can only be filled by the guy at your shoulder who you'd follow into the heat of battle. We've seen how the 'group of 7' can be / are influenced by personal accountability - is there someone who can additionally step up to lead in terms of football accountability?

Josh, Taniela, Toff - I'm looking at you. None of you are in the younger player category anymore - maybe the three of you can start a new 'hard-heads' group, sworn to 'own' the middle of the field in attack and defense. I think we'd all like to see it.

Josh Aloaia
Jake Trbojevic
Haumole Olakau'atu
Sean Keppie
Paseka
Sipley
Morgan Boyle
Condon
Eathan Bullimore
Sione Fainu
Alec Tu'itavake
Add Viliame Fifita to this list and remove Sione Fainu (now in Tigers top 30). Hopefully, the young props in the list will be given more opportunities to develop under the new coaching staff.

iCFZi5fgrHvVu (1).gif

And maybe a "forwards whisperer"

Tuilagi should be able to offer something worthwhile , Zac Fulton good depth player and could well come on next season . Not sure how much more improvement Burbo may have .

Tuilagi should be able to offer something worthwhile , Zac Fulton good depth player and could well come on next season . Not sure how much more improvement Burbo may have .
Wouldn’t be surprised to see Fulton off the bench early on if his trials form warrants it. The club seem to be including him in a lot of media and photos. He’s the mongrel we need.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Fulton off the bench early on if his trials form warrants it. The club seem to be including him in a lot of media and photos. He’s the mongrel we need.

Maybe ... he does look like he's got some ticker .. good attitude, and a good edge player ... but he's not the middle muscle that is needed to dominate ..

Give any Silvertailian a minute ... and before you know it you will be told ... our forwards are shiite, we lack mongrel, we lack a pack leader, we can't compete with the top teams with these plodders ...

Fair points ... hard to argue with ... but that was then ... what about now.

It is my contention, that the lack of impact from our forwards can be placed solely on the shoulders of 2 blokes ..

1) Dessie .. he has never seemed to be a "Dog's of War" type forward coach ... in fact his 2 in a tackle and cuddle them to the ground approach has pissed me off for ages .... I think a new coaching direction from Seib's and flannagan will see a more aggressive pack mentality attitude from our pack ... and I think we have a couple of blokes that will rise to the occassion.

2) Marty ... the Emotional vacuum otherwise known as the Easter Island Statue ... in 60 years of watching the game I have never seen a prop less emotionally invested in the contest ... in fact I can't even recall him ever actually speaking to a team mate on the field ... let alone trying to rev any body up .... his departure, IMO, will be the greatest weight lifted off the forwards ... and expect to see them all lift as a result.

But, my own PR notwithstanding ... do we have the lads in the middle to get it done ?

Josh Aloaia
Jake Trbojevic
Haumole Olakau'atu
Sean Keppie
Paseka
Sipley
Morgan Boyle
Condon
Eathan Bullimore
Villiame Fifita
Alec Tu'itavake

Like many, I think we are short of that one player ... that legend ... but having said that I will back the rest of the lads to improve significantly on last year ... and give all but the top 4 a good working over.
Definitely was a big issue last year!

Looking at the most successful sides of 2021, they all had great packs, especially the top 4!

I feel we still will struggle to match even last years top 8 sides with our current stock of forwards. On a whole, just don't provide enough impact, post contact meters or are mobile enough. Hopefully they can prove me wrong but still think we are short another decent prop or two.

Crocker doesn't help our cause either to be honest

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8