The cost of a halfback

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DSM5

First Grader
Just read in the Telegraph that Robson is on 35 thousand a season.  Sounds a lot when compared to our little gnome's money.  Is Orford ten times the player Robson is?   

He's been around 10 times longer than robson and has a premiership to his name. The biggest GF margin of all time.

You're only as good as your last game but he deserves to be on the money he is at the time he was given it.

Our little gnome has more talent in his left nut than you do in your entire body football wise DSM5.

FFS, your like a dog at a bone.

We all get how you feel. We understand. You've repeated it 10,000 times. We get it.

Can we all just move on now?

Sorry dude about being frustated - but jezuz....you never stop on it.

I don't know what Robson's thinking or been advised by his manager but signing another one year deal at the eels next year on low money is silly, he'd get decent money and a three year deal in England on the back of the season he's had this year.

ManlyBacker link said:
[quote author=Fro link=topic=181788.msg242889#msg242889 date=1253576920]
I thought there was a minimun contract amount, which was 55k or something?
That's what I thought.
[/quote]

Not in the top 25 he was the third string half back remember

cool,

if that 35 was his base there would surely be a bonus for playing so many games in firsts?

you make 35k slinging burgers at Maccas :)

DSM5 link said:
Just read in the Telegraph that Robson is on 35 thousand a season.  Sounds a lot when compared to our little gnome's money.  Is Orford ten times the player Robson is?   

$350,000?? I thought that his conract was heavily back-ended, which would mean that he was on plenty more than that this year.

I think that some fans just wanna start preparing for the future, even if that means a few average years. If we keep going the way we are, we will still keep making the finals, but as for a genuine threat, forget about it. Why are these fans so castigated???

On the basis of the game that knocked Manly out, which apparently wasn't an exception, I'd throw the cheque book at 17 year-old 5/8th Corey Norman from Brissie Toyota Cup, from whenever his contract expires.  Would love to see Norman and Foran in the centre of action for Manly long-term. Build a team around them. Two natural young footballers oozing class in just about all they do.

The Broncos don't let players like that slip through their fingers Rex.

Chip & Chase link said:
Who'd have thought Manly would let go of JWH?  But a big offer and he's gone.  Broncos let a lot go this year C&C and they have a new coach and other prospects like young Hunt to tie up.

Chip & Chase link said:

They let their big unit in the forwards go to Souths, also we have got players off them ie Matt Ballin (& Paul Stephenson hahaha)

DSM5 link said:
Is SBW 8 times the player Watmough is? Is Lote 15 times the player Robbo is?

You do present as being very jealous of Orford's money. Maybe you should accept that there are aspects of our economy that are market driven, and if demand is very high well you can name your own price sometimes.

Whatever we paid for Ox was a reflection of how much we wanted a quality halfback at the time. Given what we had at that time was a 'reasonable' halfback, I'd say we really really really wanted a top halfback.

I'd say Robson's contract accurately reflects his bumbling efforts when he played NRL for us. Which is no criticism of him, he always had potential which is why we got him in the first place.

I don't want us to go back to a 'reasonable' halfback, that might be making a false economy.

Kiwi Eagle link said:
[quote author=Moops link=topic=181788.msg242979#msg242979 date=1253606756]
Once bitten, twice shy. The club paid overs for T.Williams and look how that turned out!

It hasn't turned out at all, he is 1/3 of the way through his contract
[/quote]

Granted, but the jury is well and truly out. I was making the point that they will be very wary to add another high-price, unproven rookie to their roster, in response to somebody suggesting that the club make an attractive offer to the Bronco U20 5/8TH

Kiwi Eagle link said:
[quote author=Moops link=topic=181788.msg242979#msg242979 date=1253606756]
Once bitten, twice shy. The club paid overs for T.Williams and look how that turned out!

It hasn't turned out at all, he is 1/3 of the way through his contract
[/quote]
But played for less than 1/6 Kiwi, only got on the paddock in first grade 11 times.
Fingers crossed he does come good, but at this stage for me the jury is still out.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2