The Forwards

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Snake

Snake's Alive!
We did not lose the game against the Broncos because DCE is such a pivotal cog in the wheel; we lost the match in the forwards.

It's becoming apparent to me that this squad is dangerously short of aggression, size, and experience in the forwards. We are starting to see the ramifications of losing Kite, Rose, and Fa'aoso, with the short comings of Lui, Starling, and JSL, becoming more apparent as the grind of the Rugby League season starts to kick in. Injuries to Watmough and Gifty haven't help, along with Kings lack of football in the last two years.

I think we will be there abouts come finals time, but I have grave concerns for our ability to hold our own in the forwards to take out a premiership this year, regardless of whether DCE plays or not.

It seems to be a deliberate tactic. The club doesn't seem to give two hoots for our forwards. Retention, recruitment and development all sadly lacking.

Looking at who we have lost in the lat few years it suggests the club does not value the contribution of the pack at all.

Are these the same fowards that beat the Roosters and Bunnies pack?

We are going to have games like these. Just wasn't a good day at the office.

So basically what you are saying is we should have kept certain players and offloaded others big deal.

With limited cap space, back ended deals and "maybe to some observers" too much money tied up in the backline you make do with what you have for the time being.

The clubs with good retention and recruitment(Manly) still have their dips but have a quick turn around. Manly has never had ample " big name depth" we spot under valued assets and bring out the best in most instances(talking about the forwards).

We've never had an outstanding forward pack. The difference is we DO miss Cherry Evans. His direction and kicking game (which makes up for the lack of metres). Foran is not great at long kicking and I didn't even notice Littlejohn till late in the 1st half.

Brett seems to have lost 'it' since Glenn announced hes leaving. Not sure if hes carrying an injury or he actually does want to leave. Something is not right there.

Lyon looked rusty and was brought back to early. So a few key forwards.. Cherry Evans and 2 key players off form for reasons stated above and it just didn't work out that game. Away at Brisbane.. a couple of dodgy decisions early on and Brisbane got the roll on.

Erased and moving on now. That will be our attitude. I think they also had 1 eye on the Bulldogs game....

Historically @KaZa we've often had outstanding forward packs, I reckon.

Even way back when we were - fairly - accused of buying the best forwards from elsewhere (including England) we still also have had our home-grown greats. Most recently Beaver and Choc.

I think we are seeing just how big a loss Kitey, Joey G, George and Richie are, and with limited cap-space to replace we're doing our best with what we've got right now.

And I agree, we seem out of sorts and hampered by injury to our best guys.

If a clash against Des-picable and the Dogs doesn't fire the boys up ( no matter who runs on ) we will have more to worry about.

dowdz said:
Are these the same fowards that beat the Roosters and Bunnies pack?

We are going to have games like these. Just wasn't a good day at the office.

I have to agree, everyone said we were going to struggle against the bunnies, and we stepped up and showed what we can do.

I think it's just certain players are lacking abit of fire in the belly, I have no doubt though that they will step up for the doggies game!!

Everyone will write us off all week, just the way we like it ;)

If only we had signed Tamou, Scott and Woods we wouldn't be in this position.

Shame manly, Shame.

I believe manlys strength in the forwards has not been so much about the talents of individuals, but more about how the bench and replacements have fitted seamlessly into the defensive patterns.

As I have stated before, we appear to absorb the power of bigger packs. When this is on song we dominate eg Bunnies & Rorters.

However when this goes astray, if one new players timing or positional play is off, the whole cohesion is gone, and we become a scample trying to put out spot fires. eg Tigers & Broncos.

susan said:
Choc played against the Bunnies and Rorters.He didn't play against the Broncos.Never underestimate the army of one.If he plays we are a chance.If he doesn't they will roll over us up the middle.His presence just creates confidence in the others.

Point taken, but also adds to my point about cohesion in the defensive pattern.

Fluffy said:

Shame manly, Shame.
Shame on the supporters that dont have faith in our pack who proved this year that they can match it with the best of them Including the Wabbits and the Cocks who went down on us a few rounds ago :D

Agree totally Alan- every pack has a leader that holds them together and ours is Choc.Glen is on the same level in terms of leadership but just cant get on the field these days

BOZO said:
Fluffy said:

Shame manly, Shame.
Shame on the supporters that dont have faith in our pack who proved this year that they can match it with the best of them Including the Wabbits and the Cocks who went down on us a few rounds ago :D

Good point - I have the faith. We just have to stop spinning it wide to Jamie on the 3rd tackle in our own quarter so often. Keep it tighter and more direct in our own half occasionally.

susan said:
Agree totally Alan- every pack has a leader that holds them together and ours is Choc.Glen is on the same level in terms of leadership but just cant get on the field these days

It's a strange day, I can't get an argument with anybody. I even agreed with TC.

Meanwhile I've upset my best mate @Rivereagle and @Globaleagle has gone over to Ice hockey, the only group with less teeth than Souff's supporters.

Alan said:
susan said:

It's a strange day, I can't get an argument with anybody. I even agreed with TC.

Meanwhile I've upset my best mate @Rivereagle and @Globaleagle has gone over to Ice hockey, the only group with less teeth than Souff's supporters.

You smell! There, happy?

The diff b/w the two groups is that having your front teeth knocked out is a badge of honour in 'ice' hockey. Also most hockey players at least get their teeth fixed (or falsies) whilst souffs go around without any.

Oh...and it's can't get into an argument with anybody! :p That should set you off! lol.

:angel::D <---- full set of teeth!

edit: as for the topic... dog in fight....fight in the dog..etc, etc.

That "playing fetch with the ugly stick" call couldn't have helped the friendship Alan.

Myself,and all my ugly mates,which is just about all of them,treat very personal "ugly" gags like water off a ducks back;they almost wear them like a badge of honour- so there must still be hope for the relationship......unless of course River redefines the entire definition of the word "ugly" which may complicate matters a little.

susan said:
That "playing fetch with the ugly stick" call couldn't have helped the friendship Alan.

Myself,and all my ugly mates,which is just about all of them,treat very personal "ugly" gags like water off a ducks back;they almost wear them like a badge of honour- so there must still be hope for the relationship......unless of course River redefines the entire definition of the word "ugly" which may complicate matters a little.

Yeah, was a bit exaggerated, he apparently didn't play fetch with it, just licked the end. My wife used to go everywhere with me just so she didn't have to kiss me hello when I got home.

what was this thread about?

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8