The future of NRL clubs in Sydney

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

smirny

It has been well documented that the NRL wants all Sydney clubs to be playing in two stadiums, like what is happening with the AFL in Melbourne, but I think they have realised that that can't work in Sydney so they have planned for all Sydney teams to play in three stadiums. With the recent announcement of the NSW government stadium plans, Parramatta Stadium will be rebuilt into a brand new 30,000 seat stadium. I would think the NRL would get the Tigers and Panthers to play their games their along with the Eels. Next up is the construction of a new 50-55,000 seat stadium at SFS which I would think the NRL would want the Manly and Sharks to play there along with the Roosters. This leaves an upgraded stadium at Homebush (with a rectangular ground) to be home to the Bulldogs, Souths and Dragons, as it currently is. This is how I would think the NRL will get it all of its Sydney teams to play in three stadiums. I don't agree with this plan as it will destroy the concept of home and away games, but there's not much that we can do about it.

It's a fair chance. Dave Smith and greenturd are so far removed from the grass roots of rugby league, and what makes it what it REALLY is to us fans, that they'd happily play every game out of a few massive stadiums and edit in some crowds and atmosphere to make the game look good on TV.... Add to that the WWE style scripting of games and outcomes and heyyyyy presto! "LET'S GET READY TO RUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMBBBBBBBLLLLLE"!!!

This identical debate was held in Melbourne 20 years or so ago when the AFL had the docklands stadium built for the purpose of AFL, There was fierce opposition from fans and members about their clubs giving up their home grounds for this. Back then the top Melbourne clubs played their derby games at the MCG and played their other games at their home grounds. The change worked in Melbourne because most of the Melbourne teams were all based within 10ks of the city except Geelong so playing games at Docklands was not so bad.

For the NRL the issue for the fans is this. Over half the teams in Sydney are based 20ks plus from the CBD, Homebush and Parramatta so for the fans to get to games it is difficcult, getting to the Docklands stadium in Melbourne is easy as it is on the other side of the Melbourne CBD we do not have that here.

I want Manly to stay at Brookvale but I fear that our tenure there will be taken off us in the long term.

I would like to see a balance where possibly we play up to 8 games at Brooky and take the remaining games to venues where the club can make some money. Time will tell but I am not sure how much longer we keep playing at Brookvale.

Anybody who says it's viable for Manly to play at the SFS has obviously never tried to get into the city during the peak period from the Northern Beaches on a Friday night. Homebush is even harder.

The only way it could work is to delay game time until 8:30. Then people would say it's too late. So basically between the time it takes to get there, then the time needed to get home, there isn't time for a football game. So how can it even be considered?

I'd consider a 50\50 split only with a guarantee our 6 Brookvale games were 3pm Sunday.

That would mean that Fridays would be at Moore Park.
I'd say Friday's and Mondays at Brookie. Weekends at Moore Park so there's time to get there. And for that, only 2, not 6.

Unfortunately, what you'll find is that what the fans think and want will be of little consequence.

Oh they will say it matters, but it won't when it comes down to it. Football clubs are a business these days and its all about making moolah. The fact that sometimes a game of rugby league breaks out between two different clubs is just a bonus to attract the masses.

Its been obvious for years that NRL head office couldnt give two hoots about fans opionions or attandance figures to live games.

How do they make money if nobody watches it?

They move the games, we stop going. Simple.
Just like with the Beagles taking two clubs averaging 12 - 15k and turning it in to one club averaging 5k with a bit of fiddling.
If nobody goes to the games and nobody watches them on TV because they don't feel their teams are representative of what they're supposed to be, the money will dry up.
Hopefully all these ex-fans don't move to Aussie Rules becuase they don't deserve to win out of all this.

We averaged 10K a game at Brooky this year. Pretty poor crowds and reflective on the teams performance. The club needs to average at least 15K a game but the deterrent at Brooky is that the slightest bit of bad weather and its not a good experience for 2/3 of the crowd.

Are you insane?
You think a tactic of starving us for footy to make us thankful for showing benevolance in the most minimal of ways is appropriate?

Personally I'd rather see 6 games at Brookie between 17-20k than 12 between 9-14k.
As stated above it's a business these days unfortunately, and regardless of what the fans and the football club want, the governing body will do whatever is in their and the games best interest.

Same at SFS but that is harder to get to so the crowds would be even lower.
At least Brooky is generally a good place to watch footy. SFS and Homebush are never, ever, under any circumstance good places to watch footy.

Personally I'd rather see 6 games at Brookie between 17-20k than 12 between 9-14k.
As stated above it's a business these days unfortunately, and regardless of what the fans and the football club want, the governing body will do whatever is in their and the ges best interest.

Why do you think marginalising the fans by ripping them off 4 more games would entice them to come out in bigger numbers? Do you think we have no pride? I'd tell them to stick it up their arse. Give me what i demand or get stuffed.

How do they make money if nobody watches it?

They move the games, we stop going. Simple.
Just like with the Beagles taking two clubs averaging 12 - 15k and turning it in to one club averaging 5k with a bit of fiddling.
If nobody goes to the games and nobody watches them on TV because they don't feel their teams are representative of what they're supposed to be, the money will dry up.
Hopefully all these ex-fans don't move to Aussie Rules becuase they don't deserve to win out of all this.
Thats not going to happen, people will always watch the games on tv in huge numbers, and the clubs will make more money playing out of 3 stadiums. Unfortunately there is no upside to play out of Brookvale for the club. Fans don't even fill small stadiums each game to help the clubs lose less money. Get used to playing in huge stadiums with 10k crowds.

I'd tell them to stick it up their arse. Give me what i demand or get stuffed.

As would a lot of supporters initially(maybe the majority of the season) But guaranteed after a few massive crowd's and a few epic wins they'd be back.
We witnessed it during super league and the NE debacle.
Once the NRL make THAT decision Brookvale will be lost to rugby league, compromise may end up being our only hope.

Thats not going to happen, people will always watch the games on tv in huge numbers, and the clubs will make more money playing out of 3 stadiums. Unfortunately there is no upside to play out of Brookvale for the club. Fans don't even fill small stadiums each game to help the clubs lose less money.

Nobody watched the Beagles. I don't think I ever saw a game of theirs.
If it happens to enough clubs, they'll have to think about winning their "customers" back.
If they just want Rooters, Dogs & Bongos, they're going the right way about it.

As would a lot of supporters initially(maybe the majority of the season) But guaranteed after a few massive crowd's and a few epic wins they'd be back.
We witnessed it during super league and the NE debacle.
Once the NRL make THAT decision Brookvale will be lost to rugby league, compromise may end up being our only hope.

No compromise. You then have to ask yourself just what it is you are doing here.
Do you watch, follow or support your club? What do those words mean? What is it about my club that I am a fan/supporter/follower of?

It's Manly Warringah Sea Eagles from Brookvale Oval in Maroon and White. That is not negotiable. That is my club.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2