The GF is ? vs ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
The Chooks have plenty up the sleeve & are yet to peak....good for them, bad for others.
This team along with Manly are still the 2 to beat imo.
Souths are possibly next in line with their power game (predictably hard to stop) & there is always a chance Nth Qld can challenge all 3 but unfortunately for them, cant maintain the intensity playing a few away from home.
The Dark dark horses are NZ, though still lack consistency & composure in comparison to the others, part of which makes them so unpredictable & dangerous...
Outside these its hard to be convinced anyone else can be there come GF time....are there more danger teams or will it be these teams fighting out the 2014 premiership??

It will be Manly v Souths. If the Roosters played last year, like they are this year, Manly would be the reigning premiers now.

The 11 assists dished up by Shame Hayne in the GF got them the Premiership. So, rightfully Manly ARE Premiers. A 1970 rematch is what the game needs.

Rabbitohs v Parra or Warriors, they won't let us get a look in

Manly v Rooster GF rematch.

Even though it's a comp where you could see a team in the bottom half of the 8 making a run, I still think 4 straight wins is too much for the teams 5th through 8th. I can see the Cows/Warriors knocking out some high profile teams. But can't see them winning away from home over a number of weeks.

I think we will win the MP and get a date with the Panthers or Storm. Who we will destroy and move to week 3.

The Roosters are still a bit of a gamble, but I do think man for man they still have the best squad in the comp, it really comes down to whether or not they have the desire and can quickly turn their momentum. I also think SBW could either become a big motivating factor (ie let's win now with him in the team, because it's our golden chance) or a major distraction (ie he's leaving and is already thinking about the all blacks.)

I see Souths falling at the hurdle of Week 2. The Roosters and Souths to bash each other badly in week 1. And then Souths come up against a team like Cows/Warriors/Eels who have hit form, and stumble.....tragic!

Clint said:
bones said:
It will be a Manly v Souths.

Agree with this. Provided they stay on opposite sides of the draw of course.

I 3rd this view too.

As of now the Vermin are streets ahead of the Rorters, Dogs and Scum (not forgetting the Worriers and the rest as well).

Apart from the obvious (who looks the goods right now) I'm feeling a rising urge to exact revenge on the Rabbids (for Friday night) and make it a 44 year-drought to boot!

It will be between Manly and Cronulla. Look at the map.

I think the Broncos may be a dark horse.

I just hope the NRL referees a fair game this year.

As long as it's Manly v the runners up, I'll be a happy man.

We haven't won for 3 years. We're just not used to such droughts.

That's the domain of Souffs.

I'm probably a bit of an conspiracy theorist, but I have been saying for years that I think the games are being "rigged".

Now, let me qualify that.

I don't mean rigged for gambling, and perhaps rigged is the wrong word so lets say "manipulated".

Games are "manipulated" to create a "better and more exciting viewing experience" for TV, and this is done by the use of Penalties.

Never before have we seen Penalties play such a role in the game, the amount of, the position of, the time of.......ALL create such a momentum turner or continuer in a game.

Let me ask this, when have you ever seen a really lopsided penalty count in a game....???....if it exists its very very rare.

The penalties ALWAYS end up the same, or close to it BUT the awarding of, where and at what time and point in the game is the big issue.

I wasn't near a TV / Radio or Internet to see or hear Fridays game so I can't really comment if this was the case there but lets reflect for a minute on last years GF.

Penalties (or the lack thereof) played a HUGE part in that game. We all know the result and we all think that Shane Hayne virtually gifted the Roosters the GF with a range of strange decisions, under a different referee maybe Manly would have won!

I am convinced this goes on week in week out, they "manipulate" the game to get close results, the Storm -Knights (and again I didn't see it so stand corrected if I am wrong) was probably just that, the Pinkies trying to get the Knights back into the game AND (for TV) what a result!!

Now sometimes it doesn't matter, one side is just way to good for the other regardless, last weekends Cowgirls-Tigpies are a perfect example.

I'm now only the occasional viewer of games other than Manly as I see this happening time and time and time again.

You even hear the refs asking for "the count" (on Sports Ears).

I guess with TV paying 1.2 Billion for the game what else can you expect!!

I agree with you 100% Mark. That's why they haven't done anything to clear up the rules like obstruction and the rules around the ruck to make them more objective. Barring a Herculean effort from the team that is "not supposed to win", the refs effectively have the discretion to determine the outcome of the game by letting them walk off them mark and lie in the ruck and penalising the opposition for doing exactly the same thing. You see it week in, week out, and not just in Manly games.

Yes MM, I see it happening in most games and certainly in the big ones .

Which by the way means that only with a super human effort will we feature in this years GF.

We stuffed the system in 2013 when we beat Souths to go to the GF, you can bet the No Real League will do all in their power to see that not happening in 2014.

Souths will be there , will we???

I'm a conspiracy theorists too Mark but last week there was a match with a "really lopsided penalty count": Knights V Melbourne.
Knights won the second half penalties 7-zip . . . and the match. While it couldn't happen to a 'nicer' team, you and I would have blown up deluxe if Manly had coped the same treatment.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6