The Good, the Bad and the Ugly 2012 Season Review - 15 things I wish the NRL would fix.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
RE: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly 2012

Wholeheartedly agree with nearly all of those points, in particular day games and no Monday night footy.. Day grand finals are imperative aswell.

RE: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly 2012 Season Review

Agree with most of these points. Many of them seem to be simply undoing changes that should not have been made in the first place. With particular reference to the one about daytime Grand Finals with a 3pm kick-off, it seems that nearly everyone wants this, so why isn't it happening?

Further, does anyone agree with me that not only should the Grand Final be permanently moved back to a 3pm kick-off, but I would like to see it return to being played on a Saturday rather than a Sunday. The GF was ALWAYS played on Saturday up until 1980, and I really don't see why they changed it. Saturday is a much better, more atmospheric day for a football final IMHO...and I used to enjoy reading about the game in the Sun-Herald the next day! :)

Nuttybott said:
Agree with most of these points. Many of them seem to be simply undoing changes that should not have been made in the first place. With particular reference to the one about daytime Grand Finals with a 3pm kick-off, it seems that nearly everyone wants this, so why isn't it happening?

Further, does anyone agree with me that not only should the Grand Final be permanently moved back to a 3pm kick-off, but I would like to see it return to being played on a Saturday rather than a Sunday. The GF was ALWAYS played on Saturday up until 1980, and I really don't see why they changed it. Saturday is a much better, more atmospheric day for a football final IMHO...and I used to enjoy reading about the game in the Sun-Herald the next day! :)

can't do that these days with it being grand final weekend with the AFL having theirs on the Sat...........I think back in those days the games were on different weekends weren't they?

mmmdl said:
Nuttybott said:

can't do that these days with it being grand final weekend with the AFL having theirs on the Sat...........I think back in those days the games were on different weekends weren't they?

No, they weren't...they were nearly always played on the same day, and usually at the same TIME. Ch 7 used to broadcast the RL Grand Final, and give the rights to the VFL (as it was then) GF to another broadcaster, usually Ch 10, to cater for the small number of arial ping-pong enthusiasts in Sydney... :D

Nuttybott said:

They changed it because they got rid of the Tuesday/mid week replays in 1979. There was no need for it to be on a Saturday anymore after this point as they brought extra time in instead.

I'd rather have it on the Sunday and have it a massive day of Rugby league like the 90's: Start with Toyota Cup at 10am, then 12pm for the new national Reserve Grade Competition, then end at 3pm with the NRL Grand Final. As the sun sets over ANZ, the premiers are lifting the trophy.

In saying this, I don't mind the 5pm start. I don't like the 730pm start though.

RE:Good, the Bad and the Ugly 2012 Season Review

NRL + AFL gfs: Festival of the Boot as HG and Roy have it .
Thoughtful and well written as always CF2.

The broadcasters' control of the times is a major problem. A legacy of the superleague war and its settlement. At least we seem to be getting some of the scheduling decisions back off the bloody ratings schemers.

RE: The Good, the Bad and 15 things

Good article, as always.

9. BENEFIT OF DOUBT TRIES:

PROBLEM: We all know the problem.

SOLUTION: Simply reverse the rule, the benefit goes to the defending team. If in doubt, no try. Fair for all and no ridiculous 'how did they award that' match deciding tries.

THE REALITY:

Try "scored" but benefit of the doubt goes to the defending team. Mistake was made costing the attacking team victory.

Everyone yells: "How did they not award that?"

Jono said:
They changed it because they got rid of the Tuesday/mid week replays in 1979. There was no need for it to be on a Saturday anymore after this point as they brought extra time in instead.

I don't think you have your facts quite right here. There was always a provision for extra time in the event of a drawn Grand Final...the 1977 GF between St. George and Parramatta went into extra time (the first time in 70 years it was needed), and when the scores were still locked at 9-9 after the extra period, the match was replayed the following Saturday, with St. George winning 22-0.

After this, the NSWRL noted the fatigue and exhaustion extra time caused the players, and decided it would not be played if the 78 GF was a draw. So when Manly and Cronulla drew 11-11 in the 78 decider, there was no extra period (extra time was re-instated for the 1979 season onwards). The Grand Final was replayed on the following Tuesday because the Kangaroo squad (which included several Manly players) was due to leave for England the following weekend.

As for your comment "there was no need for it to be on a Saturday anymore", I don't quite understand what you mean here, in that there was NEVER any "need" for the GF to be played on Saturday, any more than there is a "need" for it to be played on a Sunday. It just seems to me that Saturday is a more "natural" day for a football final than Sunday, as is evidenced by the fact that various finals around the world are still traditionally held on Saturdays (the AFL GF in Victoria and the FA Cup Final in England, to name but two)...

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly 2012 Season Review - 15 things

Overall, a great season. Some solid insights here - some really obvious.
Why does the NRL find it so hard to look and act, quickly, on some of these?
Why?

Good, the Bad and the Ugly 2012 Season Review - 15 things I wish the NRL would fix.

Great article with concise points CF2.

Agree with all you've listed. Captains challenge seems a no brainer, 3pm grand final has to be brought back, and more daytime games a must too.

Also like the rule change thoughts on extending the 40/20's and the 30m tap for long kicks dead.

As others have said why the hell can't these things be sorted now?

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6