The good, the bad and the ugly report - rd 10

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

cf2 is back

Reserve Grader
THE GOOD:
Shading the Roosters rd 2 win, this was our toughest and most brutal game of the season, and one we could easily have lost in those last 15 tense mins against a desperate opposition. We were literally out on our feet, but the sheer magnitude of our guts, will to win, and never say die impregnable defence has earned us a massive 2 points. There were broken and battered bodies out there but we just refused to buckle. What a great sign for things ahead.

Individually we were strong across the park again. Hoppa was a rock and made a whopping 200 metres, Robbo was simply sensational not only in defence defusing nightmare bombs but also constantly being there in attack. When Matai made that awesome bullocking run and had the ball stripped over the line there were 3 GC players there but Robbo out enthused them all to score. What a reward. Matai was his fantastic energetic self and Lyon's defence was awesome though I'd still like to see him get more ball in space. Great to see Wolfman back and putting in a safe solid effort too. DCE's penetrating kicking game time and again turning Campbell around was incredibly valuable. What an enormous boost, and wow how valuable are those 40 metre penalty kicks for touch.

In the forwards everyone worked their butts off, with Watmough (14 hit ups 33 tackles), Ballin (42 tackles), Glenn (41 tackles), big Joe (13 hit ups 19 tackles), Kite 28 tackles and Robinson 27 tackles. Ballin especially was my pick tonight.

But the very best player for Manly and for mine EASILY man of the match was the unbelievable Foran. Already battered from the last few weeks, he got smashed even more tonight (4 times alone by the freight train Tagataese), made 18 crunching tackles, was a constant threat in attack, and threw up a few awesome spiralling bombs. This guy is incredible. Even on the play when they scored for 16-12 he still made 2 incredible tackles, one on the left sideline and then miraculously another just seconds later on the opposite side of the field. Yes they scored but it was an incredible effort. The best thing is that his attack is only going to get better and better with those beautiful short balls to players in holes. How good is it to watch him.

On the whole an awesome guts effort and a huge reward for all with a massive 4 points in place now with the bye. The boys really deserve a mini break after 10 brutal rds. I hope Des gives them the rest of the week off. Man we have a real team on our hands, and to think we are doing this without our biggest attacking weapon 100 try Brett. bring on the Origin busted Broncos.

THE BAD:
Our wasted bench. Can't for the life of me figure why in a game this brutal we would not use all 17 players. Is there a problem with Mauro? Last week only the last 7 minutes, this week left cold on the bench. Des what's going on? And what a horrible waste when there's a talent like Harrison busting to get our there.

As for T Rex well I just don't get it. All he has to do is catch the ball and run forward REALLY REALLY HARD. But time and again his runs are disjointed, half hearted lazy gallops. This guy has the ability to be Jonah Lomu but he's seemingly got no concept of what to do. So frustrating. Stats don't lie 7 runs for that amount of game time is just appalling, and then there was the frozen dropped ball when we were on the edge of nailing the win which led to their try and an incredibly tense last 10 mins. Oh boy.

I know DCE kicked a pearler from the sideline, but gees you can't help wondering that his generally average ability from the sideline is going to cost us down the track. Lyon is such a great goal kicker what's the story? Is it simply to protect his hammy? Must be surely.

THE UGLY:
The amount of battering that our hero Foran is copping. But a 2 week break is a god send.

CFC, A great post, I have been logging on to this site for years now however I have never posted an thread or reply because I hate the way the so called Manly fans on here bag the manly players.

It is good to see a honest assessment of the way Manly play without being bias. Yes last night's game wasn't pretty but the Titians stood up for a change and had a game plan to rush Foran and DCE which worked, however Des is a great coach and I am sure he will address that issue.

But we won in another gutsy effort which the boys should get a big pat on the back however that is not good enough for the so called manly fans on here, they would rather criticise the boy for every mistake they made.

One more point what does Anthony watmough have to do to stopped being bagged on here, score 10 tried a game and make 40 tackles... ect.

Agree with everything you said cf2. While it wasn't the prettiest win last night, the thing that impresses me the most is our attitude - which is epitomised by Foran. This guy is an absolute machine. I just hope those hits don't take their toll over his career.

Hey Lansim - good to read your reply.
I bag players here sometimes so sorry about that.
The good is def Foran. So good its hard to put into words.
The bad is T Rex and Des. T Rex because, as many have said, is a regular ponderous nightmare to watch, and Des because he can't get into T Rex's thick head to run hard, REALLY HARD, straight and create carnage. It's agonising to watch.
The ugly point also includes T Rex. Why didn't he go and help Foran and smash Tagatese? Why did he stand by and let Foran get belted 4 times? Seriously.

the titans obviously had a game plan to send their 3 big hitting guys out there mid game to bash the life out of certain players. They did just that, they were only on for a short period of time and just went out there on a rampage. Shame we did not use T-Rex in a similar way. We did send him out at the same time but to far less an effect.

Lansim said:
CFC, A great post, I have been logging on to this site for years now however I have never posted an thread or reply because I hate the way the so called Manly fans on here bag the manly players.

It is good to see a honest assessment of the way Manly play without being bias. Yes last night's game wasn't pretty but the Titians stood up for a change and had a game plan to rush Foran and DCE which worked, however Des is a great coach and I am sure he will address that issue.

But we won in another gutsy effort which the boys should get a big pat on the back however that is not good enough for the so called manly fans on here, they would rather criticise the boy for every mistake they made.

One more point what does Anthony watmough have to do to stopped being bagged on here, score 10 tried a game and make 40 tackles... ect.

great first up post mate
i think choc just polarizes people.

For mine i love the bloke and am flithy he's not in origin.

Why the paranoia with being negative?
Here's the thing: being negative just may ACTUALLY be being HONEST.
Being positive isn't guaranteed to create wins.
This "positive spin" thing actually a new age load of bollocks.
The link between "thinking positive" and delivery is unproven.
Therefore its bollocks.

I know DCE kicked a pearler from the sideline, but gees you can't help wondering that his generally average ability from the sideline is going to cost us down the track. Lyon is such a great goal kicker what's the story? Is it simply to protect his hammy? Must be surely.

It is an issue: Most of our plays, and therefore most of our points are scored out wide. I can't remember last when we scored a try up the middle. It seems to be Manly's game plan; our strength is getting the ball wide creating the slightest of overlaps and then (whammo) try time. Hence why most of our kicks this year will be from near to the touch line.

Can't wait to see ( if ever) a full strength Snake running off those Foran passes. We got a glimpse of it last week v Raiders for Snakes first try. It could be the Cliffy/Beaver combination all over again.

captainskin said:

It is an issue: Most of our plays, and therefore most of our points are scored out wide. I can't remember last when we scored a try up the middle. It seems to be Manly's game plan; our strength is getting the ball wide creating the slightest of overlaps and then (whammo) try time. Hence why most of our kicks this year will be from near to the touch line.

Good point,i never really thought of it that way,youre right we are scoring alot of tries out wide and i think its time des addressed the issue of the poor sideline kick attempts,im almost resigned to the fact that DCE will probably miss from touch,we need a more capable goalkicker ie lyon matai or rodney when hes back,but in saying that what about DCE's sideline attempts,how good have his kicks for touch been when we get a penalty? The guy makes plenty of metres in this aspect and puts us in great attacking field position,DCE is coming along nicely and doesn't seem to overplay his hand and i am just waiting for one of his dummys to come off and see him go straight through and score under the posts,has he got a try this season yet? cant wait to see him score one .

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8