The good, the bad and the ugly report - rd 12

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

cf2 is back

Reserve Grader
THE GOOD:
Well what an awesome performance that was. We looked the better team in the first half yet due to a disgraceful penalty found ourselves down 10-4 at the break. That would have worried most teams but not the Manly of 2011. The first set of 6 in the 2nd half was very telling as we burst onto each pass with ferocity to charge down field. First a hard earned T Rex try, then the freakishly awesome leaping Lyon try to put us back into the lead.

This is where the match reached it's defining moment. At 16-10 with 20 minutes to go the next try was obviously the absolute key to the match. Our defence became even more bone jarring and our attack was starting to sizzle when DCE did what we've all been waiting for by finally backing himself with the ball. What a reward it was bursting through the gap, stepping of his left foot and wooshker he's under the posts. The disbelief on his face was nearly as good as the flood of praise from Gus who summed it up perfectly stating that try as the attacking confidence shot in the arm DCE'S been needing. How prophetic were those words when the confidence shot became a triple booster injection just minutes later as Brett took the diving catch, roll and simultaneous pass of the season to a flying DCE for his second try. As Gus said WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!!!!

Just an awesome piece of football and in the blink of an eye the game was all over. Hoppa's brilliant dive in the corner sealed the perfect 30-0 second half. Once again an excellent defensive effort and you'd have to say a very very good one in attack. Yes yes I know they were missing Locker but I'm not sure he could have closed a 24 point gap on his own. A very good win and another valuable 2 points. Has anyone ever seen Dessie that relaxed in the box? Me thinks not!

Individually, and apologies for using the same words yet again in this report, but there was simply not a weak performance in the team. Brett's performance, purely for the wave of relief it gave us all that he really is physically ok, was absolutely a joy to watch. How much better are we with his wonderful attack (and how about that try saving 1st half tackle). Hoppa again was simply superb (Hoppa with the greatest of respect can't you can become a missionary for life when you turn 32?!). Wolfman was solid with limited ball, Matai and Lyon were superb, and DCE a joy to behold as mentioned.

In the forwards Kingy and George were obviously both hurt, but Kitey, Joe and Robinson all worked tirelessly up front. Watmough was outstanding with 15 runs for 142 metres and 29 crunching tackles, Glenn was hugely improved in attack, finally straightening his running lines and looking very dangerous as a result, and as always a brick wall in defence with some massively aggressive tackling. T Rex looked annoyingly dangerous with his usual bag of ponderously lazy runs peppered with one or two steamrollers. If only this guy could realise he's a runaway freight train that just needs to wind up full tilt and cause constant carnage.

And of course that brings us to the weekly man of the match. Once again Foran the incredible wowed us with his wonderful runs at the line, time and again sending deliciously timed passes to put runners though holes. I know I keep saying it but he just gets better and better and better every week. In fact it's scary thinking just how much better he's going to get. He is truly something special for us all to saviour, as echoed by the understandably gushing Gus in the box.

THE BAD:
Nothing. Ok I thought of something. Why was Buhrer, normally such a vital 50-60 minute player, held back until the 73rd minute? Anyone got a clue? I know it's hardly a "BAD" entry, but an odd one nonetheless.

THE UGLY:
Not being at Brookie tonight. Being a 20 year plus season ticket holder my 12 Brookie home games are like precious jewels so it pains me to just give one away. I can only hope the gate takings rewarded us as much as the fantastic 2 points tonight.

On buhrer, I found a comment interesting last year from crusher cleal on the show that aired on Maori tv, where he said that he and Des had a philophosy that a young bloke coming in would start to struggle with the intensity of 1st grade after 4-5 games. I'm picking they are dropping his minutes to freshen him up and get him through his 1st full year of 1st grade footy

As great as it would have been to have the game at Brookie it was priceless just rubbing it in with a 'home' victory on Brisbane territory.

completely agree with everything you said. might want to add nuffy referees to the bad column though lol and its so good barely being able to think of a bad thing to say about the performance

Yes good point, those 2 bad calls against us in particular were howlers.

Can anyone explain why can't stop the clock, check with the video ref, and 20 seconds later announce "Brett Stewart DIDN'T touch the bomb, it's a Manly ball". How hard can that be?

The bad. You forgot the ref. Not that bad refereeing can stop us at the moment. Nice to have a win by a big margin. That will add to the confidence of the team.
Keeping them to one try was the best part. Sometimes when there's a clear lead the team that's winning can drop off a bit, that did not happen.

cf2 is back said:
Yes good point, those 2 bad calls against us in particular were howlers.

Can anyone explain why can't stop the clock, check with the video ref, and 20 seconds later announce "Brett Stewart DIDN'T touch the bomb, it's a Manly ball". How hard can that be?
Conspiracy theory? Perhaps gallop had a word to the refs haha. In all seriousness though, i think snake might be on the end of a few bad calls this year

Technical Coach said:
Buhrer was losing his early season spark and lacking impact Des has got it right holding him back at the moment.

Every now and again i agree with you mate. I think you are right here.

No question Dessie was giving buhrer a chance to freshen up and allow TREX the opportunity for some game time

cf2 is back said:
Once again Foran the incredible wowed us with his wonderful runs at the line, time and again sending deliciously timed passes to put runners though holes.

starting to remind me of what cliff lyons would do

also had to wonder why des bothered sending robinson back on the field with less than 1 minute to go in the game

• 👍
Reactions: JEF
castle eagle said:
also had to wonder why des bothered sending robinson back on the field with less than 1 minute to go in the game
May have simply been to let him soak up the win as a finishing player given his contribution.

I think Buhrer's time was effected by the injury to Rose and to a lesser extent King.

I find it incredible that Snake is capable of some of the things he does so quickly after almost a 2 season layoff, the man is a freak.

I think the Broncos got a bad call when one of their players had the ball punched out of his arms by Watmough when he was right in front of Manly's tryline. He was ruled to have dropped the ball. It was clearly a ball being punched out of his hands with three in the tackle. I didn't think there was anything untoward tonight; just bad calls from bad perceptions. And we are lucky we weren't made to pay for those bad calls. Giddiup!

Choc deserves a wrap one of his best games in a while no errors which is huge, plenty of offloads, plenty of tackles and good metres. Very happy with his game yesteday

castle eagle said:

Probably to try and soak up the remaining seconds on the clock. Refs weren't having any so they pushed for the drop kick, which caused the penalty.

Also read in an article about Choc today that Cummins admitted to him l, presumably the Matai or Stewart ones:

"Come here,'' referee Ben Cummins said to Watmough and a teammate after Jamie Lyon's try in the 52nd minute. ''Look I may have made a mistake up there [points to southern end], I acknowledge that. But let's leave it alone.''

Someone with more talent will no doubt post this article (if not already)... but at least the guy admitted to being wrong i guess.

One last thing I forgot to add to the GOOD:
Lyon back as our clearly no. 1 goal kicker. Wasn't that great to see, perhaps Dessie does read this forum!

The really really good.Our 2nd half fades are now 2nd half power plays. We just get better as the game goes on and we seem to have a plan for everything this year. From our fitness to our structure in defense and attack as well as our use of the bench and rotating the young guys it is just fantastic to watch this team grow in confidence and structure. Smashing the Broncos on their home turf it can only get better and that will be at WIN stadium in a few weeks. BRING ON THE GOONS.

Good- "we always win in Queensland"

Bad- They won't be back again until round 26

Ugly- some very "ugly" MWTS nursing sore heads on Saturday and even right up until Sunday....no names here BUT....Bones still looked crook today even after a relativly light day yesterday.

Can't wait to se everyone again in about 3 months

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8