The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly report - rd 14 2013

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member

Friday night at Brookie called for a bumper crowd and a gallant 5 day turnaround to right the ship and send the DesDogs packing. What would unfold?

Read the full article

Would the video ref have overturned the Reynolds penalty though ? Captains challenge or not ? I can't be sure what the penalty was for exactly, but it was my understanding that it was because the ref had called held and we went on with it. The fact that Reynolds ended up flipped on his back somewhat spectacularly and overtly probably only made Hayne more likely to blow the penalty, I don't think the penalty was for a dangerous tackle. So on what basis does the video ref overturn the decision ?

It was a gut wrenching penalty, but ask yourself this. It's golden point, it's 5th tackle, they have only just made it to half way, you have the player well contained and the ball locked up, and the ref has called held. Why, oh why, are you reaching down between his legs and putting yourself and the team in a vulnerable position by giving the idiots in pink a reason to blow a penalty ?? If we just hold Reynolds instead of trying to put him on the deck, then they play the ball, kick to a corner and we get another crack. Dumb play by us.

The Reynolds try on the other hand was outright cheating. Sure Hayne called "try" so the video ref needs enough evidence to overturn the decision, but I don't know what footage they were watching, but every camera angle I saw showed the ball being put down short of the line and then control being lost. This is up there with Hollywood Harrigans howler a few years back when Saints (Gasnier ??) bounced one over the line against us and he ruled try.

I also think you are a little harsh on Hiku with the comment that he stifled the attack. Everyone on that right edge got snuffed by Morris, he was in Peta's hip pocket every time we ran a second man play to him. Hiku had no room to move, and that's as much DCE's fault as anyones. Morris shut down Jamie as well with ease.

Wolf looked ineffective with dummy half runs and kick returns last night, as he has done for a couple of weeks. Suddenly he looks very unlikely to break the line and he looks small and easily manhandled. Don't know what his stats were, but I don't recall a lot of metres. We missed Matai on that front last night, he was clearly in some discomfort and couldn't add his normal big efforts running out of our defensive zone.

Anyway, it's been a tough period, another bye and hopefully a resurgence with some troops back (Brett and Richie). Anyone got any word on Kingy ? he is still listed as indefinite and I have seen it written as season ending in a couple of places.

Kingy said on Ch 9 before the game last night he'd be back next year.

Well done as always cf2. My biggest hope is they take heart from their great fightback and use it as a launching pad for the rest of the season. And my biggest frustration is the use of Tommy Symonds. Screaming TALENT GOING TO WASTE!

Excellent report and good to see a serious call for Ennis to be binned (or repeatedly marched 10) for constant whinging and complaining about everything. Blind Freddy can see that it is a rank display designed to massively slow the game down and his consistent breaching of the captains role in questioning calls must be ruled against. He must be stopped. Plus Reynolds milking. Hayne should be stood down for the rest of the season or sacked forever.

Got to say watching the replay, Hayne was really clear that the extra time penalty was for going on for the tackle after being called held. Reynold's flip was therefore irrelevant?

The "try" short of the line really puzzles me. Hayne was in a perfect position, right over the ball. He obviously felt it hit the line, yet the camera angles appear to show otherwise. Why did he even bother with the video ref?

There were other ref decisions, or no decisions, that should have been called throughout the game.

Out on a limb with this, but our right side attack is being read like a book, and it's been that way for weeks. Something needs to change. We weren't good enough last night except for those last 15 minutes. Where has that been hiding?

The great positive I found was we were patient - something lacking this year, and Glenn Stewart is running forwards, not sideways.

When was the last time Golden Point was decided by a penalty, and a 10-metre backchat? I thought refs used a bit of common sense in these critical minutes and turned a blind eye to minor infringements.
I think this refereeing performance is symptomatic of what's wrong with RL officials these days - they don't have a feel for the game. They pick on such minor transgressions that have no bearing on the match, and stifle flow. Thus, their influence on results is much greater than ever.
With so many tries scored through bombs, all it take is a penalty to be within range of a bomb, and then it's a 50-50 chance a try will result.
Last night we were behind 12-nil and hadn't missed a tackle!

you also forgot the penalty against dce for a 'late chargedown' on dogkinson late in the first half. replays showed that he hit him just as he kicked the ball. luckily they didn't score from that also

A cloud of befuddlement still lingers after that doozy. I don't know what to make of Manly in 2013. A hearty write-up cf2 and an interesting point regarding the written media's 'Pollyanna' approach to this match. Was it not a tad surreal listening to Des in the post match press conference telling the media how to cover the story? Evidently it seemed to work or perhaps the NRL has convinced the media to show mercy on a sport whose reputation has taken a beating recently. It was as equally strange to hear Toovey say the words, "we weren't good enough", which is the honest truth and refreshing to hear him say.
Good comments by all posters - pretty much said it all.

I am not too down about the result. These days the coaching catchcry seems to be 'it's all about the process' (or is that just Des Hasler/John Novak?).
To come back from nil-18 the way we did showed that mentally we have the right stuff.
However – we were pounded by their big men who made good ground all night, and we might need a different strategy next time we come up against them.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
I am not too down about the result. These days the coaching catchcry seems to be 'it's all about the process' (or is that just Des Hasler/John Novak?).
To come back from nil-18 the way we did showed that mentally we have the right stuff.
However – we were pounded by their big men who made good ground all night, and we might need a different strategy next time we come up against them.

Lets hope there IS a next time, keep losing by 2 points and that won't happen

Manly let another game slip by not changing their point of attack till the last 20 minutes :(

The left side raids were reminiscent of our comeback in Perth :angel:

Hiku lacks Snake's speed so only appears to stifle our attack.
He was however, the only Manly Player chasing the kick when DCE went for a FG that ended up in the in goal - so obviously Hiku is thinking of all contingencies. Really growing as a Player each and every game :angel:

But Gifty holding up the pass for that extra second is what throws our RHS.:s

We have 17 days to regroup and I have every confidence that Manly can iron out any issues as a unified, resolute group of Professionals.:idea:

I hope that in the Video Sessions, the Players hear the truly heartfelt 'Maaanly, Maanly' that resounded from Matai's try to the very end of the Game (Not surprised that Gifty didn't hear the single 'held' bleat by that egotistical dropkick:mad:).

The sound reverberated like the 'NWS, NSW' of 80,000 at ANZ Stadium.
I am a fully uninhibited vocal supporter , but I have not heard the whole Manly Crowd chant as one, for a long time - young and old were all on their feet even in the Stands. :angel:

It was spine tingling and hopefully Manly take on our passion and bring home another Premiership in 2013 :idea:

That is what was truly great about Brookie on 14 June, 2013:heart:

@HappilyManly...

At home (in Brisbane) listening to the crowd THUNDERING the Manly chant was truly inspiring stuff!!

Spine tingling indeed :D

I so wish the result could have been better but the crowd support sounded magnificent, and I hope the boys know how much we love them all :)

Hopefully, even though we lost, this game kick starts our momentum on a charge to the premiership!

The boys have the talent, and the guts to get there: they've just gotta believe in themselves :)

I agree with both views of hiku. Often he is the player tackled during a sweeping set backline move. Timing and speed not there yet. However he gets involved in the thick of things and is very tenacious, despite his lack of bulk. He is very promising in this regard. He may be more a number 6 than a number 1 though, and I can't see him getting in front of kieran ever.

Mark from Brisbane said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:

Lets hope there IS a next time, keep losing by 2 points and that won't happen

Exactly, we are not that far from being out of the eight, so our position is a tad misleading! We need a big scalp to restore a bit of belief I feel...We need to beat the Roosters

This is a really good report and reflects how frustrated many of us feel about the game last Friday night.

I really agree with the captains call, there is no doubt that the pinkies got it wrong on the big calls.

I also agree its time to scrap golden point, it makes you wanna puke when we get no points after losing to a dodgy goldent point penallty and teams like Parra who got belted get the same.

I'm still too annoyed to read what is always a good wrap up by cf2....because it'd probably make me more annoyed reliving it.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6