The good, the bad and the ugly report - rd 14

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

cf2 is back

Reserve Grader
THE GOOD:
What can you say about a game that was never going to be a true contest without the best player in the NRL? Stats don't lie and 7/26 wins without Thurston pretty much summed up the Cowboys chances against an on fire Manly team. Clearly Dessie's pre game speech was to hit them hard and fast and we didn't disappoint with a lightning 12-0 lead. In fact we were so dominant that they were forced to make a staggering 55 tackles to just 9 from us in the first 15 minutes. The big surprise however out of all that was that our incredibly impressive start didn't result in a sizeable half time lead. The Cowboys sure tried hard but the 2011 fortress Brookie defence was on show again and completely shut them down each and every time they tried to crack us. Even an unlucky Oldfield kick retrieve spill in our 20 failed to net them points.

Dessies half time speech was no doubt a repeat to start as fast as possible and once again we responded with Matai's lightning quick 42nd minute try which effectively ended the game there and then. A rudderless Cowboys were never going to mount any challenge from 18-0 and the remaining 37 minutes became a fairly dull mixture of good but not great attack from us, a continuation of our very impressive brick wall defence, and a boring procession of Maxwell penalties doing their best to suffocate the game. (see THE BAD below).

In terms of individual performances our forwards were all superb. George lead the way with his gut busting (sorry) 158 metres, ably supported by a very hard working Kingy. Glenn had another strong game and seems to look so much better with Brett in the team, Ballin threw in his regulation 80 minute 40 tackles (ok 39), Joe ran the ball hard as usual, and perhaps the best news of all was the fantastic improvement of Tony Williams who was a whisker away from bursting holes in their defence every time he got his hands on the ball. Finally it seems he's figured out how damaging his mac truck rig can be. An even more mouth watering prospect is the very strong sense that he can be twice as damaging if he keeps applying himself like this.

Foran was (as always) a tantalisingly exciting danger with the ball in his hands, but for the 2nd week running he was largely able to hand the reins to the rapidly blossoming DCE. Once again he took ownership of the game with professional ease directing the plays and plotting his perfectly weighted kicks. Matai was a standout in the backs with 208 blockbusting metres, and of course we were all rewarded with another two sizzling Brett tries, the 2nd half one being a an absolute breathtaking gem, which in the process has surely put to bed any lingering doubts over his blistering speed.

Special mention goes to Darcy Lussick making his debut and looking a very likely prospect. I stood next to him at full time as he chatted to a friend on the fence and he commented on how the pace of the game really amazed him. Not such a surprising comment given the obvious massive step up from the lower grades, but nonetheless revealing given he said that after just a few minutes on the field he already felt buggered! Another really exciting addition to our depth is a very pleasing thing.

As for Man of the Match, whilst Brett, Glenn, Matai's and DCE's performances were all worthy, I couldn't go past big George, he just brained them all night and again was rewarded with a semi trailer through the security gates try.

THE BAD:
What is it with these refs and their hunting in packs obsession to find as many penalties as possibles? Listening to them through Sports Ears is mind numbingly annoying as they compete with each other to find a penalty in literally every single tackle or play the ball. I'm surprised Maxwell didn't hand out the usual barrage of warnings to Watmough even if he was in the grandstand. And what's with his speech the guy can barely string a sentence together no wonder both captains seemed confused by his decisions and stuttered explanations. Please can we get some decent refs?

THE UGLY:
Once again the weather gods did us no favours. How many home games is that now in 2011 marred by wet miserable weather? The damage to the gate must be crippling to our accountants. My seat high in the Jane Try is warm and toasty but with Brookie's 3rd world facilities you can hardly blame the majority of the hill fans for staying home. It's a massive shame given a Manly team this good deserves 16,000 plus to every home game.

But let's end with a GOOD reprise. What a team we have, the enormous spirit bonding the team is a site to behold, and there's an undeniable excitement lying ahead for us all. Bring on the Saints.

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
Great summary as always. Apart from George Rose, Matai, T-Rex ect all having great games the main pleasing aspect for me is how well DCE is controlling the game, its like he has been in the top grade for a few years. He knows when to slow the game down and really does have an excellent kicking game. The other is rediscovering just how well Snake anticipates kicks in behind the line, its starting to look like 08 with Ox's shorts kicks regularly finding Snake for a try, the difference is we now have both DCE and Foran putting in precision kicks :) Loving it!!!

The reffing was horrid, so many interesting calls that went NQ's way, it was like they were told it had to be a contest, and that one team shouldn't run away with it.

Poor form from Maxwell, he did his best to bring the coyboys in and still failed, meanwhile the report on Hall was fairly soft as well.

Another good report cf2.
I feel for Hally. How can u hate a bloke for trying to take Glen's head? Hally was still our GF 08 member. You'd think he could work on his tan now living in NQ.

The poor reffing is not as obvious when our team racks up 20 points against the opposition.

I said it last year AND it's still happening....the refs try and "even the game up" with penalties in second halves, I still reckon it's happening in most games where a blowout occurs in the first half.

For reasons I can never understand the NRL stats page once again shows different figures this morning to what they'd posted last night. (What happens do they guess and then update?)

Anyhow not a big difference but the main corrections of note are:
Matai 218 metres (even better!); George 149 metres (still v good); and Ballin 45 tackles (of course it was well over 40!).

Also very interesting to note that despite the mountain of defence the Cows were forced to make in the first 15-20 minutes we in fact ended up making more tackles in the game (356-349) no doubt courtesy of those 8 game wrecking Maxwell penalties.

The other VERY significant stand out stat was Tony Williams playing the entire 80 minutes.

Des seems to have absolutely perfected the rotation of game time in our squad which will be a massive bonus come finals time.

Great to see Brett looking bit sharpoer each week, smart in passing when running back with ball a couple of times , just look after yourself Snake, we need you

Great reading on this crappy morning Cf2. Btw who said Brett's lost his speed? (not in your report). I'm sure I've read it somewhere. I saw a few signs last night that suggested he still has it. Plus last night would have done wonders for his confidence. That ref is a hopeless joke. He clearly didn't take the conditions into account being as thick as he clearly is. Plus he can't talk either.
The best part of the night for me was as you've pointed out, T Rex's new found play. He was awesome and has improvement left in him. How good is that. Foran and DCE are stars. Big stars.
Love the way DCE does the lap around the ground with his hand outstretched - he clearly loves what he's doing.

On TV it looked like Darcy was puffing very early into his 1st stint. He will be better for his 1st run and now will know what is expected in the top grade.

Good luck for a successful and prosperous career.

Thanks for the report again CF2. George and Kingy layed the platform very early on and after the 2 quick tries, NQ were never really going to challenge us. I must say our defence is very much like the 1978/2008 teams where everybody just works overtime for the guy next to them. T Rex's game last night is how Des probably wants him playing every week. Strong runs in tight coming off our own tryline and then when we get up towards halfway, running on the edges off Foran and DCE.

What happened to the Oldfield run-away try that wasn't. I thought you could smack the arm holding the ball and if it came loose, it was yours. The refs seemed to think it was a knock-on. Strange.

bazeagle said:
T Rex's new found play. He was awesome and has improvement left in him. How good is that. Foran and DCE are stars. Big stars.
Love the way DCE does the lap around the ground with his hand outstretched - he clearly loves what he's doing.

Yea, it's great to see T-Rex develop and he went well as a forward last night.

It's also great to see Foz & DCE continue to play well and execute lots of good plays in both defense & offense - together with Matty @ dummy half most of the time, Snake injecting himself when he sees the opportunities, Killer doing likewise and threatening when he gets' the ball and then Kiwi Steve pulling out his own terrorizing plays our boys really do compliment the huge efforts and momentum gains by our forwards.
Beautiful to see it all happen in the Maroon & White!

I hoped more players would come right up to the fences for the fans for the lap around the ground after but so stoked the Matty & Daly did so with such enthusiasm!
They were happy to both sign my cap (stoked) and all the fans really, really loved giving them hi-5's, shaking their hands and getting some photos with them.
Let's see more Manly boys do that at every Brookie game!

Got to spend a little more time than usual at the Leagues Club this trip and it was pretty good.
The food was good, the staff were mostly good: especially the very friendly lady at the front reception during mid-afternoon, a nice welcome!
The club facilities were ok but they need:
- A few more reasonable size flat panel tvs near some of the others showing fox sports 1, 2, & 3 simultaneously most of the time,
- One of those TAB touch-screen units that are at many venues these days,
- To do something about the filthy stink of cigarette smoke that comes in near the pokies and near the food area - the prevailing southerly/winter onshore winds tend to blow the stench in much of the time and it's just fu**ed,
- To print some better MWSE coasters - the relatively plain ones they have right through the place these days just don't cut it, I have a good stash of the "You're on Sea Eagles Turf" (on one side, Tooheys New on the other) ones from a couple years ago which are great, would love to see some newer cooler ones every now and then.
Still I thoroughly enjoy going to the club, the one I am most proud to be a member of, and the undercover carpark over the road is great.

Love how Brookvale Oval is a smoke-free venue too - HUGE commendation to the admins making it so, only smelt the filthy stench a couple of times during the entire time there yesterday, including one fu**stick smoking outside the fence on the southern side behind the stand/food/bar buildings there - ffs do it DOWNWIND idiot.

Other than that really enjoyed the entire day/evening, even in the wet, especially to see a solid win by our Manly boys on the park.
Go Manly!

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8