The good, the bad and the ugly report - rd 15

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

cf2 is back

Reserve Grader
THE GOOD:
Wow I'm still catching my breath, and that's just from trying to get through the hundreds of fans stranded outside the ground at kick off. It pays to be a season ticket holder folks. (But what was that ridiculously long queue about? Did they eventually all get in?)

Well what we saw last night was a team who came out incredibly focused, intent on causing carnage through the ruck, eager to run the ball scarily wide and fast, and overall absolutely dead set determined to come away with a vital win. I'm talking about Parramatta. How good were they? Very, very good. When the half time siren sounded Dessie sat in the box seemingly unable to move and with a look of deep concern on his face. Hardly surprising seeing as he'd seen us seemingly give up more line breaks in one half that we surely had all season with Hayne on fire. With that sort of opening you'd expect the half time score to be well in their favour, but of course as we all know Manly 2011 are a tough nut to crack and with everything Parra threw at us we threw most of it back, complete with some blistering attack from the Stewarts and Wolfie including Brett's 58th try from 59 Brookie games. (Is that incredible or what?!)

So to the second half. Parra threw even more at us and scored early to narrow our lead to just 16-14. Our fatigue factor became a real concern with only 2 on the bench given T Rex was long gone up the tunnel with a busted 1st half hammie and Mauro was curiously left under wraps again. Parra's 2nd try to grab an 18-16 lead was quickly followed by a 65th minute deadly soaring 40/20. From that set you could smell Parra going in for the finishing kill, and when McGuire made a surge for the try line it looked like game over, but a determined George threw the whole pie shop on top of him to not only miraculously save the killer try but in the process dislodging the ball from a totally stunned McGuire's grasp.

Don't you just love those momentum swinging moments? With 14 minutes to go it became a real arm wrestle test of endurance. We lifted. They lifted. Hayne kept sending booming kicks over the dead ball line. Was that a great territorial tactic or was it in fact doing us a big breath catching favour? I'm thinking the latter. 10 to go it's still an arm wrestle. 7 to go surely our lucks run out and where going to lose our first game at home. 5 to go it's impossible isn't it they've just been too damn good tonight? 4.5 to go and the Manly 2011 'we are NEVER beaten' team of champions surges one more time down the right hand side. DCE pops a great ball over a few heads for Brett and Jamie spin to spin it out for a Wolfie desperate sideline run. The great Luke Burt makes the tackle, but somehow, (and I've no idea how even after checking the replay this morning), Wolfie gets a bending speculator kick in field, the exhausted Parra cover defence are beaten to the chase by the ultimate terrior athletes Foran and Ballin, and it's Foran who dives on the ball inches from the dead ball line to seal an impossible victory.

Brookie erupts as one. We look to the Fox box a metre behind me for the verdict and before the video ref's even hit the button Warren Smith and Brandy both shoot us beaming "it's a try" thumbs ups. Euphoria all around, and what great blokes to share the moment with the sea of maroon below them despite of course being in the thick of the commentary live on air, and in Brandy's case not exactly known for liking us (note Daley sat there very quietly, hmmm discuss).

Ahhh you gotta love your footy.

Individually, where to start again? Everyone did their job to a tee. Our forwards never stopped working under immense strain given only 2 on the bench. (Dessie we love your rotation system but could there possibly be a good reason to give Mauro just 3 end of games minutes in a game that exhausting?). All the backs were good too on a night when they were on triple Hayne danger alert. Brett gave us some mouth watering tastes of his blistering pace being right back in tune, and for mine the standout and man of the match was Wolfie. That diving kick in field won us the game, simple as that.

THE BAD:
Some unusual holes in defence, but were they bad or was it an on fire determined Parra. I think the latter given they threw everything at us all night long. I am in awe of Ballin's work rate and weekly 45 tackles, but he's gotta add some attack to that like the great no 9's do. Perhaps pretty tough given he works his butt off for the full 80, but I'm just talking some a few dummy half sprints here and there. Other than that my only complaints were the injuries, T Rex will be sorely missed as will the unsung hero of our pack big Joe Guluvao. I noticed Kingy skipped the victory lap and hobbled up the tunnel too. Does anyone know when Shane Rodney is back?

THE UGLY:
Brookie. I've loved it like a brother for decades, but taking my girlfriend for her first ever game last night highlighted how embarrassingly inadequate it is. Hopelessly long queue's outside the ground at kick off (13,900 is hardly a full house), dreadful catering and toilet facilities, and well, need I go on. We simply need a Bluetongue dropped into Brookie and very soon.

Again let's finish on a positive, that gutsy win was the sort that wins premierships. Bring on the Dragons.

Nice summation again, we really were not able to tie up the ball, they just kept finding another pass all the time, some shocking reffing added to the night,
How Hindys wasn't called knocked on astounded me
whats the go lately with making everyone pack in the scrims properly

Good summation of the night. Refs very bad, Laurie Daley at his worst and we didn't play very well. I thought we made the Slime look good with a tired game. Playing Joe with a busted hand when we had a fresh forward on the bench is weird. Anyway a wins a win and we will have to play much better in the Gong for a win down there.

Reading the G,B & U report takes me right back there last night. I was gutted that we would lose and for all money we had lost until that kick from Wolfie. And never say die Foran sprinting for the ball. Does footy get any better? Yep. 40-0 is better.
The refs are a joke, as always. Why don't they see what thousands in the crowd so clearly spot? Like Hindmarsh's knock on? There's a thousand refs out there on the pitch so surely one of them can spot such an obvious infringement? That knock on was a pivotal moment created out of pressure from us and deserved a reward. Great effort to hang in there. If we play as flat as we were next Monday night Saints will hammer us. Gotta hope that doesn't happen.

The good is the belief..when down & out during games finding something to fight back & pull it out of the fire. Also Snake sizzling thru holes.

The bad was lack of energy & the best sign of this was no pressure on their kickers & lack of aggression in the tackles. This is the only real area we lost last night & it was almost enough to cost the 2 points.....

The ugly was when they crossed over to Hawkhead Daley & Hindys bumcrack :p

Post this here too
Triple m pod cast is a great listen on the summation of the game

http://austereo.castmetrix.net/podcast/378302368699186065/1/TheVerdictRound15.mp3

Nice wrap up. I think Brandy is a fan of ours though. He is always wrapping Manly. I haven't watched the complete game yet but he is on our side especially against big nose.

I sat right in front of the Fox commentators window last night and as Cf2 said in his report, when Foran scored the winner, Brandy was beaming as he described the first replay on air live. He was thumbs up, nodding it's a try, to us as was Warren Smith. Daley was slumped down next to them looking glum. Poor old Laurie. He clearly does not like us at all.

I don't think Brandy that bad as a commentator (but needs to avoid commentating Riff games).
Find him actually liking Manly in most games he does for us maybe it's because his sons play in Manly's junior comp

Great report as always,love reading these,one bad thing from last night was the refs as usual,how wasn't Haynes pass for their second half try ruled forward,it had to be about a metre forward.

Good sum up, I thought there were some signs that our team was a little down in intensity from its recent high standard. But in the last year or two if we were a little down we would lose. So that is good!

Excellent summation.
I seem to be more excited with the win than many posters, believing it to be up there with the early win against Easts.
Our guys are not robots, and it was apparent that the weeks of tough, high-intensity football had worn them down a little. Parramatta, on the other hand, had everything to gain. It was a must win for them, and they played the best they have all year.
To have the courage and determination to win when you are not at your best is a mark of a champion team. This group of players always competes to the final whistle. That's what all fans want. I think I'm right in saying that they have not been beaten when leading at half time.
When you consider that Kite and Hoppa were out, T-Rex off, Joe busted, Choc and King with ankle injuries, and a slippery surface I reckon the effort was tremendous. The game as a whole was of a high standard. I only wish it had been on a Sunday afternoon, in the sun, when the standard, and the crowd, would have been even higher. It was, however, a bumper crowd for a Monday night.

'The Who' couldn't agree more as I said in my report Parra were hell bent on winning last night but we overcame several adversities to post a really gutsy win.

As you say that win will really count when it comes to finals time.

castle eagle said:
did anyone else think the second parra try was a double movement?

Maybe, but it deserved a try. Agree with cf2 and who; top win against a team that threw everything but the kitchen sink at us. reasons they lost: a couple of critical errors when they could have nailed it, and a stupid kicking game (1 40/20 vs 2 out on the fulls and a hatful of kicks through the deadball line to the macdonalds (it's still there isn't it?).

Anyway; that was a kind of whirlwind assault where they tried to get back to the form they had a couple of years ago with everyone throwing the ball around and backing up. But they couldn't go the distance; suck **** eels!

Good workout for next week, but the dragons don't have that kind of game in them; they'll try to break us down and put their moves on us, like we'll try to do to them. Dragons will bring their A game so it will be a good mid-term exam.

we'll miss big joe more even than T-rex. his work in the 2nd half was awesome. and kingy was great when the pressure was on too. Respect the princess! And how good was robbo, just came back and played a blinder.

even without t-rex, hopoate, joe g we will give them a game I think.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6