The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly report - rd 19 2013

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member

A rare Sunday afto at Brookie presented the opportunity to cement a 3rd straight win and put a stronger grip on the coveted top 4 position.

by CF2

Read the full article

David Williams: As good as many of his barnstorming runs were, the triply alarming habit of rushing way out of the line in defence has got to be fixed. Cost us a try and could have worryingly cost 1-2 more.

.....Agreed. I'm not sure what the go is here. Why did this change of 'tactic' come about.

Didn't work for merrit in soo 2, nor for the storm when the dogs thumped them 39-zip.

At one stage, titans were on our line and he's run all the way in and behind the tackled player in what I'm assuming is in case there was an offload. Thankfully the titans went right the next play.

Agree that Wolfie needs to be leashed to our corner post in defense.:idea: His enthusiasm is commendable, his application is not:-/

I thought that Buhrer's crossfield running was accentuated even more today:dodgy:

Brenton even had Chez physically push on him, and yelling for the pass - why didn't he :huh:

There was one moment when Richie lifted the leg of an already tackled player, we all held our breaths - WTF is he thinking :huh:, it earned them a penalty :mad:

manlyfan76 said:
agreed about the crowd, Have we forgotten that we love Sunday footy at Brooky?

Was Darren there? Didn't help that there was about 5 Titans fans that turned up.... I offered a mate who's a Titans fan a lift to the game but he was like "nah not going Manly will win".

Great write up as usual. I was at the game and I would of thought 14,000 easy why wouldn't you turn and watch Manly smash the Titans? It was a great day.

The Eagle Has Landed said:
Great write up as usual. I was at the game and I would of thought 14,000 easy why wouldn't you turn and watch Manly smash the Titans? It was a great day.
Especially, because they beat us in Round 3 on their turf!

Nice write-up, CF2. You need more of the opening stanza before the individual assessments. The couple of paragraphs you used to include were very refreshing & humorous.

But in saying that, a pleasure to read, weekly.

Thanks for all the positive feedback each week much appreciated.

Point taken Lismore will try to expand.

To be honest I wrote yesterday's report at 1am while grimacing over Adam Scott's struggles at the British Open and simultaneously ignoring the fact we were getting smashed one Fox channel away at Lords but Dan must have been up too since he posted it at 2.44am!

One thing I meant to include was acknowledging Jamie Lyon and Brett's amazing milestones yesterday. Simple incredible.

We just need Beaver to come back in 2014 and play 7 games off the bench to knock off Lockyer and re claim his rightful mantle for the most NRL games played in history. To think he's been in the UK for 5 years (yes, I know a much easier comp) but in theory he could possibly have added another 100 at least to his NRL tally.

Also for anyone that missed it really high praise from Gus in today's SMH - lovely to read this and shows the respect for our great team:
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/few-ruffled-feathers-selfconfidence-the-wind-beneath-sea-eagles-wings-20130721-2qcqh.html

The Eagle Has Landed said:

I was there too and thought exactly the same re crowd. :shy:
My young son loved it. Wish we had more Sunday games.

Thanks cf2, I agree totally but if I may be so bold...

The Good: The class of Brett Stewart and our backline finally gelling in attack.

The Bad: Dropped balls, loose carries, forced passes, bad passes, forward passes, no passes and more unnecessary pressure. (Thank God Sezer missed that final conversion making it an 8 point rather than a 6 point game, and a special thanks should go to John Cartwrong for leaving Gred Bird, Nate Myles' forehead and Wizzleman out of this one.
Imagine if Buhrer at left centre had to take on Jamalasaurus...there's a lot to be thankful for after this one).

The Ugly: Dilliams...AGAIN!?!? Donny is that tape around his head too tight perhaps?
Jamie Lyon and that expensive right foot. Soward takes his headgear off, maybe you should take your shoes or pants off. I love the guy but he needs to be replaced as kicker. He's learned an erroneous style and it is too late to rectify it...i mean he's so insecure with his kicking ability that he barely makes the distance in an attempt to have as little effect upon the ball as possible. I think Brett Stewart should take up the duty of kicking as he is the most composed member of the team and could be taught the correct way to kick a ball without having to un-learn inherent bad habits.

The Bizarre: When I watch Buhrer play I automatically think of State of Origin then of Ricky Stuart then of Parramatta then of Hitler's last moments in the bunker. Oh how I wish we could turn back time and arrange for buhrer to go to Penrith and Dean(not be so)Whare and remain at Manly...Whare's on fire this year. Going on statistics alone, he just about the best player of 2013. He even convinced the video Ref; due to the fact that electrons repel one another and atoms are almost entirely empty space, by the known laws of physics his hand could not have been touching the sideline when he scored on Sunday.

The Peculiar: As a mad Manly supporter whom even has his own pre-game rituals just to watch the damn thing (oh and that loss to the warriors WAS my fault, I wore the correct socks, undies and usual game day apparel, had the talisman in left breast pocket etc...but f#$*ing forgot to wear the amulet, aaargh!) I've got to say and perhaps i'm not alone but I've only truly enjoyed one single match this year...the win against the Tigers was the visual and emotional equivalent of being water-boarded for 80 minutes. Whilst in all other fixtures it seems as though we've either done just enough to win or just enough to lose. There was a sense of pride seeping through the numbness after the drawn Melbourne 'golden egg n spoon race' due to the maniacal defensive effort by our boys. But it seems we've made every game so much harder for ourselves than need be. The only game I can say that I enjoyed whole heartedly because it epitomised the true Manly spirit, grit, determination and toughness was the loss to South Sydney. It's also been said that we were their toughest opponent thus far.

The Conclusion: After a horrible mid-season to forget, we've beaten the Hayne-less wooden spooners, a heavily depleted out of form cellar-dwelling Cowboys and a starless middle rung Titans. What does this mean in the grand scheme of footy? We have two more training runs with the Tigers and Eels to get some consistency and combo's clicking. The litmus test will come when we face the enigmatic Warriors in three weeks time and from then on it's pretty much finals rehearsals with a very tough run home.
If we can keep this current roster on the park free of further injuries plus bolstered by the inclusion of Symonds and Rose (sorry doubters but we need the pure beef of Georgey, his fitness isn't really a factor when you've got two bench players i.e. Hasson, Gower, Sao, Skinner, Lefao etc..only getting between 5 and 15 minutes of game time) we may just hit peak form at exactly the right time. We really need Glenn Stewart (The man formerly know as, 'our best') to regain fitness and confidence of old. Glenn playing well is the X-factor that might see us match it with the top 3.
I would think about giving some respite to Ballin, Watmough, Horo and Matai over the next two weeks if my name was Geoff and I started every sentence with, "oh nah yeah"... If we play intelligent and disciplined football we should be able to afford the opportunity for some players to freshen up before the finals.

Wolfie, please don't do that again...please....please...seriously...****ing PLEASE!!!:(

This has to be in the Good Section:

Manly Sea Eagles @manlyseaeagles
We got a backline full house yesterday, with 1-5 all scoring! Check out all our tries again here: bit.ly/15A2t5p #gomanly

about 8 hours ago

Can't agree big bird. Buhrer has been impressive the past few weeks. Scored a great try and set one up, made 100 m and 30 odd tackles. Whare does not fit into our team and who can forget his shocker vs the dogs in the finals last year.

Dan said:

A rare Sunday afto at Brookie presented the opportunity to cement a 3rd straight win and put a stronger grip on the coveted top 4 position.

by CF2

Read the full article
Great report, I'll also go with your summation - we took our foot off the pedal in the second half because we knew we had them well beaten, then we turned up the heat again and tucked them up in bed.

The real ugly

That crowd was appalling. I doubt it's people on this forum, but if the best we can do is under 12,000 on a good day, there's no chance of any redevelopment, ever. Why would they bother spending money when the games aren't well attended and there's huge pressure on the infrastructure to handle it.

Kind of sad really. And it just adds weight to the argumment that we'll end up at the SFS.

Eagles Terrorist said:
The real ugly

That crowd was appalling. I doubt it's people on this forum, but if the best we can do is under 12,000 on a good day, there's no chance of any redevelopment, ever. Why would they bother spending money when the games aren't well attended and there's huge pressure on the infrastructure to handle it.

Kind of sad really. And it just adds weight to the argumment that we'll end up at the SFS.
The SFS does not even reach double figures in some matches . We were playing an out of town team and that explains the small crowd and i believe if we were to have played them at the SFS the crowd would not have been any better in fact i think it would have been worse and the match atmoshere non existent

BOZO said:
Eagles Terrorist said:
The real ugly

The SFS does not even reach double figures in some matches . We were playing an out of town team and that explains the small crowd and i believe if we were to have played them at the SFS the crowd would not have been any better in fact i think it would have been worse and the match atmoshere non existent

I thought that too about the away team, but really, we've got to get more that 11,000 supporters to a very rare home Sunday game. If I was making the investment in a redevelopment and saw that I'd just say there isn't enough support. I'd still go to the SFS, just would hate to have lost the chance to show support to Brookie from a wider supporter base.

I'll say it again, behaviour of some Manly 'supporters' has become so rude and hostile and unacceptable that I, and many others, would prefer to watch it on TV.
And thanks for another brilliant report.
Love those boys.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4