The good, the bad and the ugly report - rd 7

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

cf2 is back

Reserve Grader
The Good:
Defence, defence, defence. In the first 12 minutes alone they had a stack of chances to score but we were an absolute brick wall, and that set up the rest of the match and the win there and then. Hugely impressed with the team spirit and the hard work we are almost Saints like in defence, plus our attack too looked extremely sharp with some wonderful sweeping movements across the field. How we didn't score 30 plus points was probably more bad luck (not to mention the penalty count) than anything we did wrong. In terms of player performances the standouts were MOM Hopoate who threatened every time he had the ball, took all the high balls calmly, and thrilled us all with that fantastic kick return break down the hill sideline. Foran was once again superb with some incisive running and fantastic balls. Matai was a constant danger in attack and DCE has continued to grow and chance his arm plus his kicking game was again excellent. How lovely was that Cliffy-esque dummy in the first half. Our forwards once again more than laid the platform with every one of them putting in a huge effort, but none more than Glenn (40 tackles), Watmough (37 tackles) plus Ballin and King who ran hard. And the very best part of tonight: a) No injuries; b) The fact that it feels like we are still only at about 70% of our true potential in attack c) And the fact we have tremendous depth with players like Robinson, Harrison, Rodney and of course Brett and Wolf in the wings. Folks we have a football team here who've quietly racked up a very pleasing 5/7 wins.

The bad:
Not a lot. Whilst the win was never in doubt with our superb defence, the fact that we didn't put them away at 20-4 was a bit disappointing. But hey it's still 2 points and that score totally and utterly flattered them given the 2 very late tries.

The ugly:
Just two things. Referee Robinson who tried his best to destroy the game with his penalty obsession. Was our discipline that bad? I don't think so. The crowd. Sure 14,000 is not bad, and yes I know it was Good Friday, but gees it's disappointing not to see 16-17,000 on a pretty warm night with a Manly team as good as this.

Thanks cf2 i totally agree with everything said, sums up my thoughts exactly. Now we wil spend the week hoping Hoppa gets signed up long term again :)

Excellent. That ref is a total tool. Prancing around. The ugly: its so not about you Jason Robinson, so stop blowing your damn whistle.
The good: early still in the season and we don't want to be peaking now. So far to go and so much improvement yet in this side.
The bad: Penrith.

Agree there cf2 - terrific wrap.

Good - probably the most important to me were the efforts of King, Kite and also Joe in the opening 20. They laid the platform in both defence and hard running. Work rate of Glenn was huge and Choc too. Des's use of replacements was well timed and never gave the Panfers a breather. We are still a long way from our best which is a terrific thought - bagging convincing wins and a lot of polish for later in the season.

Bad - too many penalties again in the play the ball area.

The ugly - trying to work out who gets the 3,2,1 this week.

Loved watching the Manly team go well in so many plays last night!
Geez when they concentrate, work together and obviously form up based on Dessie's training it is so sweet to see.

Steve on the rampage, good tries and a big smile is awesome.
Glen effort massive, Brent too!
Choc big effort, Hoppa showing good class for his age, Jamie on his game, Keiran putting in.
Actually like seeing Dale put in like he is too, even if he messes up some kicks - I reckon Dessie won't be too worried by his errors, he is trying with his instincts and developing OK I reckon.

Too many silly mistakes still, but as I posted elsewhere it's not too bad this time of year - they want to reduce those heavily as the finals approach later.

Looked great @ Brookie with a reasonable crowd, would have loved to be there.
SWEET WIN MANLY!

The Rediculous.
a). How does that ref get a first grade gig each week. b).How the West Tigers can be at $10 and we are $13. What juicy odds we are.

Without being disrespectful to dce he could have come under the ugly for those to 40/20 attempts that went out on the full, a better attacking side than penrith could have put us to the sword.

Agree with most, however I'd like to add:
The bad: T Rex, the most polarising player on this forum, had no impact from the bench. He comes on with less than 20 minutes to play and, against a tiring team, doesn't get involved much. In the time he is on the field 'Riff outscore Manly. Obviously he's not totally responsible, but what value are we getting from this big bloke?
I thought having him as an impact bench player would be great, but I think Des is frightened to use him, and only puts him on when the match is wrapped up.
I'm very disappointed with this bloke. Up until now I was 50/50 on him, but he has been tried in the backs and now in the forwards and not lived up to expectations imo.

Good stuff CF2 - should me on the main page as a news item/silvertails matach report

T-Rex makes 1 run and then goes out in the backs 9watch him) at Cronulla, many fans were yelling at him to get closer, just seems lost, tragic

The Good:
Brent Kite's form over the last two weeks has been a massive improvement on the dross he has been serving up previously

Sheikheagle said:
I will be very suprised if TREX is resigned at the end of this season

I think you are right, im pretty sure its the reason Des is so confident of signing Hoppa. T-Rexs wage to Hoppa. :)

Very well put together Cf2.

Well surmised.

I agree with the refereeing, Robinson needs to keep it in his pocket. The constant whistle blowing slowed the game and way too much stop and start

Daniel : I reckon this thread should be elevated to the "Important Threads" section. Its a great read and others seem to think so too.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4