The good, the bad and the ugly report - rd 8

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

cf2 is back

Reserve Grader
The Good:
As passionate Manly fans we have to face the fact (as much as I hate it) that we just can't win every week and there will be games when we are a bit below par. It's just life and it's going to happen to every team. The real test is how we react to it. Tonight we played a really committed, focused, disciplined and determined Cowboys team. In fact they looked a lot like us. They out played us from the 10th minute to about the 60th and at that point the match had a final score of 38-4 written all over it. That's when the good kicked in. We again showed that we NEVER give up. Despite a lop sided scoreline we all but put ourselves in a position to again steal a win. It didn't come off but we sure fought hard and it will make a big difference to our next week at training and the matches ahead this season. Despite a relatively poor night we showed we are right in there in 2011 and in context losing to a brilliant Thurston/Bowen inspired Cowboys team up there is not so bad. No disrespect to young DCE but if the halfbacks were swapped we would have won by 40! Recovering with a strong win over Canberra will be a further test to wipe this one away. In terms of individual performances Hoppa was again very good despite a few inexperienced errors he will learn from (the in goal try concede was avoidable by a safer decision to ground it). Oldfield's bombed try in the first half was very costly but the rest of his game was good and his turn of pace in the much talked about no try proved how badly we need speed in our team. Brett's freakish speed (not to mention try scoring ability) is still badly missed. Choc was also again very solid and seems to have curbed the dumb stuff and Buhrer worked very hard off the bench. The injury to Foran was very costly to us given he's been arguably our most valuable player in 2011 and I'm glad he was (finally) taken off. i thought Ballin had a much better game in attack with some good darting runs from dummy half. DCE is obviously getting a lot of Manly fans heated up. For mine he's a good kid who's still only played 8 games of NRL and he's shown a lot of skills with his deep kicking being a much needed and previously sorely missed big asset. (Do we need reminding about Orford's 35 metre clearance kicks?) DCE's attack still needs some confidence but it will come. Some of the posts that DCE should be dropped are plain ridiculous, seriously Mitchell Pearce wasn't half the player DCE is in his first 8 games. If you want to point fingers at the loss go to "the bad" below re our front row.

The Bad:
Our somewhat odd 15-20 minute period in the first half (Jamie Lyon actually called it 10 mins) ultimately cost us the game. We had a very strong chance to fightback to 16-10 at HT but bombed some major chances with some poor decisions, none more frustrating than Glenn Stewarts bizarre decision to kick early in the tackle count when we were pouring it on 15 metres out from their line. If we go in at 16-10 we win the game. But 16-4 was a game killer despite the late fight. In the forward dept our front row seemed to lack sting tonight. Was it them not putting in or was it simply being out bashed by the brutal Cows pack? Forwards do win matches and the Cows sure did put on some brutal hits even Matai having the ball jolted from him. Kite is not scaring anyone, we all know it, simple as that. Perhaps a 30 min bench role would be better. King seemed out of sorts (and later in the game obv injured) and Joe seemed to be way less effective. Glenn continues to be a back rower stuck at right centre obsessed with too much sideways running which I find very frustrating. Is Glenn the same player he once was? I don't think so but he has improved and I'm sure will be even better when Brett returns. George remains a problem for mine, he did make 100 metres but I'm not sure he's a genuine 1st grader week in and week out. I'd really like to see Tim Robinson selected he really impressed against the Roosters and Rabbits. DCE's goal kicking? Yes I know he only missed two from the sideline but you don't really get the feeling he's going to kick them and at the end of the day we lost by 2. Ouch. When the top kickers like Thurston kick from the sideline, and I'd put Jamie Lyon in that category, you expect it's going to go over. Why isn't Jamie our kicker Des? Unless it's an injury reason surely he should be our kicker whether he likes it or not! Overall the bad was really some ill discipline in the first half, some unusually sloppy defence, plus some poor decisions and errors, such as the Glenn 3rd tackle kick and the two dreadful kick off penalties.

The Ugly:
The George shove on DCE was just plain ugly. Golden rule 101, never do that to a team mate George, ever. I can only hope they had a hug in the rooms cos you sure don't want something like that to linger. If it was just a heat in the moment thing and they are mates all good, but if I'm Des I'd still give George a strong reminder that's not to be seen ever again. Ok the two big decisions. For mine the Hoppa 8 pointer was an accident. If it was a Manly player making that sliding tackle we'd all be livid if an 8 pointer was awarded. The Jamie knock on? Well probably it wasn't a knock on if technically the ball went backwards, but let's be honest it didn't look too good given Jamie's fumbled the ball facing the opposition. Again if the Cows had done it and then scored we'd all be crying foul for a knock on. Unfortunately whether the decision goes our way or not it puts an ugly spin on the game and now gives reason for many Manly fans to feel ripped off. But let's have a good hard look at the summary of the game. Thurston and Bowen were brilliant and we didn't really deserve the win, but the way we fought showed that the damage is minimal and if we keep fighting like that we're in for a very big 2011. The bigger concern, and let's hope this is not ugly, is praying Foran's injury is not serious.

The knees to Hoppas head may not have been intentional, but it was careless at best, or more likely reckless, so it deserved a penalty.

The knock on call against Jamie I could live with if it was one of the field refs calling it on the run. But when some idiot gets to look at it, I don't know, maybe a dozen times in slow mo, and it is plain as day that the ball goes backwards, how do you excuse that ?

Can't argue with much of your Good and Bad though.

The Good : The comeback
The Bad : Oldfield not taking a tackle when it was obvious video ref was going to say no,on the fact that we are manly,Oldfield butchering the **** out of an early try,Kite and Rose assume they have better ball skills than our halves
The Ugly : The pricks in pink not knowing how to run a game but still recieving the payment for the match,how anyone can pay those 2 morons is far beyond me,they should be fired immediately without pay

The Good - Our fight. The boys never gave up on themselves, even when many others (including supporters) did.

The Bad - The officialdom. If it wasn't so ****ing laughable, I'd breakdown in tears. And they allow gambling in this sport? If you want to take people's money. Get the basics RIGHT!

The Ugly - George Rose for mine. You don't do that ****. Not even in park football. I'm disappointed in him. Hope he misses next week for that. At our club, disunity should be stamped out. We need to play for each other, in the good times, and the bad. And especially when it's backs to the wall, which it was at times tonight! ESPECIALLY then!

I'm with Chip and Chase.
The "accidental" knees to Hoppa is similar to many other incidents.
Not intentional, but reckless and/or careless - I reckon he'll have a case to answer from the match review commitee which will make a mockery of the decision. ( Seem to remember Killer conceding an eight point try last year v the chooks with something way less careless).
Re Jamie's knock on, at first look at real speed it looked for all money a knock on and if it was called on the field, no dramas - I was hoping Oldfield would get tackled. But once it's gone to video ref I thought our luck had turned, let's see them explain that one.
It's funny how all the nitpicking - "rules are rules"- that don't directly affect a scoring outcome are strictly policed - ie offside at dropouts, kick offs etc but when anything goes upstairs it's a lottery.
Despite our:argue: efforts to lose the game we at least deserved a draw but were jipped. We can only hope it all evens out when we really need it.

Well CF2 you have done it again, summed up the match perfectly. Talk of getting rid of DCE is stupidity of epic proportions. We are building for the FUTURE, not for a quick fix this season. DCE will get better with experience and when he does finally click it will be funny when everyone starts rave about him, his 40/20 tonight after a few missed attempts last week shows he is determined and learning. I think people forget one of our best players is on the sideline aswell, can't wait to see Snake back next week :)

Kite and Gift had shocking games, they both need to stop acting like halfbacks and start running the bloody ball straight and hard, this will give DCE and Foran more room to learn their craft and to get a combination going.

I don't even want to talk about the so called "refereeing"....

My thoughts - We were far from good tonight, we have a ton of improvement in us, and the cowboys were near as good as they can be.

They only just won, and wouldn't have if the refs had got even one of the two big calls right.

When we get up to top speed at the end of the season we will walk over these chums.

On a side note : I am sick of rules only being noted in the run up to a try, the number of sheparding plays the cows ran last night was huge, but unless such a play is in the two seconds before a try nobody says a thing. Even when Bowan was protected in the lead up to his try, nothing was done. You can bet if it was us it would have been called.

Also the commentary team on fox - first spend a few minutes saying how it is a try for all money, then when its given no try justify it away as fair. They make me sick with their thinly veiled anti-manly crap.

fatboy1994 said:
I:f you look closely when Jamie lyon knocks the ball back Anthony Watmough waves his hand asking is that six more and the ref thats in the piture says its six to go ( you can see him nodding like mad ):mad:
yes

http://forums.silvertails.net/Thread-That-NO-Try-on-youtube

torana355 said:
Well CF2 you have done it again, summed up the match perfectly.

Wasn't able to see the game, hope to check the replay in a day or 2, but meanwhile thanks to all the reports and points of view published here I feel like I have a pretty good idea how it went. So thanks :exclamation:

Good: fightback, jamie, hoppa, lots of grit, DCE 40/20, Oldfields speed
Bad: Our pack finally getting shown up:
Scary; Injury to 1 or 2 props: Our bench was ordinary last night (T-Rex excluded) We will need much more impetus from the bench to win in 2011. Sims summed up a winning benchplayer. Doubt you would have noticed Mauro and Rose on. Buhrer looks great when we are moving forward, little impact when we are getting monstered.
Scary positive: Hoppa, Brett and Pldfield in 2011 pure speed will be dynamite.

Not sure: Why do we kick to Robbo and Matai's wing? Robbo never seems to get near it.

Darren said:
Good: fightback, jamie, hoppa, lots of grit, DCE 40/20, Oldfields speed
Bad: Our pack finally getting shown up:
Scary; Injury to 1 or 2 props: Our bench was ordinary last night (T-Rex excluded) We will need much more impetus from the bench to win in 2011. Sims summed up a winning benchplayer. Doubt you would have noticed Mauro and Rose on. Buhrer looks great when we are moving forward, little impact when we are getting monstered.
Scary positive: Hoppa, Brett and Pldfield in 2011 pure speed will be dynamite.

Not sure: Why do we kick to Robbo and Matai's wing? Robbo never seems to get near it.

Eh? Robbo is one of the better high ball exponents mate in the whole competition?? Maybe that's just me though. Ok, he lacks a "little" speed for a winger, but his other attributes like skill, ball handling etc more than make up for that.

Tell me if I'm telling you to suck eggs here mate, but were you just pissed off when you wrote that?

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
Accurate on all fronts Cf2.
I loved the way we stuck in there, this is a very positive sign for mine.
Playing the cows up there this early in the season, with Thurston in the form he's in, was always going to be tough.
Out of all the clown refs, Hayne is the one I prefer. Couple of dubious moments though last night. Lyon didn't knock that ball on. Fact.
Result changing error and the ugliest moment of the night.

I have been watching the kicks to the left this year and we haven't lately got much out of it. Robbo wasn't anywhere near most of them last night. Maybe getting a tad on? The thing is he has lost that dynamic off the mark speed and that makes it harder for him. Safe as houses and never makes a mistake but so did Brendan Reeves!! Oldfields run can destroy oppositions.

Not only did the video clown screw up the lyon knock on but how did the Cowgirls get the scrum feed when they clearly knocked the ball forward out of Gifts hands in the first place. He not only screwed it up once but twice what an incompetent fool.I'm sure Harrigan will gloss over it all with his usual anti Manly rhetoric.

mickqld said:
Not only did the video clown screw up the lyon knock on but how did the Cowgirls get the scrum feed when they clearly knocked the ball forward out of Gifts hands in the first place. He not only screwed it up once but twice what an incompetent fool.I'm sure Harrigan will gloss over it all with his usual anti Manly rhetoric.
That Rex hunt harrigan can justify anything. He's a filthy blue vien smoker

mickqld said:
Totally agree, in normal speed it looked like a Cows knock on, then jamie knocked on. However when the video ref got to look at it in slow mo, Jamie's defiantely went back - it rolled backwards over the 40m line, clear as day. I actually thought Gift was lucky for not losing it forward into the Cows player, therefore a double knock on where that took place.

Cambo said:
mickqld said:
That Rex hunt harrigan can justify anything. He's a filthy blue vien smoker

ROFLMAO. Where's Bob's cement truck.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7