The good, the bad and the ugly report - rd 9

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

cf2 is back

Reserve Grader
The Good:
Not the most exciting game of footy with the monsoonal weather and an opposition who would have struggled to beat a NSW Cup team, but nonetheless a couple of major highlights from the soggy night. Firstly our defence was once again absolutely superb for the entire 80 minutes, particularly given we had very little ball or territory in the first 15. The impenetrable wall shown tonight has become the standout feature of 2011 and here's betting Dessie was more pleased with the 0 than the 20. Obviously to put it in perspective Canberra without Shillington, Learoyd-Lahrs, Dugan and of course Campese are easily the worst team in the comp as proven by the table. We knew it, they knew it, and the by the time we scored for 16-0 in the second half the match became no more than a Manly training run. But we did the job and put them away clinically. The bitter sweet highlight of the night was of course Brett. He brought the small crowd to it's feet with his first try, caused an encore standing ovation for his second and wonderful 100th career try, and threw us all into raptures with his hat trick, but for mine I would have swapped all 3 tries to avoid the deeply worrying and sorry sight of a frail looking Brett barely able to break out of 2nd gear on the right wing. The hammie is obviously far from ok, but if there's any good news it's surely that Dessie would have hauled him off fast if there was a chance of doing more damage. We can only pray that with further careful treatment it's a soon to be fixed situation rather than any of those annoying rumours of a far more serious problem. One thing for sure is that if Brett can score 3 tries on one leg we are all in for a wonderful treat when he's 100% fit at fullback. In terms of individual performances tonight there was not a bad one in there, but running through the team Robbo was rock solid as usual, Lyon was a constant menace in attack and probed some mouth watering holes through their left defence, Matai too was dangerous at times, Hoppa proved why there is no possible alternative other than signing him no matter what it takes (Kite and one other such as Wolfman let go being the obvious solution), Foran was again wonderful in every aspect of his rapidly exploding career, DCE was exceptionally good tonight with a masterful kicking game and a more positively creative display in attack (with just the lone letdown being when he made that wonderful 1st half break only to inexplicably fail to put an unmarked Brett under the posts). In the forwards Glen was tremendous and showed the benefit of his Country captains knock, Choc was a total workhorse with 42 bone jarring tackles, Buhrer was again exciting to watch, George belted it up with gusto, and off the bench Joe and Tim Robinson were also solid workers. I'd like to see more of Robinson he's a good thing.

The Bad:
Not much to discuss here other than Brett's worrying hammie as mentioned above. One slight head shaker was Des's slightly peculiar decision to hold back Mauro until the last 7 minutes, but perhaps it was simply to ensure the other guys got the necessary game time. I've got nothing against Mauro but I just can't see for the life of me how he get's a bench spot ahead of other's including redhead Harrison. With King, Kite, George, Joe and Robinson at our disposal we don't need another bench prop who in all honesty is a poor man's Mark Bryant at best. For mine our best bench with all fit is: 14. Robinson; 15. Buhrer; 16. Rose; 17. T Rex or Harrison. (18. Rodney; 19. Mauro). But I digress from the bad - having that depth is all good!

The Ugly:
Obviously nobody can do anything about weather that bad resulting in a 6,000 crowd but god I hate Monday night football. There's just nothing good about it no matter what the weather. Nil atmosphere, nil excitement, and a bitch to get to in time for the 7pm kick off. How awesome would have it been to see us play yesterday afto in the balmy mothers day sun in front of 15,000? If I was the NRL Commissioner the first thing I'd do is change the absolutely ugly NRL schedule. Games 1 & 2: Fri 7.30pm (Ch 9 live with viewers choice); Game 3: Sat 3pm (Fox live); Game 4: Sat 5.30pm (Fox live); Game 5: Sat 7.30pm (Fox live); Games 6 & 7: Sun 2pm (Fox live with viewers choice); Game 8: Sun 4pm (Ch 9 live). Instead of the ridiculous 6 night and 2 day games there'd be 4 night and 4 day games and no MNF. I'm betting the tv ratings would be no worse and the fans WAY happier.

Great as usual.

The good: Great defense (the only side to keep Canberra to nil this year) Seeing Snake score a hatrick. Watching DCE and Foran improve each week. Sure DCE didn't pass to snake on the inside but Snake has not played many games with DCE yet and they will build a combination over the next few years. I can see DCE's chip over the top to Snake working very soon :) Foran is getting better at an amazing rate!!!

The Bad: Snake not at 100% was a worry (I pray he is good for next week) T-Rex always passing the ball rather then using his size!!

The Ugly: The weather stopped us from putting a cricket score on them.

Excellent report.
Miserable conditions last night.
I was amazed at the minimal dropped ball.
Ignore Watmough's traditional dropped pills. I expect them now.
Why can that not be fixed? I know the answer = the problem is in his brain dept.
Brett legend. So glad I was there to see him score the 100 and go on to a wonderful hat trick.

In fairness WAMF he only dropped two passes. When you consider Brett's kick off knock on and a couple of others on both sides, the handling on the whole was remarkably good given for our part we didn't hold back throwing it around. Robbo's finger tip control to snatch that perfect kick and score was superb.

The Good: Manly
The Bad: Raiders and Weather
The Ugly: Laurie Daley

Nice report although difficult to read with the long paragraphs.

Manly did well to hold Canberra to zero but I expect a better team might have scored. Canberra offered nothing in attack and it showed why they are coming last in the competition. Manly did just enough in defense to unsettle Canberra's game. Great effort to tough it out for the full 80 minutes and not relax near the end of the game.

It was nice to see Manly attacking out wide in the difficult conditions. They look very confident and are playing well as a team.

It was great to see Brett playing again and scoring tries. Anyone know why he switched with Robbo in the first half (and not with Hoppa)? I thought that was a strange move. Hoppa is much more comfortable at the back than Robbo. Canberra only really tested Robbo at fullback late in the first half when they put that one bomb up which very nearly ended in a try.

Manly will need to improve their discipline if they are to trouble the Dragons and Broncos. They gave up too many penalties holding the tackled players down for too long. This is was also a problem last year and will need to be fixed.

I was hoping Trex would have done more. He had a few hard runs out wide but I wanted to see more. He needs to get more involved and not look to offload the ball on every occasion. I would like to see him put his head down and run the ball back at 100 miles an hour like Idris and Thaiday. It's positive to see though that he is improving every game.

Watching the game on Foxsports last night there wasw a bit of humour.

Just after Brett scored his 3rd try one of the trainers went over to him to tell him he needs to come off. Bretts response was "bugger off I have just scored 3 tries, Im staying on".

I really think Snake might be in and out for a while yet, he didn't look like he was walking to freely after the game and might not get up for next weeks game.
But as we have seen over the past 5 weeks, Des can cover it.
A good solid win with the team showing lots of passion and I loved seeing how happy the lads looked.

P.s Highlight of the night for me was Foran giving it to White at the scrum after White hit him late, The big cat.

I'll take a slightly different view here. The Canberra attack was pedestrian, but I thought they defended ferociously with some heavy contact. They didn't throw in the towel, they just kept on hitting us as hard as they could.

The difference between them this year to last year is their attack, which is as a direct result of their forwards not doing the hard yards. It reminds me of Manly at the beginning of 2009. Last year we would have scored 20, but they may have scored 24-30. I do give significant credit to our defence, but as stated in another post, I think other sides would have scored against us.

I think Melbourne will get it easy next week. We smashed them in defence as well and they now know their season is over so they won't offer much.

All in all I was extremely pleased with the performance and the score.

White is an abosolute dog he hit Robbo pretty late as well. He is rarely sighted when an opposing forward is hitting it up. He is one of the worst frontrowers to play for NSW.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
  • lsz
    First Grader
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8