The great Bobby Fulton

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Shoe1

Journey Man
A while back someone on silvertails wanted to know just how good Bozo was. I came across this today on rleague.com

Watch Bozo at 5/8 go close to almost winning this test against the poms on his own in 1972. He can't quite do it but his three tries and one try assist show his range of skills, strength and explosive pace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR3Ckh3jeLo

The pommy number 11 Phil Lowe came to Manly a couple of years later.

The film changes from b/w to colour after a minute or 2.

Thankfully the game has improved especially in defence.
Commentary and camera shots have improved as well - bias in commentary has not, nor hve Referees' rule changes 'on the go'.

Brings back memories - No. 8 as Lock, the 4-tackle rule.

What about the Aussies first try. Knock on on the 3rd tackle and the push by Fulton to get the ball and score. Blatant shepherd for the Poms 2nd try(I think it was) and the swinging arm penalty.
Great flashback to when it was a different game.

eagleE said:
What about the Aussies first try. Knock on on the 3rd tackle and the push by Fulton to get the ball and score. Blatant shepherd for the Poms 2nd try(I think it was) and the swinging arm penalty.

Has any Manly player since or before Fulton equalled or bettered his amazing acceleration?

Good question. You know the old saying about how you can't compare different eras. For acceleration I agree Snake is comparable, also Johnny Gibbs and Phil Blake. But what always struck me about Fulton (and I followed most of his career fairly closely) was how far ahead of his contemporaries he was, as a player, in many areas. That's what entitles him to his status in the game, namely all-time great.

There have been comments made (I think it was Arko & also Zorba) drawing some comparisons between Fulton and Foran. There are some similarities. What has most impressed me about Foran so far is his determination and will to win. That is a pretty special quality and certainly one that Bozo had in bucketloads.

Yeah kieran has the skills and determination, and the ability to crop up at the right time. Bozo's pace and ability to go for long range tries is the key difference I think. I can imagine kieran doing the chip and regather in traffic to set up tommy raudonikis from that footage.

My main recollection of bozo however is how grumpy he looked. It's kinda hilarious in those highlights how there's no smiling after scoring those amazing tries, and check him pacing the halfway line prior to kickoff, he's in a zone.

arty said:
eagleE said:

Has any Manly player since or before Fulton equalled or bettered his amazing acceleration?
Some great footage there - no doubt Bozo was a legit freak player.
As for acceleration I think Phil Blake would have also gone close.

Fulton at his peak was Mount Everest . Speed , Skill, Strenght, simply Sensational !!!

Compare bozo's push in the back to get the ball to score his first try, with Brett Stewart's in the disallowed try v Leeds ;0) the video ref is kidding, Brett and the Leeds guy were not even near the ball! And the Leeds guy jumped in to Brett anyway.

Fulton hated getting beaten. Well that's how it appeared to me. It was far more than a will to win.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7