The Idiot's Guide to Salary Cap Rorting

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
1. Purchase player from a rival club by offering huge contract that can't be matched, by illegally guaranteeing TPA's.
2. Give player a long-term deal, despite knowledge of injury issues.
3. Work out scheme with player, to become 'injured' in pre-season, with player to retire and to receive the remaining amount owing on his long-term contract.
4. File false claim with insurers, ensure contract comes off the cap.
5. Work out deal, hire ex-auditor, become 'cap compliant'.

The more I think about this, the more it really makes my blood boil. They are getting away with murder.

1. Purchase player from a rival club by offering huge contract that can't be matched, by illegally guaranteeing TPA's.
3. Work out scheme with player, to become 'injured' in pre-season, with player to retire and to receive the remaining amount owing on his long-term contract.

The more I think about this, the more it really makes my blood boil. They are getting away with murder.

Crush old mate, you left out the most important ingredient.

An accommodating and complicit NRL CEO.

....and the icing on the cake is to back end the deal just enough to not raise concerns , eg: 300k for first 2 years and 450k for years 3 and 4. player is forced to 'retire' after 2 years and only 600k out of 1.5m goes on cap.

Our old mate @MYBOB will agree to disagree no doubt but yep, I reckon you've nailed it!!

I think the most amazing thing to me is how the Eels fans have seen this penalty as harsh? It started out as a fairly reasonable punishment but erring on the softer side of fair, but it seems to be getting weaker by the day.

The other thing I resent is how some people on talkback are saying how the Eels have suddenly become everyone's 2nd favourite team as they look to right this injustice????? What the....? They systematically cheat the cap for years and now we are supposed to cheer for them?

I think the most amazing thing to me is how the Eels fans have seen this penalty as harsh? It started out as a fairly reasonable punishment but erring on the softer side of fair, but it seems to be getting weaker by the day.

The other thing I resent is how some people on talkback are saying how the Eels have suddenly become everyone's 2nd favourite team as they look to right this injustice????? What the....? They systematically cheat the cap for years and now we are supposed to cheer for them?
I'll cheer......for every other team they play this year and for years to come. They are back where they belong. Right at the top of my sht list.

I think it's really sad time for the game, @Technical Coach may get his wish and have a free for all , and say hello then to 20 Donkey premierships in a row and no more than about 2 clubs in Sydney, neither of which will be Manly.

Queensland will become the epicentre for the game with GF's all played at Suncorp.

Gee I can't wait !!

I never thought I would see the day but.......

Go Souffs this week. I hope the Vermin win by a cricket score.

I need to go wash my hands. They feel dirty after typing that :sick:

Agreed. Even if the nrl came out and said parra weren't playing for points this weekend (yeah right...gotta have guts!) It'd still be hard to cheer for them.

Is Watmough a contributing editor?

I never thought I would see the day but.......

Go Souffs this week. I hope the Vermin win by a cricket score.

I need to go wash my hands. They feel dirty after typing that :sick:
I despise Souths, always have. I rate them lower than the qld origin team, I have never cheered for them. This weekend I'm with you. I hope they put 100 on the eels. I'm sick of teams getting done for cheating (storm) and then playing the victim.

I despise Souths, always have. I rate them lower than the qld origin team, I have never cheered for them. This weekend I'm with you. I hope they put 100 on the eels. I'm sick of teams getting done for cheating (storm) and then playing the victim.
In a nutshell , " playing the victim " , there's no, well we did the crime now we pay the time", it's all sooky sooky everyone should feel sorry for us.

Well here's the thing, we don't ! Not one single iota , in fact the reverse we are ****ing pissed at how easy Toggy Greenslime has let you off.

It's time again for some burning's at the stake.

Last edited:
The Eels would have been free and clear had done one simple thing. Put nothing in writing. Both the Eels and Storm have been caught solely because they were stupid enough to put in writing the extent of their cheating.

The NRL Salary Cap is a joke. It's so easy to cheat. Particularly for a club with private ownership. Let's say Penn decided to cheat the cap. All he would have to do is speak with his mates in business and tell them to put in writing a TPS for a player. His mate uses said TPA as a deduction for his business and Penn pays the bloke on the side out of his back pocket. Don't put anything in writing and don't tell the players what's going on. Cap successfully rorted.

Half glass full for me and a game of footy made in heaven
I hate souffs and think we should never let the vermin back in the comp.they are a disease like their supporters

I hate parra and hope this latest dumb ass scam pre occupies their thought for decades and showcases them as losers just like the G .Hartley 7 tackle excuse they use to justify their uselessness

This week I hope parra smash souffs ,smash GI ,Sam and his mum and after that realise it was all for no fucn points and they are fucn last again
Hahahahahahaha

Parra Prix Prix Prix - get that up ya - you have not a leg to stand on
Oops I forgot,that was your last emblem you tools

Wondering if this is my first rant

I think it's really sad time for the game, @Technical Coach may get his wish and have a free for all , and say hello then to 20 Donkey premierships in a row and no more than about 2 clubs in Sydney, neither of which will be Manly.

Queensland will become the epicentre for the game with GF's all played at Suncorp.

Gee I can't wait !!
You had Melb,Manly and Roosters dominating the last decade up to 2013 with a Salary Cap,Hawthorn and Geelong in the AFL, salary caps are over-rated, it does help to a certain degree equalizing the rest of the comp but not as much as people think.

As teams become more professional and analyze performance from a better perspective(more understanding what makes a difference not just pay squillions on one player to take advantage of semi professional dated coaching structures) you will see new teams come to the fore.

In the past with semi professional or poorly coached teams/structures talented players could more easily look good and influence outcomes, now it is a more team structured coached performance that matters.(even more so in a simple more or less one direction game)

What is more important is a big talent pool to draw upon so all teams can grab quality players and let the coaching and team structures elevate teams to the top---investing big time in junior development not some weak ass catch cry feel good line for the papers and not delivering.

A small talent pool just means the top teams will have the available talent and the rest have such a big drop off compared to the top teams they look semi professional.

Yes in the short to medium term teams will go broke if they are overly reliant on paying overs to a lack of thought based purchases on over-rated talent.

We need to develop the game in growth areas to increase the talent pool so there is a big enough player base for all teams to have talent.

The past has shown the teams with money win the premierships in most comps around the world but i think it's weighted value has reached a peak now and you will see more teams around the world rise from the perspective of taking different approaches or buying the right kind of talent to suit a team structure or philosophy.

Last edited:
You had Melb,Manly and Roosters dominating the last decade up to 2013 with a Salary Cap,Hawthorn and Geelong in the AFL, salary caps are over-rated, it does help to a certain degree equalizing the rest of the comp but not as much as people think.

As teams become more professional and analyze performance from a better perspective(more understanding what makes a difference not just pay squillions on one player to take advantage of semi professional dated coaching structures) you will see new teams come to the fore.

In the past with semi professional or poorly coached teams/structures talented players could more easily look good and influence outcomes, now it is a more team structured coached performance that matters.(even more so in a simple more or less one direction game)

What is more important is a big talent pool to draw upon so all teams can grab quality players and let the coaching and team structures elevate teams to the top---investing big time in junior development not some weak ass catch cry feel good line for the papers and not delivering.

A small talent pool just means the top teams will have the available talent and the rest have such a big drop off compared to the top teams they look semi professional.

Yes in the short to medium term teams will go broke if they are overly reliant on paying overs to a lack of thought based purchases on over-rated talent.

We need to develop the game in growth areas to increase the talent pool so there is a big enough player base for all teams to have talent.

The past has shown the teams with money win the premierships in most comps around the world but i think it's weighted value has reached a peak now and you will see more teams around the world rise from the perspective of taking different approaches or buying the right kind of talent to suit a team structure or philosophy.

So teams with a massive junior pool of talent will rise to the top , ie Panthers / Parramatta / Broncos / Auckland and teams such as Roosters will struggle?

As could we as Penn & Co have hardly lashed out in that area, for example our 20's are at the bottom ( or near as).

So teams with a massive junior pool of talent will rise to the top , ie Panthers / Parramatta / Broncos / Auckland and teams such as Roosters will struggle?

As could we as Penn & Co have hardly lashed out in that area, for example our 20's are at the bottom ( or near as).
The talent pool is the talent pool, no team owns their location of players.

I'm talking about growing the game in all areas, if Parra has for example a million players in their juniors doesn't mean they solely benefit.

Melb were successful due to better structures/coaching, and developing talent from other locations.

Conversely Parra have had a large pool of players to draw upon and did bugger all with it.

It's the money that is invested in the coaching department,fitness department, injury management department, quality scouting/research in the type of players that give the best results and developing/retaining juniors that are well versed in the playing structures and philosophy of the 1st grade team that make more a difference than the size of the pool of players in your location.(The size of the pool gives "all" teams the "potential" to compete)

Last edited:
I still think the NRL sadly leave the country areas without much support.

My 5/7 year old grandsons play junior footy in Moree, they don't get one cent of assistance.

Bush footy is a joke these days, maybe not so in the bigger cities like Dubbo / Tamworth ( as an example) but go to country towns of 10,000 and less and compared to what it was like in the 60's -90's it's a shadow of its former self.

The CRL arrange for a few players to come out in the lead up to season kick off , but that's it.

I'm shocked to see that in my old home town soccer & AFL is now more popular with kids, FFS what's the world coming to!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7