The inside story on how the underworld seduces NRL players

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

weev

Bencher
The inside story on how the underworld seduces NRL players
June 5, 2016 5:00am
MICHAEL CARAYANNIS and REBECCA WILSON
519f4786351d94bb17b4bdd7a92dd502

FREE sex, free drugs and free betting — that’s how police say NRL stars are being lured into the murky criminal underworld.

In the wake of this week’s revelations about investigations into NRL match-fixing, The Sunday Telegraph can reveal the infiltration techniques police believe are used by some organised criminals to entrap players from across the league and then blackmail them into rigging matches.

Detective Inspector Wayne Walpole, in charge of stopping organised crime from infiltrating sport, said these techniques were well known to police.

“The ‘honey-pot’ (situation) is where a player is set up with Miss World,” Insp Walpole said.

“All of a sudden there is a heap of photos, video and the player might be a married person. All of a sudden they are compromised (and criminals will threaten) that they will show photos to wives, girlfriends.”

In exchange for keeping these pictures away from the public, the player will be made to help fix matches.

“The same principle applies with the other “freebies”.

“It’s not just with the ‘honey-pot’,” Insp Walpole said.

“It could be a drug issue where someone has supplied them a recreational drug for a night and (the player) takes their gamble with the drug-testing laws and. of course. the person who supplied that drug has the player compromised. Compromise can happen in any numerous ways.

“He may not even realise they are doing it. Obviously they don’t at first — then it becomes too late.”

It is far removed from days of the past where criminal figures would rip one-off payments from players.

Now they are using the leverage to win big on gambling on matches, generally online on overseas websites.

Infiltration is not restricted to drugs and sex. Even hospital visits to sick children can be used.

“The bikies are great at it,” Insp Walpole said.

“They’ll have charity runs where some of them will sell as much gear as they can but they will have a cheque for a thousand dollars ready to give to the kids’ hospital.

“They will invite sportsmen along to throw a ball to the kids but it’s all about slowly forming that relationship.

“Sport and gambling is a billion-dollar industry.

“Couple them together, don’t think organised crime is going to sit on the sidelines and just watch and clap.

“(We had) photographic information that high-ranking members of the Comancheros had supplied brand new iPhones to a jockey and a trainer they didn’t know.”

“Because you have exotic sports betting now, (they say) ‘we don’t want money from you but you need to do this in a particular game’.”

One NRL club has blamed the signing of a high-profile league identity to their training group for not only bringing a wealth of knowledge but also links to people connected with the criminal underworld.

Some players are believed to have quickly developed the same links.

High-stakes gambling is not a new thing for the NRL, with many players legendary for their love of the punt.

One player was spotted recently losing $14,000 on greyhound races, punting at a pub, while a retired NRL player witnessed another player laying bets of $10,000 and $15,000 at a time on various race meetings.

But it is the links that players can develop from such big wagering that has authorities increasingly worried.

Free meals and accommodation are also part of plans to entice players into the criminal world.

“(Players) have to look at why people are forming these relationships,” Insp Walpole said. “When they don’t know them, why are they buying them a meal? Why are they buying them a drink? Is it a motel room?

“We know players who have been set up with prostitutes in the past and have been filmed. We know they have been given recreational drugs so they’ve been compromised.

“We know that and we talk to the governing bodies about that.”

The problem is widespread and not restricted to rugby league, despite Insp Walpole’s Organised Crime Squad investigating match-fixing in the NRL.

Horse racing has also had its problems.

“There was a jockey,” Insp Walpole said.

“(We had) photographic information that high-ranking members of the Comancheros had supplied brand new iPhones to a jockey and a trainer they didn’t know. He didn’t know them.

“I spoke to the jockey myself and said: ‘Why do you think they gave you an iPhone?’

“That was an attempt at infiltration without a doubt.

“Blind Freddy would recognise that.

“They were convicted criminals, and high-ranking members of an outlaw motorcycle gang, through a third party, were able to meet a couple of jockeys and a trainer and able to supply a number of brand-new phones for no apparent reason.

“That’s just the slow process of infiltration.”

It has to be true. The setup with a prostitute was a storyline on Nashville!

In all seriousness, I know it's fiction (derr) but it was exactly as described above - a few drinks, a beautiful woman, pictures, threats to show (in this case) constituents. Boom.

You're not seriously suggesting this only happens in trite American crime shows Who?

Or that if it can't be proven then it hasn't happened? Or doesn't matter?

Or that many young (and likely drunk) footballers aren't easy prey? Or that there isn't the motivation and know-how to make these schemes work?

You're not seriously suggesting this only happens in trite American crime shows Who?

Or that many young (and likely drunk) footballers aren't easy prey? Or that there isn't the motivation and know-how to make these schemes work?

Yep that is the problem atm.This ridiculous and short sighted notion with gambling and rec drugs that if it cant be proved it didn''t happen.I work as a fund manager in the securities industry and insider trading has been rife at all levels from the small punter to institutional level for my 28 years in the industry yet we have had a handful of convictions.Incredibly difficult to prove but happens each and every day.

Who knows what happened at our club.Id like to think our boys weren't compromised and the games in question definitely don't fit the usual betting profile of a rort but surely the club allowing these grubs around the dressing room and functions defies belief,especially given the high profile disintegration of Johns personal life that played out at Newcastle and his media career with Hayson front and centre.

Absolutely zero upside and I cant see how anyone can deny that part of the issue.The best way to mitigate risk is not to rely on a hampered court system but to have zero tolerance at club level and guess what,you might just get a great club culture as well.Not rocket science.

Last edited:
So well done to management from removing a past staff member from our coaching roster.
Like Hoppa, this bloke should be removed from associating with impressionable players.

Except I thought the club stood up strongly for Hoppa's right to coach?
Which makes me think, whatever his numerous failings, he's not really linked to shady characters.

The high profile member of coaching staff (ex our staff now with another Club) is getting a bad wrap. We will wait and see if this all gets exposed and the bad wrap is deserved.

I received information from an official (law enforcement) that what is in the papers in pretty close but as we know proving it may be very difficult to prove.

This is going to make an intriguing story when it comes out.

This article is written by Burbon Becky so I didn't and will not read it. I can however guess that it is full of innuendo and circumstance dressed up as absolute fact and as usual she will be wrong and will probably get sued again. These days I always check who the story is written by before I waste my time reading it.

No. I was just commenting on the lack of any facts in the story which read, to me, like the plot in a crime show. I'm sure we all believe that some sportspeople associate with criminals. However, where is the evidence that any player was paid to underperform? Where is the evidence that there was a plunge on Souffs and Doesn'tmatta in those two games? I must admit, though, that the way the team played in that second match was as disappointed as I've been with a Manly performance.

Miss World must get around a bit.....actually, she was originally known as Miss Underworld but changed her name to avoid suspicion.
I feel that Jen Hawkins should sue. I know she was a knights cheerleader, but those insinuations by the telegraph are pretty off.

No. I was just commenting on the lack of any facts in the story which read, to me, like the plot in a crime show. I'm sure we all believe that some sportspeople associate with criminals. However, where is the evidence that any player was paid to underperform? Where is the evidence that there was a plunge on Souffs and Doesn'tmatta in those two games? I must admit, though, that the way the team played in that second match was as disappointed as I've been with a Manly performance.
The article served a different purpose. As I saw it, the story was aimed at painting a picture, and never aimed, and never purported to list the facts - the court standard proof - you want. I found it clarifyingly written.

The picture painted showed how easily players can be drawn into situations like this without realising what was happening, until it was too late.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7