The meaning of the word Rabbitoh.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Blake

Reserve Grader
The name ‘the Rabbitohs’ stems from a group of men who skinned and sold rabbits around the back alleys of Sydney at the turn of last century.

I'm confused.  are they the bunnies, or guys who slaughter bunnies?

Blake link said:
The name ‘the Rabbitohs’ stems from a group of men who skinned and sold rabbits around the back alleys of Sydney at the turn of last century.

I'm confused.  are they the bunnies, or guys who slaughter bunnies?

Bingo! I've contemplated this myself from time to time. It's a bit too complex for the Souths fans to figure out. Also, guys who slaughter bunnies doesn't have quite the same appeal to the kiddies.

They are Rabbitohs, not bunnies. The rabbit on their emblem is running, as if being chased. Look at most other teams emblems. The creature in question is usually in attack mode.
The subtlety is wasted on Souths fans.

I also wonder how many Parra, Easts & Norths fans understand the meanings of their club nicknames. From talking to ones I know, I wouldn't think many.

Duff link said:
I also wonder how many Parra, Easts & Norths fans understand the meanings of their club nicknames. From talking to ones I know, I wouldn't think many.
I'm not so sure,
Parra fans think 'eels refers to their players feet cos they're ruly ruly fast.
Easts think they're players are cocks. Spot on.
Nth Sydney fans think that Bares refers to their trophy cabinet.

One version of how the club got the "Rabbitohs" nickname comes from the team's pre-schism days at the turn of the 20th century. During that period, players wearing their cardinal red and myrtle green football jumpers, earned some extra money on Saturday mornings by hawking rabbits around the district with the traditional cry of "Rabbitoh!" echoing through the narrow streets. As they made a sale, they would sling the bunny from their shoulder and skin it on the spot, inevitably accumulating some of the fur and blood on their jerseys as they did so. When they played in those blood stained jumpers that afternoon, opponents from wealthier rugby clubs did not always appreciate the aroma and would mockingly repeat the "Rabbitoh!" cry.[36]

or

The most oft repeated version of the origin of the ‘Rabbitohs' name has it that many of the players used to catch and sell rabbits, calling out ‘Rabbitoh!" as they walked the neighbourhood in search of income. Many claimed that players selling rabbits began during The Depression of the 1930s, but the club's stalwart administrator S.G. Ball maintained the practice began in the old Souths rugby union days well before 1908.

A less favoured version has the 'Rabbitoh' term as a derogatory reference to Souths home ground and surrounds being littered with "rabbit ‘oles" (holes). Whatever the origin of the name ‘rabbitohs' it is instantly recognisable, uniquely Australian, and synonymous with no other sporting club on the globe.

I've heard from a university source that the term rabbitohs refers to 'rabbit ****ers', or 'men who make love to rabbits', who used to inhabite the Redfern area prior to 1908.  Mothers, when seeing these men lurking in ally ways throughout the area, would call out 'Rabbitohs' to warn other mothers to take their girls and boys indoors and lock the doors to keep them from being used and abused by the 'Rabbit' ****ers.  The practice died out during the Great War, but was revised when the Catholic Church made inroads into the poverty stricken slum area.  One can notice the tail of the modern rabbit symbol is tightly tucked up in the anus area of the rabbit.  Old habits die slowly.       

I dont dislike the rabbits in any way. In fact they are bloody legendary as far as im concerned. They took on news ltd bulliies and bent them over. They stood alone in a fight that many others should have supported. Thus the massive support they had by fans from other clubs at the time

Long live georgie piggins

I never want them to beat Manly and dont support them but if any team other than Manly was to win it i would be happy with the rabbit rooting, skinng. smelly  bunch, holding the trophy.It would just be another massive **** you to NEWS and id love to see george out in the pubic eye, with his massive "strap on" giving it to NEWS again

Not having a go at the thread , some interesting, entertaing stuff. Just my 2 cents

James, your two cents isn't worth it.  Souths are a rubbish team.  Without the support of others such as our selves (never acknowledged by them, and obviously by you) they wouldn't be in the comp, and in my opinion shouldn't be.  They had to put up when the selection criteria for inclusion was on, they didn't make the cut because they couldn't make the criteria.  It was a s simple as that.  Other teams copped it sweet and merged.  Before that they were silent when Newtown went down the drain, stepping in and robbing them of their area.  Then the dimwitted members sold the realestate and license  for a song.  Ask Saint Piggins what he thinks of that.  Now they have the smelliest team in the league with the dirtiest halfback.  Why he is still on the paddock after his blatant headbutt last weekend is beyond me.  Souffs are a favoured team, and I hate them for that as well.       

2 cents is 2 cents no matter who counts it. If you want more bang for your buck that 100 cents at least but

Your opinion is noted.

Wasnt the selection criteria proven illegal in the courts. Is that how that got back in. Cant remember all the details.That selection criteria was drafted to get rid of the teams that NEWS wanted out.  Newtown went broke, souths were excluded, to me there is a difference. Cant remember manly helping newtown either

If its not Manly i dont like any of them but im more than happy knowing there is another club in the league apart from the eagles that ****s news ltd.For me persoanally it makes me smile and always will

I never mentioned the team only the club, agreed sandow is over rated and if he was hoppa senior he would get heaps of time. Not a sutton fan,, a whingeing merritt . Inglis is spawned from the devils arsehole but the team past and present  wasnt my point

You speak of souths the way i refer to the broncos. Hate them, hate there mothers, hate there cousins. They were the architects of all the gloom and i despise them, others dont. I get that

Parramatta got the name Eels because in the aboriginal language the place is where Eels lay. Also got the name from 'Chippy' Frilinglos.
North Sydney only became the Bears in 1959 prior to that they where known as the Shoreman.
Easts were originally known as the just the Tri colours and only changed there name to the Roosters after the French Rugby League team toured and blitzed the Kangaroos.
Broncos got there name because of Paul Morgan actually liked the Denver Broncos.

Ant80 link said:
Parramatta got the name Eels because in the aboriginal language the place is where Eels lay. Also got the name from 'Chippy' Frilinglos.
North Sydney only became the Bears in 1959 prior to that they where known as the Shoreman.
Easts were originally known as the just the Tri colours and only changed there name to the Roosters after the French Rugby League team toured and blitzed the Kangaroos.
Broncos got there name because of Paul Morgan actually liked the Denver Broncos.
And also because Queenslanders like to doggedly ape American names with their sporting teams and with their choice of rural headwear. Cowboys instead of Stockmen, Broncos instead of Brumbies (apparently that wasn't a marketable name - try telling a certain rugby team), Titans/Giants (whatever) instead of anything else and Stetsons instead of Akubras. Oh and where else in Australia would you find people with first names like Wendell? Where else but Queensland!

DSM5 link said:
I've heard from a university source that the term rabbitohs refers to 'rabbit f**kers', or 'men who make love to rabbits', who used to inhabite the Redfern area prior to 1908.  Mothers, when seeing these men lurking in ally ways throughout the area, would call out 'Rabbitohs' to warn other mothers to take their girls and boys indoors and lock the doors to keep them from being used and abused by the 'Rabbit' f**kers.  The practice died out during the Great War, but was revised when the Catholic Church made inroads into the poverty stricken slum area.  One can notice the tail of the modern rabbit symbol is tightly tucked up in the anus area of the rabbit.  Old habits die slowly.       

describes greg choice

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4