The mighty end up the most vulnerable.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

niccipops

un echidna spillo mia bevanda
Premium Member
Rugby league players could be said to be the ultimate alpha males. Most of them are big, awesome athletes and have bodies to match. They bring pleasure to the lives of their fans by giving us something to cheer about when our team wins.
Although more women are getting involved in various NRL and club positions, the majority of time the players are surrounded men, most of them young like themselves.
Young men + alcohol + young women = disaster for all. And now we are baying for the blood of individual scapegoats.
We hope that scandal attached to our own clubs aren't true, but we want to lynch others.
Any of us that are parents of kids, teenagers or young men/women can think of both points of view.
If our daughter or sister suffers any sort of sexual mistreatment most of us would want to chainsaw massacre the person/persons who caused it.
Alternatively no parent or sibling wants to see their son/brother crucified by the media like Matt Johns or Stewy.
No fan wants to believe bad things about their heroes.
Nobody is winning here.
It appears that something extremely immoral happened in NZ in '02. Matt Johns is wearing the noose.
Other people have obviously severely misbehaved as well. I certainly don't follow the Sharkies but why in this current media climate would any of those present in the '02 incident put their hand up and say, "I'm a monster, please publicly crucify me and drag me and my family through the mud."
I think the workshops being aimed at young players such as the one being run by Nigel. V (can't spell his name) is a great idea.
I believe the NRL should also run similar programs for the young women who come in contact with the players.
Something has to be done to help all of these young people involved.
That is my soapbox for today.

Good points nicci. There is absolutely no doubt that since 2005 and certainly more recently that programs have been put in place to do what you have suggested.

I thought the Footy Show handled it well last night - with the exception of Vossy who decided to take the moral mountain and make the rest of the mortals look tainted by his so-called standards. Strange to see Gus shed a tear but on whole it was a good effort by most.

I would do either paid or volunteer work on an NRL young women's education program.

I think the problem is that people are treating the players like rockstars. I'll give you an example up here in Brisbane, the Broncos use to go to a bar that was owned by a surporter. I have been there many times myself and had many girls approach me and asked if played with them.
SO maybe the NRL should have a course with dealing with "groupies" (pardon the pun)

Nicci, I agree with what you are saying however this is just not a players or club problem. I by no means condone what has taken place as I cannot see an act as group sex being a male bonding session.

If the act that took place was consensual then all players involved were stupid for taking part in such an act, stupid for cheating on partners or wives.

How can we criticise the players for taking part in something consensual and not lay any blame to the alleged victim that may have consented and for whatever reason 5 days after the fact changes her mind and wants to call it sexual assault.

In today’s society it’s all too easy to throw mud around yet when the truth is reveal the damage has already been done.

The players need to stop and think a little harder these days and consider the consequences of their actions.

And as Trish Johns said, 'I wouldn't want this to happen to my daughter', then players should think, would my sister or mum like this done to them.  If the answer is no, then step in and say something.  Not just walk away like some did.  The ones that knew what was going down, and walked away are just as culpable as the participants.  What happened was just not appropriate or good for anyone.   

What I'm trying to say is that these scandals are the result of numerous factors with many contributors, eg; players, groupies, adoring fans, management cover-ups, the media and alcohol.
I'm not saying that players aren't to blame and I know there is two sides to every story.
I just firmly believe that we contribute to portraying these guys as heroes because they add something simple and positive to our lives, like a win on the weekend.
We put them up there but we rip 'em to shreds just as fast.

Britney is an interesting case for Matty Johns to observe.  There's been a resurrection for Britney.  It follows the usual pathway to redemption.  Sink into depression, allow yourself to be whipped and scorned, expose your early childhood abuse, maybe a brief separation, and then start the crawl back up the pole.  Be seen out and about looking good with partner.  Steady relationship, kids clean and well behaved, do some work for charity or some such gig, and very soon you're back up there, all good. 

DSM5 link said:
Britney is an interesting case for Matty Johns to observe.  There's been a resurrection for Britney.  It follows the usual pathway to redemption.  Sink into depression, allow yourself to be whipped and scorned, expose your early childhood abuse, maybe a brief separation, and then start the crawl back up the pole.  Be seen out and about looking good with partner.  Steady relationship, kids clean and well behaved, do some work for charity or some such gig, and very soon you're back up there, all good.   
Are you suggesting that Britney and Matty could make an album together? If that's the case then let's hope Matty doesn't have to re-release "Oops I did it again."

niccipops link said:
[quote author=DSM5 link=topic=180379.msg223031#msg223031 date=1242370692]
Are you suggesting that Britney and Matty could make an album together? If that's the case then let's hope Matty doesn't have to re-release "Oops I did it again."

[/quote]

I actually think DSM5 wants to bear his soul to us all..... Do tell I'm intrigued  ;D

No winners here?

What we want:
TWTA = TWTSB (The way things are = The way things should be)

Our struggle:
To change TWTA to equal TWTSB

What if:
We change TWTSB to equal TWTA

Rex link said:
No winners here?

What we want:

Our struggle:

What if:
If you swapped the end T & A in your acronym you'd be in trouble.

Rex link said:
No winners here?

What we want:

Our struggle:

What if:

Spelling bee ...meet ...grasshopper.

I think Nicci might be the female version of DSM5, is there another that has got a smite/applaud count like nicci's ? With about 40 posts she's currently running at about 10%.

Love your stuff Nicci.

TokyoEagle link said:
I think Nicci might be the female version of DSM5, is there another that has got a smite/applaud count like nicci's ? With about 40 posts she's currently running at about 10%.

Love your stuff Nicci.
It's all part of my responsibility to this site.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7