The New Brookie

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
Don't think I have seen this pic on here, this is what they are looking to build

690053-footy-field.jpg

THIS is the 24,000-capacity boutique stadium Manly want local member and Federal Opposition leader Tony Abbott to help build and ensure the club remains at Brookvale Oval forever.

A host of club greats yesterday claimed the Northern Beaches ground had been constantly overlooked for federal funding because it wasn't in a marginal seat.

Sea Eagles chief executive Graham Lowe, coach Des Hasler and club greats Bob Fulton, Ken Arthurson, Geoff Toovey and Cliff Lyons have urged Abbott to inject $30 million into the decaying ground, if the Coalition is elected, to build a new grandstand behind the eastern hill.

The new stadium - with five grandstands linked and the hill retained - would be state-of-the-art and offer community facilities under the main grandstand.
"[The community] are sick and tired of seeing money pumped into other grounds. Only this week the Federal Sports Minister pledged $2.7 million for a new grandstand at the home of the Windsor Wolves who play in a second-tier competition," Lowe said.

"Windsor is a marginal seat and that is a carrot for voters.
"The people of the peninsula have been very loyal to Tony Abbott over his lengthy political career and we are asking for them to be repaid for their loyalty.

"If we get $30 million we can have our dream ground for every sport to use."
Arthurson, a friend of Abbott's, said: "There was no problem with John Howard giving support for Kogarah and WIN Stadium in Wollongong when he was in office.

"Brookvale Oval has been neglected for too long. The people on the Northern Beaches deserve better."

Fulton, a long-time Northern Beaches resident and rugby league Immortal, said Brookvale was always neglected for funding.

"Every other club in the NRL - one way or another - has received funding from state or federal grants. The NSW Government has tipped in $6 million and Warringah Council $4 million but we need much more to bring the ground up to the standard of others. The ground wouldn't just be for the Sea Eagles but for the whole community," Fulton said.

Hasler was blunt, declaring: "Our home ground is an embarrassment for our fans. He has been our member for a long time and all we have received is $1 million for an upgrade of the lighting."

Local junior Geoff Toovey added: "It is frustrating travelling to other grounds and see what they have been given while we suffer the price for not being a marginal seat.

"If Tony Abbott is elected he needs to do something as head honcho. His local opponent in the election [Hugh Zoching] has come out in support of the improvements for Brookvale and Mr Abbott needs to do the same."

Lyons said the ground had not changed since he first played there in 1986.
"While I love the ground it is now sub-standard, the people of the peninsula deserve an upgrade. They have paid the price for too long for being Liberal voters," Lyons said.

BErKeLEy_eAgLe link said:
would be great but will $10million build that ?

Think that is 30mill worth mate, have just put the article up, should have submitted it but not sure how the pic would have gone

I like the idea of the hill still being retained

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8