The Official View. GF Talking Points

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

dowdz

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Referees co-coach Stuart Raper looks at all the big decisions from the 2011 NRL Grand Final.

There were a few talking points around the Grand Final but generally we were very happy with the way they all went. A section of the media continually bagged referees saying that they would influence the result but we believe that the best team won in all the playoff and grand final games. Sure, like players there were errors from the referees, but games did not hinge on individual aspects.

http://www.nrl.com/official-view-grand-final-talking-points/tabid/11010/newsid/65198/default.aspx

bones said:
I hate saying this but I agree with every answer he gave.

Yes i think they got them right. Big George has his hearing tomorrow night. Almost forgot that even happened with all that is going on.

The Foran one was contentious because there appeared separation in the last view with the palm but the fingers seemed to be still touching the ball. It should have been a benefit of doubt!!!

What about the forward pass? What about their forward pass in the in goal? That was ****ing offside! Or deliberate forward take your pick

The Eagle said:
What about the forward pass? What about their forward pass in the in goal? That was f**king offside! Or deliberate forward take your pick

True. And the Foran no-try - I must have seen 20 much more dubious 'tries' given during the season.
Slowing it down to frame-by-frame distorts the true action, and shouldn't be done imo. It should only be viewed in normal speed. If it looks like a try to the naked eye then it's a try, and vice-versa.

Anyway, what's the point of coming out with this review 10 days after the event? Do the refs review panel work in slow motion like the vision they base their decisions on?

I agree with the first 3, but the Foran no try I'm not convinced with. I thought he had fingers on the ball the whole time. However, had they awarded that try we wouldn't have seen the awesome flick pass try from the ensuing drop out, so I'm happy with it.

The Eagle said:
What about the forward pass? What about their forward pass in the in goal? That was f**king offside! Or deliberate forward take your pick

What about it? It ws correctly called forward and a line dropout was the result. You can't be offside in your own in-goal so no dramas there. I think a deliberate forward pass would have been a terrible call, it was clearly forward but I doubt it was deliberate, the bloke was just trying to not get caught in his own in-goal.

The Who said:
The Eagle said:

If it looks like a try to the naked eye then it's a try, and vice-versa.

If it looks like a naked eye to the try then it's a naked eye?

Know Raper personally & is a legit upfront bloke like you would expect. His job at that level calls for diplomacy & in most Stu's answers were just that however,
Forans try was a try & at worst Benefit of the doubt.
Pass close enough to be called foward, though seen 100 played on through 2011 far more obvious.
No mention of that Hoppa in the corner try, where I seem to be on my own. Another definate possable benefit of the doubt try for mine but seemed obviously not to everyone else.
Anyways, can be no complaints about the result.

firechild said:
The Eagle said:

What about it? It ws correctly called forward and a line dropout was the result. You can't be offside in your own in-goal so no dramas there. I think a deliberate forward pass would have been a terrible call, it was clearly forward but I doubt it was deliberate, the bloke was just trying to not get caught in his own in-goal.

He was offside, thats a different rule

The Eagle said:
firechild said:
The Eagle said:

Are you talking about the bloke that recieved the pass being in front of the bloke that delivered the pass? If so, he can't be penalised for offside in his own in-goal.

firechild said:
The Eagle said:
firechild said:
The Eagle said:

Are you talking about the bloke that recieved the pass being in front of the bloke that delivered the pass? If so, he can't be penalised for offside in his own in-goal.

So the in goal is a special place where you can't throw a deliberate forward pass? So I can afl kick to my own teammate in the in goal? cool il try that next season

What about the play the ball before manu's try for the warriors. The warriors player got up and pushed Daly 2 dads off his feet when he was standing at marker. Penalty every other week, but i haven't heard this mentioned.

Mal Cochrane said:
What about the play the ball before manu's try for the warriors. The warriors player got up and pushed Daly 2 dads off his feet when he was standing at marker. Penalty every other week, but i haven't heard this mentioned.

Yeah I noticed that. DCE ended up flat on his back. Also, in the Watmough play the ball incident, there could be reason for a penalty to Manly as the Warriors marker were still holding him and it could be argued they swung him around resulting in the incorrect play the ball.

The Eagle said:
firechild said:
The Eagle said:
firechild said:
The Eagle said:

So the in goal is a special place where you can't throw a deliberate forward pass? So I can afl kick to my own teammate in the in goal? cool il try that next season

Yes, you could potentially kick it to a player in front of you who is also in the in-goal. But really, would anyone be that stupid? I think the rule is basically there to stop a penalty try from being awarded because a player (intentionally or unintentionally) comes in contact with the ball from an "offside" position, especially in relation to a loose ball from a kick. Deliberate forward pass can be called in-goal but as I said, I think that would have been a very harsh call in that situation. Forward pass and line dropout was a fair call IMO.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4