The OLD roster now almost reality

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
For years we have been tarnished with the "TOO OLD" calls writing off Manly's premiership chances & its been funny watching the eggs left on many so called experts faces as we dominated the NRL....
Unfortunately this is all becoming reality & its been evident in recent times as the tide turns.
Recently we have lost plenty of experience but imo, apart from the odd player I believe the management got that call right & their form at respective clubs proves that.
Our backbone players Stewart, Lyon, Ballin are certainly still quality players but in all honesty, are past their best.
This years recruits in Mason & Mateo are also on last legs.
Another issue with age is injuries become far more common & in actual fact, this becomes disruptive constantly chopping/changing combinations.
A massive plus is we have 5-7 players who are future NRL players (3 have played NRL already)
Also the ever improving Buhrer could well be the long term captain imo, with young Jake also showing all the capabilities to lead a new era of Seaeagles.
It could take 2-3 years till this new dawn of Manly comes to fruition, but with who we have, plus the massive money we will have to spend on key players, theres no doubt Manly will again have a dominant squad that as we all expect - is the team to beat & for others to hate.....

Are you saying having old players is causing injuries to our young players?

Tom T, Foran, JSL, Buhrer, Starling are all pretty young

I can't agree with what you have written

Are you saying having old players is causing injuries to our young players?

Tom T, Foran, JSL, Buhrer, Starling are all pretty young

I can't agree with what you have written

I cant recall saying anything about young players apart from the fact we have quality younger players coming through who will be the nucleus of Manly in 2-3 years.
The older players mentioned will miss more game time with age as most would expect.
Since 2007 we have been tarnished with an old roster who could not compete for the title due to this factor yet we have done so - convincingly.
I am saying these players (in particular Stewart & Lyon) are finally nearing the end of super careers which imo, is visible when watching Manly play.
The money from such superstars should enable us to lure massive talent to ensure a formidable side in the future.
In actual fact these positions are already safe with both Tom & Clint ready to step up soon.

I actually have to agree. Not about age being responsible for the injuries, but that our roster has a bit of a "Dad's Army" look to it.

Snake's greatest physical asset was his speed and before his knee and hammy injuries he was one of the fastest players in the game. Now his greatest asset is his experience, brilliant one on one defence and his ball playing skills. He's still quick over a short distance, but the days when he could score a length of the field try are long gone.

Killer used to be quick. Not winger quick, but still quick. Now not so much. The skills haven't diminished though. If we don't get a decent 5/8 next year he could play there where outright speed isn't a pre-requisite. His experience would be invaluable, especially if we end up with a young halfback. Though I think 2016 will be his last year

Can't really say that Matai has slowed down because even for a centre he was always one of the slower ones. His problem is the pounding he's given his shoulders over the past decade. These days when he puts on a big hit, while we know the ball carrier is likely to go down, we often see Skivy coming out holding his arm or shoulder because he's hurt himself again.

Same with Matt Ballin. He was never quick, even out of dummy half, but if anything he's even slower now, though not by much.

Mason is probably in his final year, though with him anything is possible. He might still go around in 2016.

I'd say that it would be a miracle if any of that lot are still playing in 2018.

Snake, Killer, Skivy, Matty.....they have all been great for Manly over the past 10 or so years and I'm glad they are going to finish their careers with us. But the reality is that yes, their best years are in the past. Though with guys like the Trbojevic brothers, Gutho, Ferris, Jorge, Peta, Ligi Sao etc, I don't think we're that bad off for replacements. Some might not reach the heights their predecessors have, but we're still going to be contenders if we can fill some holes.

Last edited:
I cant recall saying anything about young players apart from the fact we have quality younger players coming through who will be the nucleus of Manly in 2-3 years.
The older players mentioned will miss more game time with age as most would expect.
Since 2007 we have been tarnished with an old roster who could not compete for the title due to this factor yet we have done so - convincingly.
I am saying these players (in particular Stewart & Lyon) are finally nearing the end of super careers which imo, is visible when watching Manly play.
The money from such superstars should enable us to lure massive talent to ensure a formidable side in the future.
In actual fact these positions are already safe with both Tom & Clint ready to step up soon.

By calling out the "too old" becomming a reality and stating that is why they are injured you have implied the young players do not get injured, i provided plenty of facts to the contrary. We have been hit by injuries but not the too old as it is across all our age groups.

Fluffy - hope your not on the sauce early being a Friday mate.....
The chances of injury are far greater & become far more common with age - its based on fact....sad but true.
When media & opposition fans used to call us out on this point I used to laugh as we went on to dominate the NRL.
We now have Ballin, Lyon , Stewart, Matai, Mason & Lawrence aged 30 - 35 - all who anyone on this site would have in their top 17.
Actually pointed out we have a bright future with young players ready to step up in the very near future & with the addition of key signings will be as strong as ever.
Positive really - just factual.
As for young players in OUR squad being injured - yes we have had a horror run but again - far more likely to occur in that 30 - 35 age bracket.

We had a great team and yeah most of the guys have seen better days. These guys are needed to teach our younger players what it means to play for this club. We are fortunate that we have some wonderful talent coming through. Our club has a tradition and culture that will always mean that form is temporary and class is permanent. We will be back!

The older you are the longer the recovery period, so injuries can have a bigger impact on a season if you have a dad's army.

We had an older team two years ago and where mixing it with the best

Age is not the issue, every team has a smattering on 30-35 year olds

Who says theres a problem??
Exciting times ahead from where I am.
Watmough, Gift & co all still in twenties at that time - where was this older team??
Can still mix it with the best once a full roster becomes available in 2015.
Not talking about players not up to standard - stated clearly the quality of our boys when they actually play, is certainly up to it.
Just a changing of the guard which was always inevitable & is now well & truly taking shape.

You used the word unfortunately, so it sounds like you saying there is a problem.

I am really lost as to what the point of this thread is then, it sounded like you were whinging about our old players getting injured unfortunately becomming reality.

Let's not forget that Mateo and Mason were brought in for the loss of experience in Choc & Gifty.
When the fabric of a well functioning champion team is broken, it's easy raise the deficiencies in certain remaining areas due to age, etc.

QUOTE="maxta, post: 679306, member: 2334"]I cant recall saying anything about young players apart from the fact we have quality younger players coming through who will be the nucleus of Manly in 2-3 years.
In actual fact these positions are already safe with both Tom & Clint ready to step up soon.[/QUOTE]

The Storm have also been written off as "too old". They seem to be managing, and are near the top of the ladder.
My unscientific theory on injuries is this: if you crash two cement trucks together there is going to be carnage. However, if you crash two more pliable objects together they will bend and bounce off. With all the gym and weight work our players are over-muscled. Contrast this to the build of Cameron Smith, who plays more games than anyone and is almost never injured. Then cast your mind back to the build of Beaver Menzies and Cliffy.... neither got injured much.

Big Willie was only a stop gap measure for this year i guess. I was actually pleased he signed with us as i thought he had a great season last year with the Knights. Unfortunately ive seen nothing from him this year to warrant another contract. He should retire at season end.

So as it stands end of 2015 Willie is gone
End 2016 Jamie Lyon is gone
End of 2017 Ballin & Matai are gone.

You used the word unfortunately, so it sounds like you saying there is a problem.

I am really lost as to what the point of this thread is then, it sounded like you were whinging about our old players getting injured unfortunately becomming reality.

Noooo!! Not the word "Unfortunately" :confused:
The word unfortunately relates in this case to some champion older players like the ones mentioned in Lyons, Stewart & Ballin who are in their final years - not really rocket science.
Obviously others were not lost with the meaning of the thread & responded accordingly.
As for whinging - where is that part??
Its a sad day on Silvertails when using the word "unfortunately" means theres a problem.

Noooo!! Not the word "Unfortunately" :confused:
The word unfortunately relates in this case to some champion older players like the ones mentioned in Lyons, Stewart & Ballin who are in their final years - not really rocket science.
Obviously others were not lost with the meaning of the thread & responded accordingly.
As for whinging - where is that part??
Its a sad day on Silvertails when using the word "unfortunately" means theres a problem.
Unfortunately you are right.

maxta is on the money

snake to half
lyon to lock
Dce 5/8
ballin back to 2nd row

fillin the gaps and a premiership awaits

I've heard that the Tits were going after the Boncos Toyota Cup half as a back up if LG took our offer. I think we will go after him now. Apparently a better prospect than LG!

I've heard that the Tits were going after the Boncos Toyota Cup half as a back up if LG took our offer. I think we will go after him now. Apparently a better prospect than LG!
Agree - this is the type of player who we can build around for the next decade - make a play for him 100%

Mason would have been recruited to come off the bench to give starlo and Lawrence a rest. He has had to do more work as a starting prop due to injuries to the others

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6