The Orford truth that drove Ross to Sharks

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SilentBob

Bencher
The Orford truth that drove Ross to Sharks
By Andrew Webster
July 17, 2005
The Sun-Herald
http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/the-orford-truth-that-drove-ross-to-sharks/2005/07/16/1121455938794.html

Queensland Origin forward Ben Ross signed a four-year deal with Cronulla yesterday - and then immediately gave the strongest indication yet that Melbourne are unlikely to re-sign halfback Matt Orford.

Amid a day of wild speculation about his and Orford's futures, Ross agreed to play with the Sharks from next year for $400,000 a season after Melbourne refused to match the massive offer.

Ross said he signed with the Sharks because he wanted to be part of the first side to win a premiership with the Sutherland Shire-based team.

But he all but revealed that Orford is bound for either Manly or Souths when he said that serious doubts about whether the Storm playmaker would re-sign with Melbourne had forced him to shun their offer.

Ross and Orford are both managed by player agent George Mimis, and it's understood that the race for the Storm halfback will end on Tuesday, putting five months of speculation about his future to rest.

"I was very, very close to going to the Storm," Ross said. "But I didn't know what Orford was doing. In some ways it made the decision easier - but it also was the chance to help the club [Cronulla] win its first premiership. That would be pretty special."

Storm chief executive Brian Waldron did not know about the deal when contacted after Ross signed with the Sharks, but was clearly upset at missing out.

He was adamant that Ross was not worth $400,000 a season, while some chief executives The Sun-Herald spoke to were startled at the Sharks' ability to sign Ross, who was on about $240,000 a season at Penrith.

Surely the Sharkies would be using the money Peachey and Stevens were on to sign Ross, it's not rocket science.

Are you an early riser or a night-owl silentbob?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4