The Problems with the Game Today

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ralphie

Bencher
Premium Member
This is my rant about the state of the game. Let me start by saying I am not nostalgic for the “good old days” and I understand that the game must grow and develop, but the direction the game is going is destroying it as a spectacle for me and I just don’t see a way back under the current Administration. There are four main problems as I see it:
1. The 2 referee system
2. The speed of the ruck and the wrestle
3. The interchange system
4. Niggle

The 2 referee system is an abject failure. There is absolutely no evidence that we are getting the decisions right more often than when there was only 1 referee. There is any number of documented cases of one referee calling it one way with the other referee simultaneously calling it another way. Many referee calls are subjective within the bounds of the games rules and we are simply getting constant inconsistency because 2 individuals will always have a slightly different interpretation. I can live with the subjectivity as long as it is consistent within each 80 minutes of football and equal for both sides. Solution – return to the one referee system.

In 1997 the Super League Comp decided it was in the Broncos best interests to speed the ruck up. Make no mistake that was the only reason for it. Since then there has been a warped sense that a fast play the ball will lead to a better game. This is rubbish!!!! All a fast play the ball leads to is incessant dummy half running and one pass from the ruck. A slower ruck will result in attacking teams being forced to play a more expansive and entertaining style to go around the ruck defence, just like they did for decades before 1997. Funnily enough the wrestle, which in itself is destroying the game, is devised to slow the ruck, which you might think would achieve this. Unfortunately the focus of the wrestle has removed multiple players from the defensive line (ie 3 in a tackle) meaning teams will still try and play the middle third to exploit any gaps that come from multiple players in the wrestle. The solution here is to ban the wrestle (Difficult to do), but stop the instant penalties for not getting off the tackled player. Let it slow down a little and the sweeping backline movements will return.

The interchange will help fix the ruck speed if they reduce it from 10 to 5. By having 5 interchanges teams can rotate both props in both halves and have 1 spare for any injuries. Let’s bring fatigue back into play, particularly in the last 20 minutes of the game. The only players that won’t be 80 minute players will be the props.

The no punch rule is crap. I’m not advocating king hits, but two consenting adults squaring off face to face is no problem in my eyes. Apparently boxing is Ok for NRL players (Gallen & SBW to name 2) but 2 blokes squaring off in the heat of battle is not Ok. I just don’t get that logic and all it is leading to is niggle as players like Ennis try to bait someone into losing their cool and getting sin binned. It’s ridiculous, get rid of it now.

RANT OVER!

Can't disagree with anything above, good post. Too much logic in that post for the NRL pinheads to comprehend..

Ralphie I have to agree pretty much with everything you've said:

1. The Faster Game is a good game

This is just such a load of steaming dog t***s. But this is what Smith and Greenknob seem to want. And it's going to result in touch football. Since when is making things quicker meaning better? Some of the best Origin/Semi Finals Matches have been fairly slow, but bruising, tough encounters that the fans LOVED. I always hark back to that 4-0 loss against the Roosters in the 1st week of the Semis....What a Game!! Just brilliant to watch.

2. The niggle and no punch rule and no shoulder charge

This is the biggest joke. I'm not advocating thuggery, but Rugby League is built on collisions/tribalism and some brutality. King hits need to be outlawed...end of story. But two players standing toe to toe and throwing a punch or two. I would say at least 80% of fans love this side of the game. So what if a couple of people don't like it? Rugby League doesn't need to be 100% endorsed by every mother and father in Australia.

And as for the shoulder charge....this is just a joke. If someone makes contact with the head in a tackle (shoulder or elbow or whatever) you do time on the sidelines. But a good shoulder charge is just awesome to watch, and again the players love it!

3. Two refs

I actually didn't think it was a bad idea when it came in. It's had it's chance and it's ruining the game also. Too much inconsistency, get rid of it. The only thing I didn't mind was when it was supposed to be a ref in the pocket (the same one) just stopping the wrestling in the tackle, but this isn't whats happening.

I can't stand Gould ,but the game needs someone like him running it.
An ex footy player ,who loves the game & still has half a brain.
Maybe Kingy could put his hand up..

Not sure about the refs. Agree the current system does not work. The problem i see is that the refs have too much power off the field to influence how they adjudicate. The last 10 years the refs think tank, their ability to introduce interpretation and how the 2 refs are used just shouldnt have happened. I admit the 2 ref system has been a failure but i wonder how it may have been if the refs were told what they can and ca do. The nrl need to take more control over the refs, take some ownership in the process and sort it out.not leave i up to the refs to decide. Being a ref. is a lonely job and of course former refs will sympatise with the mistakes rather than draw a line

The lack of quality halves is also a massive issue in rl. it affects every team either in paying overs or having a lemon, or a lack of depth. The nrl has act to improve its product and this in my opinion is the biggest blight on the game

Agree with all of it. But there is another aspect which is ruining the game: the belief that every decision has to be 100% accurate. It can't happen in any sport. It's not maths where you can get a definitive answer.
That's why the video ref has been an abject failure.
Players make mistakes. So to do refs and we fans. We have to live with the vagaries of sport and, ultimately, cop it. Manly have been robbed plenty of times since the video ref was introduced. Every team has.
Let's get back to one ref (with help from the linesmen) making decisions as he see them on-the-spot. 90% will be correct. The percentages don;t improve with endless video referrals in slow motion.

When it comes to referees, I have always thought the less we see of them, the better the game is. Right now it seems that the refs see themselves as just as important to the result of a game as the two teams playing are. And to put it bluntly, the two referee system has been a total failure. The 4 Nations is a reminder to Aussie and Kiwi league fans what the game should be like.

My biggest complaint though is the video refs. Not only do they take forever and a day to make a decision (giving the game dead periods like you see in American football), but it appears that most of the time they can't get it right no matter how many times they view a replay from umpteen different angles. I mean, its gotten to the point where we now have to sit through 2-3 minutes worth of replays just to see who knocked a ball dead. Those decisions should be left to the on-field ref. If they get it wrong, they get it wrong, but that would be nothing different than what has happened in RL since 1895. Sometimes though I think the on-field refs are too damn scared to make a close-call decision for fear that if they get it wrong they'll be crucified. None of them seem to have confidence in their own decision making and that to me is a folly of the 2-ref system because there are clearly a number of current NRL refs who 20 years ago would have struggled to get past reserve grade.

I don't mind the odd-shoulder charge. Done properly they are usually aimed at the chest, not the head. Banning this was nothing more than a knee-jerk reaction to Inglis' hit on Dean Young 2 or 3 years back. Sure, if contact is made with the head, put it on report or in a worst case, send the offender off. But banning it was not the right move.

Same with punching, I don't mind a bit of the on-field biff (no king-hits though). We all saw how this situation has gotten out of hand when Josh Jackson remained on the field (albeit on report) after he chicken winged Starling in the finals. But Star then threw one at him that wouldn't have hurt his grandmother and he's in the bin for 10 minutes. Where is the justice in that? The offending team remains at full strength, the team on the receiving end then got it from the ref as well.

In both cases, when banning the shoulder charge and punching one of the excuses I constantly heard was that parents wouldn't want their children to play a sport that allows such things. Well boo-bloody-hoo. Rugby League is and always has been a contact sport. If mum and dad want their kids to be athletes but not get hit, go tell them to play soccer or netball or athletics. And besides, as @Killer03 said - since when do mothers (and fathers) dictate what can and can't happen in a game of rugby league?

And another big downside from the game in say the 90's is the 25 different views they get from TV, and the Super Slow Mo replay....it means that nearly every try or attempted try can be given or not given.

For example the Ryan Hall "no try" in Four Nations.....a decade ago that would not have even been considered.

Oh sure, its possibly more accurate today, but it is also way more painful to get to that point.

I just love it when a ref has the balls to award a try straight off these days, trouble is it happens rarely.

Mark from Brisbane said:
And another big downside from the game in say the 90's is the 25 different views they get from TV, and the Super Slow Mo replay....it means that nearly every try or attempted try can be given or not given.

For example the Ryan Hall "no try" in Four Nations.....a decade ago that would not have even been considered.

Oh sure, its possibly more accurate today, but it is also way more painful to get to that point.

I just love it when a ref has the balls to award a try straight off these days, trouble is it happens rarely.

The video ref was never implemented to get a more correct decision, it was implemented to provide more down time to enable a quick commercial break to TV. As for Mums stopping their kids from playing because of the "thuggery" there was a recent article which showed that Soccer and AFL individually had more Hospitalisations than League and Union put together, so the message is clear to the Mum's, have little Johny play league and they will have fewer injuries than if they play soccer or AFL.

Mark from Brisbane said:

Yep agree Mark. The slow motion cameras really throw too much uncertainty in reviews. As you say, the Ryan hall try is a perfect example of this. Never had control of the ball, but slowed right down it looked like he did.

WHICH SPORT MOST OFTEN RESULTS IN HOSPITAL TRIPS?
* Total - 36,237
* Australian Rules football - 3186
* Soccer - 2962
* Cycling - 2917
* Wheeled motor sports - 2737
* Rugby (all) - 2621
* Water Sports - 2502
* Roller sports - 1632
* Equestrian - 1568
* Basketball - 1322
* Netball - 1262
* Ice and snow sports - 1114
* Cricket - 913
* Walking and running - 878
* Racquet sports - 687
* Touch football - 644
* Combative sports - 602
* Fishing - 525
* Dancing - 517
* Hockey - 442
* Adventure and extreme sports - 335
* Golf - 251
* Gymnastics - 121
(Source: Australian sports injury hospitalisations 2011-12 report, Australian Institute of Health and Welfare.)

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/breaking-news/report-finds-afl-most-injury-prone-sport/story-fnhrvfuw-1227112221049?nk=079b69021e33d08692f3378af0db4a64

Of the 2621 rugby, 2620 were union, 1 was league.

Or

WOW league didn't even make the list! Hmm that rugby game looks dangerous.

Does dancing include horizontal folk dancing? There are a huge number of participants, both amateur and professional, so I thought there would be many more injuries.

TWO DOGS said:
Does dancing include horizontal folk dancing? There are a huge number of participants, both amateur and professional, so I thought there would be many more injuries.

Stamina can be an issue with this sport, also early arrivals at the end point can be bad for ones health, in the long term

Shoe1 said:

Or

The Rugby (All) figures are Rugby Union & Rugby League put together. It really puts to rest this great concern about Mums wanting little Johny to play AFL or Soccer because they are safer.

I really don't know why the NRL hasn't made more of this........Oh wait, it's Dave Smith & Todd Greenturd in charge.

The Who said:
Do you know the sport in which most people die in Australia??

Here's a clue. The initials are LB.

no way

it's rock fishing

Ralphie said:
Shoe1 said:

Or

The Rugby (All) figures are Rugby Union & Rugby League put together. It really puts to rest this great concern about Mums wanting little Johny to play AFL or Soccer because they are safer.

I really don't know why the NRL hasn't made more of this........Oh wait, it's Dave Smith & Todd Greenturd in charge.
Stats can sometimes be misleading.
For example, you'd need to disclose the participation rates for the various sports, otherwise it's meaningless.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6