The Protected Species ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
The Silvertails Poster boy, Matt Ballin

Over the 4 weeks, Orford, Watmough, Kite, King, Neumann, Robertson etc have all been lambasted on this site, without any word said on Matt Ballin

His form over the 1st month of the season has been mediocre, and even mediocre may be a bit kind. As 1 of our main points of attack on the field, he has offered nothing. Runs out of dummy half have been non existent, has done a bit of kicking, most of it poor, seems to have dropped off plenty of tackles, and most importantly, when we are hot on attack, his options have been attrocious, Orford should not be getting full blame for this area. 2m out from the line, Ballin is consistently just hitting forwards 1 out and we are wasting every opportunity. I think back to Monaghan playing in the 9, and he got destroyed on this site week in week out, and it was hit fault Orford wasn't playing well, but have not heard a whisper on Ballin's form

I am a Ballin fan, and am happy we re-signed him again, but like a lot of the side, he needs to lift 100% for us to get back on track

Ballin  has been ordinary compared to last year - true - but he has plenty of friends. Le Snak has been hot and cold as well.

Ballin can only play what is presented to him. Someone should be running the attack, I don't know whether that is his responsibility or Orfords, but if there is no structure then he is just going to pass to whoever calls for it. Maybe he should try and run it more himself, can't be any worse than what we are being forced to endure now.

C & C surely Ballin would be one of the main play callers being in Dummy half and having his hands on the ball first.

Manly supporters were telling me at the start of the season if Cam Smith got injured Ballin should get the Qld Origin hooking spot ahead of Friend. My biggest beef is he doesn't or can't play 80mins like Friend can. We are wasting a reserve and 2 of the 10 interchanges by playing a reserve hooker

Dan link said:
C & C surely Ballin would be one of the main play callers being in Dummy half and having his hands on the ball first.

I don't know, my question wasn't a rhetorical one. If he is setting the plays then he deserves as much criticism as Orford for the shambles that is our attack at the moment

Realistically obsticals have been put in Manlys way this year, however you view them, NRL Decisions, penalties, bounce of ball, weather in two of our games, compounding with some poor play makes it look pretty bad. We just need to accept it a keep on pounding away, no one can take last year away from us and remember 4-6 point ahead of most teams in  the minor premiership race apart from storm & sharks last year, so given all this im not ready to give up, all though i feel like it. Ive been watching the footie and supporting manly for 42 years, and i dont think any team will ever have the ability or be allowed to win back to back premieships ever again, the NRL and the system will not allow it, (i.e salary cap, media pressure on success, tall poppy etc). Bear with it, suck it up and be proud, we are premiers still and are still the most feared team in the NRL, we will bounce back and be strong, i have to believe that!

Ernie you are correct.  We are wasting an interchange and for what?  Ballin is fit enough and if we want consistency out of him, leave him on the park for the full 80.  The attacking mess is for the full 80 so Ballin can't be held responsible for when he isn't on the park.  Orford can't or won't direct the game without the assistance of a good 5/8th.  Des moved Lyon when he was getting it and now Bailey will take time to adjust.  Whether he's up to it is a question however.  Lyon was a very good player being shifted.  Bailey was never in Lyons' class.  Imo Des should put Lyon back at 5/8th, Ballin to play the full 80 and work on the centre position.      

i think we score more when Heath is on the field. Yet with even less game time than last season... we struggle with points this year.

Anyone find any stats to prove we score more with Ballin.. esp last year.

His form is no better or worse than the rest of them really. I am sure they are all trying hard, but not one of them apart from Lyon were playing in any form.

Can Ballin or Le Snak play in the halves? Even Storm are prepared to try Smith at 5/8th.

LeSnack can plat 5/8 and imo would be a soild one.

I am saving any major judgements on the team until the backline is back to its normal formation, then we can start judging our proper 1st grade side

Being made look poor is magnified when rest of team is below par.............. Orford kicking out twice on the full, MacDrugal loosing ball into one of our players (a knock on) leading to a try didnt help. Just bounce of the ball crap every team goes thru from time to time, cement on our corn flakes hard up and move on...............

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6