The question we will never get answered

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
The retention of glen stewart

Was glen not offered a contract based on his injury/ age/ abilitiy or
Was glen not offered a contract based on his clan brett and barry being in with zorba and the penns.

Remember it was the qantum side of the board that appaently blocked his signing

The reaction from the players inside may just prove that glens departure was about politics rather than the future and tha is bad

What do yo think now the dust is settling

If he wasn't spoken to, in the presence of his manager as to why they didn't/couldn't offer him a contract then that's all that needs to be known. I believe the club did all it could to retain him within the constraints of the salary cap and future retention but you can't table a 200K contract if the NRL values him at 500K. But if they just didn't bother with an explanation then that would be the only unanswered part of the equation.

With Buhrer coming off contract and showing he has that potential to fill the gap left by Gift he would have been the priority of the club.

Toovs should also be held in high regard as i think he would have had a lot of sleepless nights about having to make the choice of letting such a great personality leave the club.

Look at the Situation of the Storm, Slater, Cronk and Smith have all recently extended with Bellamy retiring at the end of 2016. They will be 33/34 when he retires and then who will fill those huge shoes? Obviously not Bellamy's problem. Wouldn't want to have that succession plan at Manly that's for sure

Without the NRL grating substantial increased concessions for long serving players clubs will continue to let players like gift go because they cannot afford to keep them and risk losing the next generation of players.

What do you expect with the blazer brigade like Smith in charge of the NRL. NFI

I was under the impression an offer was in the pipeline but was not offered to Glenn for the following reasons:

1. After counsel from the NRL, the Club were advised that the NRL wouldn't sign off on the contract because it was way below the market value of a player of his ability

2. A contract was drawn up but Manly felt that to offer it to Glenn (via his manager/agent), it would have been disrespectful to a player of his standing. Again, because the offer was so low.

As things have turned out, I wish Choc had asked for a release from the start, because then with the $$$ he was receiving for 2015 could have been better used topping up Glenn's contract. I would rather Gift than Choc anyday.

The club needed the cash to move forward with youth in the team. Gift was old and injured and would command too much cash.

simon_eagle said:
As things have turned out, I wish Choc had asked for a release from the start, because then with the $$$ he was receiving for 2015 could have been better used topping up Glenn's contract. I would rather Gift than Choc anyday.

That's a chicken and egg thing. I suspect Gift not being offered a contract was a major contributing factor to Choc asking for a release.

You could call it Gifty's final gift to us.

simon_eagle said:
I was under the impression an offer was in the pipeline but was not offered to Glenn for the following reasons:

1. After counsel from the NRL, the Club were advised that the NRL wouldn't sign off on the contract because it was way below the market value of a player of his ability

2. A contract was drawn up but Manly felt that to offer it to Glenn (via his manager/agent), it would have been disrespectful to a player of his standing. Again, because the offer was so low.

More or less correct. Actually completely correct. We had less than 200k to offer him and thus did not make an offer.

Frank said:
simon_eagle said:

That's a chicken and egg thing. I suspect Gift not being offered a contract was a major contributing factor to Choc asking for a release.

You could call it Gifty's final gift to us.

Yes, you're right Frank. Just a shame that Choc's true colours have only just come out, whereas Gift has been the ultimate professional given the circumstances. Not once has he publicly bagged the club at all. He had reason to, Choc didn't.

Truth be told. The club made the right call on Gifty but communicated it to the players atrociously.

Lets hope some lessons have been learnt by management before we face this situation again.

Dan said:
simon_eagle said:

More or less correct. Actually completely correct. We had less than 200k to offer him and thus did not make an offer.

Rediculous. Would gladly have seen Tom Symonds & Horo off and used that money to keep Gift. Then we could have kept Choc & the youngsters they wanted to sign. This has been poorly handled from the start and the reasons why Choc,The Stewarts,Foz & Matai are so pissed off. People on here are happy to see 2 club legends gone & replaced by has beens and maybes. This is disasterous. We have no forward leader, no club legend to show the way for the new breed to learn our culture.

mickqld said:
Dan said:
simon_eagle said:

Rediculous. Would gladly have seen Tom Symonds & Horo off and used that money to keep Gift. Then we could have kept Choc & the youngsters they wanted to sign. This has been poorly handled from the start and the reasons why Choc,The Stewarts,Foz & Matai are so pissed off. People on here are happy to see 2 club legends gone & replaced by has beens and maybes. This is disasterous. We have no forward leader, no club legend to show the way for the new breed to learn our culture.

I'm doing handstands I'm sick off player power and just like Gus Gould did at penrith he cleaned them out. He was called a fool and now everybody is following his lead.

Mavin said:
mickqld said:
Dan said:
simon_eagle said:

I'm doing handstands I'm sick off player power and just like Gus Gould did at penrith he cleaned them out. He was called a fool and now everybody is following his lead.
The moral of the story is players that play with passion for their clubs can help their club win premierships and if they don't have the passion to play for their club then piss them off :p

We may never know the in's and out's of this saga and most agree it has been poorly handled but the upshot of Choc biting off his nose to spite his face is hard to cop - he could've been the most capped (greatest?) Sea Eagle of all if he renewed for 2016/17.
Decisions are made in pro sport and sometimes take years to be proven right or wrong.
Time will tell.

Just speculation from me, but maybe they were the two "unionists" so to speak in the squad and the time had come.

What about all the hoo haa about toovey been given the green light to offer gifty a contract and then some of the board, reported as phil sydney withdrawing that offer leaving gifty no choice after being pissed about for considerable time Are we to believe this didnt happen and it was reported incorrectly. Thats the stuff i was refering to originally

Obviously salary cap issues effect all teams , we were no different.

The club DID make Glen an offer , however it wasnt what he wanted and i dont think he was ever going to get what he wanted.

started shopping around , and bunnies got him.

the reasons why he wasnt offered what he wanted could of been a number of things

salary cap , age , injuries , looking into the future etc...

at the end of the day not all decisions turn out like you plan ( hence - reaction from choc/snake/foran/matai )

however clubs need to make decisions to prolong success & life at the club.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8