The Root of a Successful Manly Coach

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ramrod

Reserve Grader
When Des commenced coaching back in 2004, I remember reading, how much of the coaching technique and methodology he applied was a direct influence and copy of Fulton's.

If we then give credit to Fulton, we will have to see where Bozo plied his trade and learnt his coaching skills.

Now, let see.... Bozo played under Stanton, Georgie Hunter (68 GF), Ron Willey (72 and 73 GF) and Wally O'Connell (1951 GF). O'Connell was Bozo's first coach. Stanton was coached by O'Connell and Hunter. Hunter was coached by Arko. Willey was coached by Arko. Arko coached us to 2 GF (57 and 59) and was coached by O'Connell in 1951 GF.

I remember Mossop saying if Arko tells you to run through a wall, you'd do it.

So, the root of our coaching success goes back to O'Connell and Arko.

Tooves was coached mainly by Bozo, but Arko was a mentor to Bozo.
Tooves will be a great coach because it is built within our club culture from way back to the early 50s. You can't build such culture overnight. It took Manly decades to mold our success.

I believe Manly owe Arko and Wally our successes by creating a tradition of breeding great coaches.

---

Tooves is another in the long line of great Manly coaches, and he has a long successful future in front of him.

Andy1972
Manly Forever.

I said something along similar lines elsewhere.

Clearly the most influential men in the Club's history were O'Connell, Arthurson, Fulton, Willey and Stanton. In the latter's case, not just because of his playing/coaching, but because as CEO he kept the Club solvent during a very difficult period - 1997-2001. So we could come out at the other end of the JV with a licence in the NRL (and thanks to Arko for insisting on that stipulation).

No doubt Hasler deserves a mention in that company, however (for now) he has soiled his copybook!

In a decade or so we will be saying similar things about Toovey.

As good as Des was (and is), I am confident Tooves will be an even better coach than Des. Even if we could undo what was done when he left, and there were no hard feelings, I would not take Des as coach over Tooves.

Tooves has moved from L plates to P plates, or so the Tele reckons , for me he's well past his P's, not yet in the master class BUT well on the way

If you type in google "best rugby league defensive record in history" the first result is Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, but interestingly not because of a direct match of the search term.....its as if google is an artificial intelligence and just knows the right answer for that search term.

In any case the best defensive consistency I have ever witnessed was the Toovey-captained, Fulton-coached side of the mid-90's...they were unbelievable as many will recall. I remember one night game in a top of the table clash in the wet they withstood about 8 sets on their line, dropout after dropout and the attack couldn't penetrate. I recall thinking at that game that I was witnessing a extremely rare occurrence whereby a team is working beyond their individual talent limit; like an attacking nest of ants the eagles seemed to become a united army that lifted above the merits of the individuals to create an impenetrable wall. I feel that Tooves is recalling this strength of that 90's team and coaching it into today's team....for sure. Now for those that remember nights like the example here, the one man that stood as a inspirational strength during those goal-line onslaughts was tooves...throwing his body into big man after big man allowing his forwards to do finish off the attackers. It was not Hasler that I remember as purely inspirational in those times, sure, he was an amazing athlete and worked just as hard as tooves, but tooves was their all game and would scream at his troops to keep going and never relent. He was the king ant that never let the troops to allow doubt to creep into their minds. Tackle after tackle after tackle tooves would never relent. Well now it is 2013, and tooves is screaming at his troops never to relent, and whilst Dessie does a great job of bringing the best out of the dogs, there is one man that oozes inspiration....and that tooves!

And we know that defense wins premierships, defense creates attack, just as last night shows the relentless intimidation of being picked up and driven back by Manly increases that drop-ball of our opponents. The media says Canterbury were sloppy last night but no, I say Manly's defense is creating those drops balls. And tooves knows that and he coach's it....all week long.

So bring it on..... 2013 the year of Eagle Wall. Tooves has had these guys for little over a year and now his mark is appearing in the players as they channel tooves' amazingly inspirational never relent attitude!

So yes, Tooves is well and truly tapping into that great Manly river of coaching excellence.

Just on des lookin at him in the press conference and a few other things he looks a broken man. I believe the honeymoon is over and he regrets leaving. I'd love to see him leave the dogs at the end of the season and pick up a rep job.

I read the title of the thread and I was expecting to see a photo of some hottie.

Ralphie said:
I read the title of the thread and I was expecting to see a photo of some hottie.

or THE goat :D

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7