The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
How Davey starts over Schuster is amazing, Schuster is the future and should be starting.
Why would we reward his poor performances of recent? Why would you drop a guy out there busting his gut for his team? Davey has nowhere near the talent Schu has, but Schu could learn something very valuable from Davey in work ethic and effort. We all want Schu to come good and be a star for us, but the kid needs to work hard and earn it. There is a bit too much laziness (or, sloppiness?) in his game at the moment. I just don't like the message it would give the team if you dropped Davey for Schu on current effort and output. That said, I would like to see Schu given more time on the field and a more intelligent role than this 10 minute cameo junk.

We have Jake and Croker but possibly need another all-action tackling machine to balance the pack. A Cam McInes or Reuben Cotter type.

Back in the day we had some great attacking forwards such as Lowe but his workload was picked up by the likes of Randall and Martin, or Fatty covering for Crusher in defence. If we end up with Schu as well as say Haumole and Tuilagi that looks a bit lopsided in favour of attack.
I can see Fulton becoming that player, but prob not totally ready next year.

He does look out of sorts at the moment.
I think it isn't helping by the coach not actually having a plan on how to use him,last night just chuck him in on the right to rest Olakau'atu,next week who knows?
He has gone into this season not knowing where he fits in,does he lose a ****load of weight to play 5/8 and get smashed when asked to play edge?
Does he try to maintain more weight and get no game time and has no fitness so he can play on an edge?
For me,Des has ****ed this up,I think going into next year as the starting 6 he will be back in shape like he was as a junior and it will be a different kettle of fish.
He needs to play 6 for a side and at the moment it is probably for Workers,well done to Des for this bull****.
What is best for the side at the moment is probably not sitting him on the bench all game and being an afterthought.
In regards to his attitude or management,no one here knows and is all just speculation and gibberish.

I don’t care for Davey at all...I was vehemently opposed to his signing. However, he has been super reliable; particularly in defence. If Schuster starts last night, Melbourne win.
So for next year if he does not work out at 6 is Latu Fainu the back up plan ?

I think it isn't helping by the coach not actually having a plan on how to use him,last night just chuck him in on the right to rest Olakau'atu,next week who knows?
He has gone into this season not knowing where he fits in,does he lose a ****load of weight to play 5/8 and get smashed when asked to play edge?
Does he try to maintain more weight and get no game time and has no fitness so he can play on an edge?
For me,Des has ****ed this up,I think going into next year as the starting 6 he will be back in shape like he was as a junior and it will be a different kettle of fish.
He needs to play 6 for a side and at the moment it is probably for Workers,well done to Des for this bull****.
What is best for the side at the moment is probably not sitting him on the bench all game and being an afterthought.
In regards to his attitude or management,no one here knows and is all just speculation and gibberish.
This nails it. I agree he looks like he needs to refocus. Elite athletes perform well on the back of months of hard work and training before each performance. Whilst he has come back after a long layoff with injury he needs to roll up his sleeves up and impress his coach. Des isn't doing the player or the team any favors sitting him on the bench for 70 minutes each week. He knows Des won't be picking him at 5/8 whilst Foran is present and fit so he needs to focus on the job at hand. Common Schu get stuck in.

Shu had quite a reasonable game against the Warriors a few weeks ago and in the 6 role , even taking into account their lower ranking . Guess the difference also is that he was able to start and play a full game . Based on last night in particular however , can 't warrant a start . Seems to be an attitude factor also and just a bit too casual , even a reluctance to wrap up the ball carrier with some intent and some general hesitancy when he is in some attacking positions . Should be some opportunity against the knights to have more time on the field , not that they won 't try to be competitive but D C E backing up also . Not sure much will be achieved with placing him back at Black town , maybe a few extra K G "s this season but still so much ability and even being considered fringe S O O consideration last season playing in the back row and when his form level was quite impressive . Future playing position. is just academic at the moment , just being able to get his Mojo back again and back to his still capable level of good footy the priority . Can only expect him to come good again but also needs more time on the paddock to enable it , Bit of a quandary , needs some change in attitude and commitment also naturally but again sure that his best footy is with in his reach again soon .

Shu had quite a reasonable game against the Warriors a few weeks ago and in the 6 role , even taking into account their lower ranking . Guess the difference also is that he was able to start and play a full game . Based on last night in particular however , can 't warrant a start . Seems to be an attitude factor also and just a bit too casual , even a reluctance to wrap up the ball carrier with some intent and some general hesitancy when he is in some attacking positions . Should be some opportunity against the knights to have more time on the field , not that they won 't try to be competitive but D C E backing up also . Not sure much will be achieved with placing him back at Black town , maybe a few extra K G "s this season but still so much ability and even being considered fringe S O O consideration last season playing in the back row and when his form level was quite impressive . Future playing position. is just academic at the moment , just being able to get his Mojo back again and back to his still capable level of good footy the priority . Can only expect him to come good again but also needs more time on the paddock to enable it , Bit of a quandary , needs some change in attitude and commitment also naturally but again sure that his best footy is with in his reach again soon .
I don't want him playing for Workers either...you ask what will it achieve,do you think the side is better having him sit on the bench for 70 minutes?
Maybe it will give him some regular game time and get his fitness back?
Maybe it will test his commitment?

I don't want him playing for Workers either...you ask what will it achieve,do you think the side is better having him sit on the bench for 70 minutes?
At the moment yes. Who would you take out of the starting side to put him in? The only alternative is to use him in the Walker role to inject him earlier.

At the moment yes. Who would you take out of the starting side to put him in? The only alternative is to use him in the Walker role to inject him earlier.
I am not sure what you are getting at,I said if he is not starting then is the side better having him on the bench for 70.
I did not say start him,although how he would be performing if he had an extended run is hypothetical still because he has not had that chance.
My point is that it is better to have someone else on the bench and give him game time in reserves than doing **** all for 10 minutes a game if he is not starting.

Definitely not on the bench for 70 min . and can 't be ahead of Walker at the moment either . Sure that he could have come on earlier against the Cows and even last night . No co incidence that the Storm had their late game scoring spree with Jake , Haumole ,. Walker off the field , Josh is no such substitute and of course for Jake and Haumole especially at present for what they offer and not in regard to your post but more then him to take some defensive responsibility also . Who knows what Des might do , must win games against the knights and Dragons as well approaching but also surely more game time for Josh all things normal .

Joe, I respect your knowledge and judgement ... but if I'm the coach, .. the Shu in 29 appearances, hasn't shown me enough commitment, attitude, desire or character for me to waste one minute of my time on him ... I have 29 other players to worry about.

His issues of laziness and casual attitude to defense, along with (IMO) the determination to continue with a style of football that was successful in the juniors .. but dodgy and shaky in the big league ... none of these has anything to do with how the coach is using him ...

If he was good enough he would have relegated Foz to the bench .. he isn't/wasn't.
If he was good enough he would have relegated Guaca or Davey to the bench ... he isn't/wasn't.

I usually agree with your footy insights but not sure about this one. Schu is really having a 2nd year syndrome and I'd say the injuries he's sustained before and during the comp have had quite a bit to do with that. After time out with injury i don't agree bringing him back on the bench has been an error by Des, and if you are on the bench you need to be ready to fill whatever role happens to need it. Putting him back to Blacktown would have caused a riot here, can you imagine! Not that Des would ever take that into account of course).

If you are playing from the bench and want to be a starter then ball is in your court, with your training and your performance each week in the minutes you get.

If Davey was having a shocker then I'd agree, bring Schu in to start, but with Davey being solid and tough, Schu being inconsistent and an error risk, and our position on the ladder in this year's comp, I'm not surprised how he's been used.

Bye week is a great opportunity for Schu to make an impression during training.

The kid will come good, I don't agree with posters saying he's a dud just because he's not a Cam Murray type. He's potentially more an Artie Beetson type imo, and I'm so happy he's got these couple of years to watch and learn so much from Foran how to play the game.

Joe, I respect your knowledge and judgement ... but if I'm the coach, .. the Shu in 29 appearances, hasn't shown me enough commitment, attitude, desire or character for me to waste one minute of my time on him ... I have 29 other players to worry about.

His issues of laziness and casual attitude to defense, along with (IMO) the determination to continue with a style of football that was successful in the juniors .. but dodgy and shaky in the big league ... none of these has anything to do with how the coach is using him ...

If he was good enough he would have relegated Foz to the bench .. he isn't/wasn't.
If he was good enough he would have relegated Guaca or Davey to the bench ... he isn't/wasn't.
Are you defending Des now? Jokes Woodsie 😂
Rare for you to be agreeing with Des,it is all good,I think he will come good next year or if given a real shot at a spot,we all have our opinions,he has played some good footy at NRL when picked and pasted before at both spots.
I know old Scottish gits don't like cuddling people but the modern day young adult is a different beast raised a different way.
As an aside,Des not selecting him could be interpreted by some as more a reflection on Des.....depends on how you like to view things I guess.

Last edited:
Far out, he's a good player ... just needs game time. This week he played a rep game Saturday... got the flu and was apparently sick as a dog ... then ran on for 20 minutes last night. Maybe he should not have played, but he should not be judged too harshly for a run out when Des would have been expecting the game to be over.

He is a good player and we are lucky to have him.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4