The silent treatment: Manly put on notice

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

deadlyeagle

Reserve Grader
The silent treatment: Manly put on notice
Glenn Jackson | August 21, 2008
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/manly-put-on-notice/2008/08/20/1218911827321.html

AFTER giving his players the silent treatment following their shock loss to South Sydney on Sunday, Manly coach Des Hasler changed all that three days later. When he did get around to addressing the players following their third loss from four matches, he threatened them all with the axe.

"It won't happen again," halfback Matt Orford said of the 40-32 defeat to the Rabbitohs.

"It's not acceptable here. No one's irreplaceable here, and if it continues, Des made it clear that he won't hesitate to kick you up the butt and bring someone in who wants to do the job. This part of the year is too important to have lapses like that."

Even Orford, the Sea Eagles' skipper and chief playmaker, was put on notice by the coach as the players dissected the video of Sunday's encounter - a defeat that followed losses to Melbourne (16-10) and the Roosters (34-12) since round 20.

"I'm no exception," he said. "It didn't matter whether we were playing Melbourne or we were playing South Sydney, we all should have turned up with the right attitude and we didn't."

The defeat to the Rabbitohs, who were out of finals contention, all but ended the Sea Eagles' minor premiership aspirations, but, according to the players, it may still serve a useful purpose.

"It's not a bad time to get a kick in the bum," veteran Steve Menzies said.

"If it can get us going with three weeks to go and get a bit of momentum, we might look back and say it was good."

Orford added: "It was a huge reality check. There were a lot of things we thought we were doing well in. It takes something like that to give you a wake-up call. The video doesn't lie. There were a lot of things we didn't do right against Souths. It's not acceptable.

"We haven't been like that all year - that's why we've been so consistent. We didn't play like a top-two team. But we knew ourselves - everyone was filthy on our effort. We've got three games to turn that around."

It begins on Saturday night at ANZ Stadium with Wests Tigers, who have a better record over the past month but are still very unpredictable. The Sea Eagles realise the importance of the game has been magnified by their scratchy form of late.

"If we turn up like we did on Sunday, we'll get the same result," Orford said. "But you won't see that again from us."

Orford's own up-and-down form has led to renewed speculation about his future. Sacked Canberra halfback Todd Carney has been linked with a move to Brookvale in 2010, and Orford - who is off contract at the end of next season - somewhat curiously said the club would be "crazy not to look at him".

"The kid's a huge talent in the game," he said. "Obviously he's had some troubles in his time, but he's a class player and a rep player of the future.

"If he sorts out his off-field stuff, he could be anything in this game, and as soon as he realises that, you can't blame the club for looking at someone like that. [But] hopefully I can still play for a few years."

But where? "Who knows? I haven't really sat down with Des and the staff to see what's going on, but I'm still here for another year," Orford said. "If the body feels great, I'd love to continue that. It just depends. If they've got future plans, we'll talk about it when it comes. It's way too early."

¡ The Bulldogs have suffered another blow, with Brisbane centre Darius Boyd rejecting their interest to sign a three-year deal with St George Illawarra. Boyd is perhaps Wayne Bennett's most prized signing yet for his 2009 Dragons side, joining Canberra duo Neville Costigan and Michael Weyman, Melbourne's Jeremy Smith and Penrith's Luke Priddis at the club.

**************************************************************************************

Good to see Des kicking the up the arse, as what was stated although we loss it could be gratifying at the end of the season, but personally the rest of our season will depend on this game, if we loose again our season will go downhill but if we win it should give some confidence.

And does anyone actually believe these threatened axings will happen???

Getting a dressing down from hasler would be akin to getting slapped across the face with a damp tissue.

Fro link said:

Getting a dressing down from hasler would be akin to getting slapped across the face with a damp tissue.

Well that wouldn't be too pleasant if the tissue was wet from Mata watching a Matt Ballin highlights video ;)

Fro link said:

Well it seemed to work after the St George game so here's hoping.

Nice work Gronk LOL

Fro link said:

Well based upon past history we can enjoy watching Willo, Bryant & co until the season ends

Does anyone think that a coach kicking one's arse is what motivates top level footballers? In the end it is your personal approach, will to win and composure etc that makes a difference.

Mind you, Des did burn the paint off the wall after the St G game. However, the players must take responsibility. We will only win this year if we want it badly enough.

Fro link said:

depends what the tissue was wet with

When it comes to the issue of motivation lets not forget there is a Grand Final clearly in sight. I dont believe there is one player in our ranks who wouldnt be motivated by that thought.

And when you think about it, there are only 2 spots in this team that are not up to a contentious coaches discretionary call. Thats the 1. and the 7.

Over the last number of years Des has made most players positonally versatile so each spot (other than 1 & 7) is up for grabs.

Even boxhead will want to beat out princess for a spot if need be.

It won't happen again," halfback Matt Orford said of the 40-32 defeat to the Rabbitohs.What won't happen ??? his stupid cross field bombs week after week that don't reach the mark maybe orford should be the first to be dropped.

Full strength guys, I'd drop both Bryant and Willow. Here is the team I'd field vs. the one Des would field:-

Ryan's Team:-

01. Brett Stewart 
02. Michael Robertson
03. Steve Matai
04. Steven Bell
05. David Williams
06. Jamie Lyon
07. Matt Orford
08. Josh Perry
09. Matt Ballin
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Steve Menzies
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Heath Le'Strange
15. Adam Cuthbertson
16. Jason King
17. Glenn Hall

Des' Team

01. Brett Stewart 
02. Michael Robertson
03. Steve Matai
04. Steven Bell
05. David Williams
06. Jamie Lyon
07. Matt Orford
08. Josh Perry
09. Matt Ballin
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Luke Williamson
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Heath Le'Strange
15. Mark Bryant
16. Jason King
17. Steve Menzies

I don't care what people say, my team is stronger, and the only reason Des won't go for it, is the photo's both Box and Willow have of him dressed up in his wifes lingerie doing unsavoury acts to a bedroom pillow.

rhino do you have an excel file you with all the players in it so you can pull your yarts out quickly or do you type it out each time?

Threatened with axing what a joke.  The boys would have been rolling around the floor laughing at that threat from Des.

Could you imagine Kite being threatened with being replaced by Phil Deadwood if he didn't pull his socks up.  Ox being replaced by Robson if he doesn't start kicking the ball more than 10 metres when going for touch,  Beaver being replaced by Nick Bradley Koala if he drops the ball and misses any mroe tackles and Watmough being replaced by Jack halfasanga for being plain useless.  RAFLMTO

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4