The Silvertails' View

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
The Silvertails' View

I’m astounded at the push on some of the other web-sites to have Monaghan retained by the club, with some even suggesting that Max Delmege should be bought in to operate the club at the expense of current management.

This comes on a day when I had the privilege of sitting in the Manly Board Room with the incoming CEO, Pat Wilson. I found him to be an articulate man of intelligence and strategy, with the ability to drive a hard bargain.

I was there to discuss a business proposal. Let’s just say that I left shaking my head at how he had managed to put every imaginable test in our path, to the benefit of the Manly club. My admiration him is high, for there is nothing that gains the respect of a businessman more than a worthy protagonist (not that we’re opponents in this situation).

Consider this. The current management took over a club that was on the precipe of disaster. Less than two years later we have at least five marque players on our books and a shot at a place in the Final Eight. Examine that process and you will find that this has mostly arisen from the foresight, hard work and diligence of the current management and coaching staff.

Which brings us to the matter of Michael Monaghan. A straw poll of 9 clubs last night revealed none of them with a particular desire to have them on their books. Even perennial cellar dwellers, Souths, only want him if Manly pay a large part of his salary for the next three years.

Was it incompetent management that bought us into this situation? Or something else?

A few weeks ago I was widely pilloried for revealing that the club had no desire to retain Monaghan earlier this year. However, the sane and rational judgement of management (a judgement backed up by most “experts� in the form of media commentators) was overruled when a small rump of fans began a vocal and strident campaign to have him re-instated, a campaign that bought about the intervention of Max Delmege.

Consider this. Since the re-signing of Michael Monaghan he has done naught but confirm the original judgement of management. His reputation as a flat track bully has only been enhanced as we have fallen to six losses in seven games against quality opposition with the parlous level of our play-making being badly exposed. We have been impotent in attack – something the “playmaker� must take full responsibility for.

Secondly we have been greeted to the spectre of a club captain fighting an open media war with club management. This is not as appropriate as many are trying to make out.

Monaghan is one of several club captains on the outer with their clubs this year. Yet where are the cries of disloyalty from the likes of Mark O’Neill and Robbie Kearns? Why aren’t they trying to jeopardise the future prospects of their club. It’s called loyalty, and when it comes to the Monaghan family, it seems to be in short supply.

Which brings me to the following quote from the official club forum:

“I believe the time has come for Max Delmage (sic), the clubs majority owner and saviour to come in and run the club, put people that know how to conduct a business professionally into the club so as we are not the laughing stock of the nrl (sic). Max has a huge investment in this club and he has made it clear he does not want to interrupt or interfere with the clubs business but I believe the time has come for max to step up and take control of this shambolic disgraceful situation (sic).�

If anything is shambolic or disgraceful it is the situation whereby a silent equity partner and board member forgets that their role is policy, and starts to intervene in day to day management.

Furthermore, Max Delmege, whilst successful in property development in recent years (though this has not always been the case) is not a foot balling expert. The opinion of the experts was over ridden in the case of Monaghan and the situation we have now is the result. Had this intervention not happened, no-one would be complaining right now!

Monaghan would probably have a contract with another club (albeit an English one given the lack of interest in his services at the going price in the NRL) and would be more settled on the field in trying to guide us to a much needed finals place. Orford would be with us alongside some significant depth in outside backs and forwards, secured with the $720,000 currently being tied up by Monaghan!

I have no desire to minimize the significance of the cash injection provided by Delmege last year. It was a welcome show of faith in the club AND its management.

Our Executive knows exactly how to run a football club and have the runs on the board. The problems only show up when matter have been taken out of their hands.

I think it’s time that ALL Manly fans show some faith in their Executive and give them the time, space and opportunity to do the things that are hard necessities if we are to again taste the fruits of Premiership success.

The foolish alternatives suggested above are a little bit like suggesting that Microsoft be surrendered to anyone with a Playstation, and run by committee.

The Silvertails' View

Great article - couldn't agree more with you and have tried to say so on MSE, though not as eloquently. (a lot shorter tho!!!) :clap:

The Silvertails' View

Feel free to put that over at MSE. I can't for the life of me see why it would be deleted.

The Silvertails' View

Matabele 2/8/2005
This comes on a day when I had the privilege of sitting in the Manly Board Room with the incoming CEO, Pat Wilson. I found him to be an articulate man of intelligence and strategy, with the ability to drive a hard bargain.

Consider this. The current management took over a club that was on the precipe of disaster. Less than two years later we have at least five marque players on our books and a shot at a place in the Final Eight. Examine that process and you will find that this has mostly arisen from the foresight, hard work and diligence of the current management and coaching staff.

Matabele 18/7/2005
"I have every confidence in SOME aspects of the management

But there are some areas where it seems our management has their hands tied and they are unable to bring about the change that everyone can see is needed if we're to be a powerhouse again"

Corso_Pete's Comment
What a difference a couple of weeks and tea & biscuits in the boardroom makes to an opinion.

Matabele 2/8/2005
I think it’s time that ALL Manly fans show some faith in their Executive and give them the time, space and opportunity to do the things that are hard necessities if we are to again taste the fruits of Premiership success.

Matabele 18/7/2005 in relation to management

"I too hope that we turn things around tomorrow. But to pretend that all is rosey and on track is to put one's head in the sand."

Please do not take this as a personal attack Matabele but I find your comments in the past 2 weeks somewhat at odds with your previous comments on the topic of management. in this topic. I have copied your responses from the post relating to Haigs article on AE 1st annniversary, currently on page 11 of topics should you wish to check. Without wanting to be to cynical (well actually I am) could your now glowing praise of management have anything to do with a potential business arrangement which would be of benefit to you?

Our debate ended with me offering to cross to the dark side, it now appears you are at least in some sort of tacit agreement with my defence of that thread that our management are doing OK.

In closing, if your Business arrangements with the club assist in the growth, expansion and success of this club you have nothing but my full support. I want nothing more than for my club to succeed, and if you can contribute to that success well done.

The Silvertails' View

Pete, I do believe that the second point you have posted was in reference to the intervention of Delmege. Therefore it is entirely consistent with today's article.

On the first point, it is still to early to say whether the senior management have their hands are tied or not, though we will find out within the next month or so.

Finally, it appears as though you may have made an an assumption that I stand to benefit from yesterday's meeting with the club.

At this stage that is incorrect. However, as we didn't get to have that promised beer at Brookvale at Sunday, you wouldn't know me well enough that personal material gain is probably the lowest priority I have in life.

If anything comes of yesterday's discussion my hope is that the benefit will fall to the club and to others, not to me.

The Silvertails' View

Finally, it appears as though you may have made an an assumption that I stand to benefit from yesterday's meeting with the club.

At this stage that is incorrect.

If anything comes of yesterday's discussion my hope is that the benefit will fall to the club and to others, not to me.

Firstly I have no problem with you or anyone else gaining benefit from the football club if you enter into some mutually beneficial arrangement, as a club supporter if it is for the benefit of the club & our team I simply would say bring it on.

I note that you say "at this stage that is incorrect". The inference there is that that situation is currently fluid and may change at any day and therein lies the point of my argument.

You have, at times been unmerciful in your critiques of management and you have failed to back those claims with any form of real evidence, essentially it was just your opinion.

Yet following what was, based on your description a convivial meeting between yourself & Pat Wilson you write a glowing article on the performance of our management and I quote " Consider this. The current management took over a club that was on the precipe of disaster. Less than two years later we have at least five marque players on our books and a shot at a place in the Final Eight. Examine that process and you will find that this has mostly arisen from the foresight, hard work and diligence of the current management and coaching staff.

Yes, I know I am cynical, but the timing of your glowing report of management, which as you know I support (although I would like to see a stronger influence from the CEO in relation to the number of persons giving the media fodder to feed of) is in the light of your potential dealings with the club somewhat contemptuous.

The Silvertails' View

Pete, I dont remember Matabele being constantly critical of management, he has been a long time supporter of Paul Cummings and the admin staff. His grapes lay elsewhere souring

The Silvertails' View

That is correct Dan. I think Pete would be VERY hard pressed to find a direct criticism of Cummings that could be attributed to me and I also welcomed the appointment of Wilson when it was made. He has an impressive Union pedigree and, in the first instance, I am a Rugger Bugger too.

I left "at this stage" in there as a bait, which is mischevious of me, I know. Let's put this on record - I have no current intention of benefiting from any arrangement with the club, nor do I intend to ask for any benefit. I'm also not angling for a personal benefit.

If any benefit does accrue it will be purely incidental and won't be asked for from my side, it will be offered and therefore up to me as to whether I accept or not.

You would be aware that I have virtually led a crusade on some issues for a good 18 months. At times I've worn flak for that.

However, what I've done is to come up with solutions. Not ones to trumpet in the dead air of a web-site forum, but ones put directly to the club for their consideration.

After that, it's up to them. Should they choose to run with them, well and good. If not, I have enough faith in senior management to assume they have better options - and I will pull my head in on the issue.

You might want to cut and paste that for posterity.

The Silvertails' View

I agree that I cannot recall DIRECT crtitiscm of management, if I did I would have certainly used it as part of my arguement.

But I have provided evidence of managment being critiscised. You have correctly, not identified any particular person(s) but to the casual reader here your comments in relation to management are at best misleading or at worst untrue. Whilst most here are aware of your intended target you conceal that target within the general heading of management. I notice now that you use then generic heading of "senior management" when using praise to partially clarify your position in relation to management.

Congratulations on your efforts on providing potential improvements to the club and if financial benefits ensue from that I say bravo to you. Nothing wrong with conducting business.

That's it from me on this subject. I am sure I will bump horns with you again on other issues, in the meantime.............GO MANLY!!!!!!!

The Silvertails' View

Pete, I understand that you have no reason to trust me at my word.

So all I can say is, let the proof be in the pudding - one way or the other.

The Silvertails' View

Well argued boys. Coherent, playing the issue and not the man and each fighting bravely against untruth, misjustice and the anti-sea eagle way. A good read to get both points of view without it deteriorating into a bunfight.
:clap:

The Silvertails' View

Also, I think you may find I've used the words "admin" and "senior management", with admin being the one in the firing line.

In the end, it is management's call as to who is in admin, so indirectly, you have a point. Though my caveat has always been I "suspect" that hands have been tied.

I "suspect" because I cannot provide proof, on the hands tied issue anyway. (As opposed to the proof I can show you in hard copy regarding Monaghan not being wanted).

I suspect because management's performance with this particular area stands as a large juxtaposition to their usual level of pro-activeness and excellence.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4