The Snake

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

simon_eagle

Reserve Grader
According to the Manly website, Brett is out indefinitely with this knee complaint.
With the drama surrounding the ongoing police investigation, it wouldn't surprise me if Brett has been asked to look overseas instead of seeing out the final year of his contract.

Do you think The Snake has played his last game for the maroon and white?

Happier times :)

If he has been watching Tom at full back then he will know that he is no longer top of the tree. Hard for him, does he come back and risk having a poor game and maybe costing us a victory? Or ride off into the sunset a legend.

The surgery went perfectly well, maybe the Snake has realised his desire has also been under an injury cloud....& his return will not improve the team as it has for the past decade....
The bloke was a freak & the most influential player in the Golden period & I prefer to remember him that way....to come back busted physically & mentally is a sad day, not a glad way to remember a champion.
The best coaches claim off field pressures, effect on field performance.
This also has been integral in Snakes demise...nothing can take away the memories & when people rightly point out BK as the key turning point for Manly mid 90's, you can stick this bloke up on the pedestal right beside him.

You all do realise that he was part of the clique that ousted Tooves? And look how negatively you talk about Watmough and Foran. Why the hero worship for Stewart? If he was moved on earlier we would have been in real contention for the finals. It is no secret that since the remnants of the cancerous clique (Matai and Stewart) were lanced, the club has been a happier place and results have followed.

You all do realise that he was part of the clique that ousted Tooves? And look how negatively you talk about Watmough and Foran. Why the hero worship for Stewart? If he was moved on earlier we would have been in real contention for the finals. It is no secret that since the remnants of the cancerous clique (Matai and Stewart) were lanced, the club has been a happier place and results have followed.
Where has Snake ever said anything bad about Tooves? Foran screwed us over and Watmough has publicly badmouthed the club but from what I see Snake has done nothing wrong so far. He's a legend that's been out of form and that's it. Him and Gifty have had the worst of the club's management yet they have never talked crap about the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles or our coaches.

Brett may well have been shot all year. Be interesting if he does recover well and starts playing good footy. I could find a spot on the wing for him over Wright.

Where has Snake ever said anything bad about Tooves? Foran screwed us over and Watmough has publicly badmouthed the club but from what I see Snake has done nothing wrong so far. He's a legend that's been out of form and that's it. Him and Gifty have had the worst of the club's management yet they have never talked crap about the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles or our coaches.

Tooves was only fired due to the Gang of 4's agitation after Gifty wasn't renewed. The poor on field efforts by both Snake and Fiz last year ensured that 2v would be judged as a poor Coach. The alleged match fixing that has now been aired, is unfortunately hanging around their heads, whether true or not :cool:

Snake's petulance towards Chez on field was there for all to see. How many times did Snake refuse to acknowledge the kiddie's attempt to congratulate him after a try - truly deplorable behaviour by a senior player played out on TV :mad:

There was a whole year and a half of attacks via the Media on how 2v was instrumental in Gifty leaving, and how Chez is hated by everyone at Manly. :swear:

Snake had the talent, now it's waning like it does in all sportsmen and Turbo has commenced his legendary career as as the next Manly fullback :clap:

Snake's legacy is hopefully being managed by his Manager now, as the 2016 form is not how he should be remembered @:cool:

I think you will find the only player Brett had a whine about was the treatment of brother Glen....Foran flew the coup solo & had signed well before it was announced.
It's true the usual evil of money played its part & plenty of comparisons of who deserves what effected the side, particularly the seasoned players....most would be pi##ed off about this same situation in their work place & also be defensive of their brother.
Brett Stewart 100% rejected better offers to stay at Manly before these other issues came out, he stuck solid & played some top footy up till 2016.

I agree mate but sometimes not intervening can help the perception of condoning

All four of the players in question bled for manly and helped us to become the most successful club that others aspired towards being

That is fact

Choc and foz spoke public and behaved in a way that did not support or enhance the passionate culture they helped build (Fact)even though at the time they thought they were

They departed - Snake sooked ( fact)and it showed in his enjoyment & effort and form

Not sure about skivvy other than I reckon I have never ever seen him not compete harder than any one else

Spate a thought for killer who was the real champion in the whole shambles whose loyalty had to support tooves DCE who were the real victims and almost had their careers demolished and the players he had bonded with and achieved so much

With the board & mansgment a mess and playing agendas we had no one to fall back on to steer and lead us despite tooves doing what he always did and taking everything head on

My owns manta to keep me in the game for years to come Is

One era is finished and I will remember it with pride rather than comparison with what I wanted to happen and celebrate that the new future is coming through the likes of ferris and the two brothers

The other part of the manta is
Never have a single shot when you can have a double

The difference for me in the two great players, Stewart and Matai, is that Steve always gave 100% for the team. Over the past two seasons I've had the impression that this was not always the case for Brett. I've felt in matches over these two seasons that Brett should have shown leadership. He was our most senior, and most influential, player - yet it didn't show to me. Since his 'injury' the team has played with much more spirit. That is very telling. It's a shame that the aura of our greatest ever fullback has recently dimmed in my eyes.

I tend to think Skivy has been unfairly made out to be one of the senior clique that white anted Tooves. Its like he's considered guilty more by association than anything else because he's a senior player and they were generally all mates.

Unlike Choc and his mouth, Foran with his mouth and sooky la-la form, and Snake with his seemingly downcast demeanor since Gift left, I can't recall Skivy ever once giving less than 100%. Sure his form last year was down on what it was in 2014, but he was hardly alone there as most of the team was down on form last year.

That video is missing his match winning catch in the 2006 Game against the Tigers at Brookie, but a great watch nonetheless.

Stewart was a hero of the 2005-2014 period, but his heart isn't with the team anymore. I don't begrudge him that, most of his mates are gone. I just don't want him turning out any more insipid performances in first grade. Let him finish his career in the super league with Glenn.

Serious question time.

If Snake is passed fit later this season, should he come straight back in as the fullback with Tommy moving to either the wing or centres? Keeping in mind the stark contrast in their respective form when playing fullback and the impact that their form has on the rest of the team.

As much as Snake is one of my all-time Manly favourites....I have to say I'd be in favour of keeping Tom at fullback and Snake not actually playing, especially if we happen to get ourselves into a position where we can sneak into the top 8.

Its sad to say but IMO we look better with Snake not actually in this team.

Snake won't be back in 2016, and no doubt if some deal can be reached ( I imagine we'd have to be paying some of the contract) with Le Catalans he will sign over there and move post seasons end.

Which probably means no farewells or last games.

If however he digs his heels in then he will be back in 2017, either playing or taking up massive cap space in the Reggies.

Perhaps him and Robbie can compare notes and strategies.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4