The squad

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
cherry and foz are the keys to our squad moving forward wether they stay or go. They are in demand and so they should be, but no way should we throw the house at them. They are a great halves pairing but they are a pairing. Its like trying to sell your house, convince your neigbour to sell at the same time and you could probably expect more , but how good are they alone.While they are important they have to be balanced with the cap. I just cant imagine we could spend more than about 800 k on each and still field a competitive side.especially while you have brett and jamie on big coin in the backs.

To be honest i dont even think they are 1 million players without the quality they have outside at there disposal. In the scheme of things do brett and jamie almost have as many try assists as the halves. And what about skivvy, a lot of work is currently done by other players atm. Do they actually deserve all the credit they get currently

Once jamie and brett are gone will they be as good with a baclkline full of matt utais and colin bests. We we even be able to retain the guthos, and turbos.

Keiran is gutsy, competitive, fealess and is developing, but a little one dimensional, doesnt kick that well. He has had considerable first grade and while still young isnt going to turn into a thurston . If he was we would have seen more of it by now.he is a great spirited player, and deserves a pay day but 1 million plus is unrealistic with this cap.He just doesnt own games consistently

Cherry probably has more potential, kicks well and looks like he may become a real game breaker . If i had to pick one id go for cherry as he will win games with class where foz wins them with passion and heart.i would pay more for cherry but i dont think we can afford to have both chewing up the cap. With origin and kiwi duties, injuries its too big a risk.

The dogs have shown how you can get there without gun halves but reliable steady halves.sometimes you have to take the emotion out of things and think long term. I would love them both at manly but i dont see why we would pay massive overs unless its about emotion

Not sure if theses rule changes about the wrestle will help there cause much either. All of a sudden robbie farrah becomes the playmaker again. Tooves would know a bit about that from history

I'm currently in the " not too concerned if Foran goes, as long as we can keep Cherry" camp.

Elsewhere today there's a thread that suggests that Reynolds is on $500k a year, and if so that seems a bit low for a Premiership winning half but 1.3 Million for DCE, wow that's just way over the top

Hehe typical Wolfy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 44
was thinking the same, they have been very lucky to have such a great team around them. I feel that any decent half or 5/8 would have shined and looked good if it was them with our team after the 40-0 grandfinal

Hehe typical Wolfy
Tis good to see. But I wonder what his place is in 2015 with Manly. If he regains form from 2013 (top try scorer) it'd be awesome.

I can't help feeling that 2v will go with taufua and hiku. It was like hiku only re-signed with us as long as he got a first grade spot last year....he seemed to jump right into the starting 13. Certainly earned his spot though. So....what to do with the wolf....and probably blair as well.

dunno

Tis good to see. But I wonder what his place is in 2015 with Manly. If he regains form from 2013 (top try scorer) it'd be awesome.

I can't help feeling that 2v will go with taufua and hiku. It was like hiku only re-signed with us as long as he got a first grade spot last year....he seemed to jump right into the starting 13. Certainly earned his spot though. So....what to do with the wolf....and probably blair as well.

dunno
Injury back up I reckon.

I only watched the highlights/lowlights of the Manly Nines' matches and it seemed that Tom Turbojet played well. I have been a big supporter of him since watching him in the Under 20's last season, and I think he has the build (and obvious ability) to break into first grade this season as a winger. Being able to diffuse bombs and catch attacking kicks on the fly is a huge part of a winger's duties these days, and is a skill that Jorge didn't show last season. I see him as the eventually successor to Brett as fullback, but my tip is that mid-season Turbojet will be in our top 13. I'm not denigrating our other wingers, or Gutherson, who are all good. I just think that Turboject is 'special', just like Snake was at 18, and will get his chance sooner rather than later.

I dunno. Watching a will he / won't he pair in those two just sucks all the fun out of the game for mine.

I have a season ticket, but will probably just watch the wins on replay if it all continues.

People like what they like, and I preferred it when we had unknown players willing to die to throw on the jersey and get in the trenches with each other.

People can tell me how wonderful Foran and DCE are, but they've won 2 of the last 10 odd games they played as a pair, albeit 9's, finals and season proper games.

Frankly, they have been summarily worked out by the opposition. If their heads were in the right place, rather than sucking the fun out of the games for fans, maybe they'd win a few games again.

I only watched the highlights/lowlights of the Manly Nines' matches and it seemed that Tom Turbojet played well. I have been a big supporter of him since watching him in the Under 20's last season, and I think he has the build (and obvious ability) to break into first grade this season as a winger. Being able to diffuse bombs and catch attacking kicks on the fly is a huge part of a winger's duties these days, and is a skill that Jorge didn't show last season. I see him as the eventually successor to Brett as fullback, but my tip is that mid-season Turbojet will be in our top 13. I'm not denigrating our other wingers, or Gutherson, who are all good. I just think that Turboject is 'special', just like Snake was at 18, and will get his chance sooner rather than later.

There is a lot more work required in defence. Guthbo looked the best of the new guys

There is a lot more work required in defence. Guthbo looked the best of the new guys
Yep Toovey needs to show the young fellas how to stick with their tackles and use shoulders not just arms.

I dunno. Watching a will he / won't he pair in those two just sucks all the fun out of the game for mine.

I have a season ticket, but will probably just watch the wins on replay if it all continues.

People like what they like, and I preferred it when we had unknown players willing to die to throw on the jersey and get in the trenches with each other.

People can tell me how wonderful Foran and DCE are, but they've won 2 of the last 10 odd games they played as a pair, albeit 9's, finals and season proper games.

Frankly, they have been summarily worked out by the opposition. If their heads were in the right place, rather than sucking the fun out of the games for fans, maybe they'd win a few games again.

Pretty much nailed it for me as well Ryan.

Bob Dylan and I " talk " a bit on Twitter, you'll notice he's not on here any more, and for exactly the same reason.

The end of last year started the rot, the off season continues the rot and if our players look lack lustre and uninterested in the first part of the year then I might consider a " holiday" as well.

Pretty much nailed it for me as well Ryan.

Bob Dylan and I " talk " a bit on Twitter, you'll notice he's not on here any more, and for exactly the same reason.

The end of last year started the rot, the off season continues the rot and if our players look lack lustre and uninterested in the first part of the year then I might consider a " holiday" as well.
C'mon Mark. Let's be honest. Fans on this Forum bleed maroon. It wouldn't matter who was playing for us we'd support them. I recall threatening to stop membership back when Bozo left. Then it was when Vautin was punted....

Let's not forget who's driving all this hoohaa. It's the media. They don't need any evidence for what they write, just quote a "source close to the club" and publish any dribble they like. I wouldn't be hating on the players or the club because of what is written in the paper. Hate on them for what you see them actually do, or hear them actually say. Don't underestimate the role of the player managers in all this either, they have a vested interest.

DCE and Foz are entitled to negotiate their contracts like any other player, it's not their fault that they are viewed as newsworthy. Do you think the other players that you don't read about in the papers don't go through a negotiation process or consider other offers ?? Of course they do, just that no one really cares. It'd be nice if they just took the first offer Manly threw their way, but that was never going to happen. And yes it'd be nice if they made their mind up sooner rather than later.

I just don't think we can afford to keep both at the over inflated prices being thrown around. Even at 1.2 when you get 6.8 for 25 players you just can have 2.4 invested in 2 players. 4.2 mill for 23 guys? Lets wish Foz well and welcome Aiden Sezer on board next year. What you loose on the turn, we make up on the straight.

I just don't think we can afford to keep both at the over inflated prices being thrown around. Even at 1.2 when you get 6.8 for 25 players you just can have 2.4 invested in 2 players. 4.2 mill for 23 guys? Lets wish Foz well and welcome Aiden Sezer on board next year. What you loose on the turn, we make up on the straight.
I think if the club is smart they can afford to keep both even if they pay them $1.2mil each.
If you take out the halves, there's probably only Lyon, Snake & Matai on more than $400k. And these 3 guys only have another 2 or 3 years left. Realistically, out of the rest of the squad, I can only see Hiku and possibly Buhrer being on this kind on money in 2017, unless we buy an experienced origin/test player from another club.
At the moment, most of our squad would be on less than $250k - Hiku, Lawrence, Starling, Mason, JSL, Hasson, Lui, Burgess, Vave, Chee Kam, Satini, Littlejohn, Gutherson.
If a club doesn't have half a dozen players on $400-500 (like we have the past 5 or 6 years) then 2 guys taking up $2.4mil isn't too bad, taking into account the salary cap is going up every year.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6