The T - Rex Factor off the bench

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

MK Eagle

Bencher
The big guy has copped plenty & at times rightly so but.....there are a few things he adds that have been missing. He does take stopping even when he waddles up to the defence & after most of his hit ups the defensive line is often still retreating for our next attacking play. He also has an offload & imo has been 1 of the more direct runners which in recent games has been lacking. Imo T-Rex is what we lack off the bench because he is a genuine impact player & is coming back at a good time to hit top form come the finals. .

Hope he does add that.Our bench has looked a bit stale in past weeks.

Funnily enough I think we are really missing the wolf/robbo combination.Wolf for his returns and aggressive finishing and Robbo his positional play in defence and fielding of attacking and defensive bombs.

Hoppa is much better at 1 or 4 and Oldfield is still learning his positional play.

Need to score some points on Sunday.We will win but a comfortable attacking win is something we need for confidence.

susan said:

Funnily enough I think we are really missing the wolf/robbo combination.Wolf for his returns and aggressive finishing and Robbo his positional play in defence and fielding of attacking and defensive bombs.

Hoppa is much better at 1 or 4 and Oldfield is still learning his positional play.

Need to score some points on Sunday.We will win but a comfortable attacking win is something we need for confidence.

Makes it tough Susan - Hoppa definately quality & shows glimpses of a young version combining Falau/Inglis making him a worthy centre but the thing is he does a load of work from the wing & averages over 200 metres a game from the wing & has a quick play the ball usually winning the battle getting us into good field position by tackle 2-3. Happy enough with him wide due to Matai & Lyon world class centres. Same applies with fullback - call me 1 eyed but I would take Snake over any fullback in the world. Valid point tho mate because The proven Wolf/Robbo is a proven winner & is definately top shelf.

i think we would have cracked the saints more with T rex there, even if he doesnt score himself he takes some stopping and therefore inscreases the gaps elsewhere. Dont know that we would have won it but cant imagine they would have made the 5 sets in a row

I'm looking forward to seeing the big guy come off the bench. We don't seem to be going forward as much as I would like with pussy runs from Kite and Princess.

DSM5 said:
I'm looking forward to seeing the big guy come off the bench. We don't seem to be going forward as much as I would like with pussy runs from Kite and Princess.

Pussy runs from Kite and King?
I don't think so.

We are second for a reason, and that INCLUDES the forwards. We have lacked that extra X-factor and go forward T-Rex provides. Galuvao is playing injured, and Rodney is getting his fitness back.

We also have been missing the early go forward from kick returns wolfman and Robertson provide. That somewhat helps the forwards in the preceeding plays.

In my opinion, Hopoate has been nothing short of lethargic since his return, and Robbo / Wolf > Oldfield any day of the week.

Really looking forward to T-Rex coming back into the side and I hope he signs a new contract soon.

DSM5 said:

I agree. King and Kite never seem to consistently get over the 100 metre mark. If you have statistics that disprove this, please publish them. They both need to step up if we are to challenge. The fact that Galloway made 190 metres is embarrassing. When was the last time a prop at Manly made 150?

Ryan said:
DSM5 said:

Pussy runs from Kite and King?
I don't think so.

We are second for a reason, and that INCLUDES the forwards. We have lacked that extra X-factor and go forward T-Rex provides. Galuvao is playing injured, and Rodney is getting his fitness back.

We also have been missing the early go forward from kick returns wolfman and Robertson provide. That somewhat helps the forwards in the preceeding plays.

In my opinion, Hopoate has been nothing short of lethargic since his return, and Robbo / Wolf > Oldfield any day of the week.

The backrow is carrying the can for the front row, that's why

susan said:

Agree with all of that - Hoppa is a great fullback and a very good centre player but just a handy winger. Our best wing combo is definitely Robbo/Williams.

T Rex has been our most over sledged player for so long now I just hope he come back fit for the semi's and we can see what this bloke can provide us in future as a FORWARD. I think we can all see we have missed him last few weeks.

T-Rex wasn't over sledged. He was sledged because he was massively under performing out on the wing for whatever reason. Now he's playing good footy there is no reason to sledge him.

Hoppa has been slow since coming back from injury, as expected. However don't know why people think that Williams will come back from his hammy strain & hit top form again straight away.

IMO assuming Hoppa stays healthy for the rest of the year he should keep his spot in the team.

Hoppa at his best > Williams at his best.

As for T-Rex, he's a beast. He could be on one leg & still give us more punch than guys who try their heart out on every hitup.

I disagree. Hoppa has been poor in defense, attack and all round energy of late. As soon as Wolfman is available, I'd replace Hopoate asap.

Wolfman exudes compete. He is up tempo. He has pace and passion about everything he does.

Hopoate has been getting a case of the T-Rex's (when T-Rex was on the wing), moping around, with lumbering runs not really adding much value - and that includes sloppily falling off tackles.

He's obviously still injured (I know he wouldn't be lazy) - he's just much better than his last few games.

I think T Rex will start this sunday.

Brett Stewart
Michael Oldfield
Jamie Lyon (c)
Steve Matai
Will Hopoate
Kieran Foran
Daly Cherry-Evans
Jason King (c)
Matt Ballin
Brent Kite
Anthony Watmough
Tony Williams
Glenn Stewart

Joe Galuvao
Jamie Buhrer
Shane Rodney
George Rose

I think thats how Des will play it. I think big Joe will be in the prop rotation with T Rex starting in the 2nd row.. we look much better when big Joe is in the prop rotation. No disrespect to Robinson or Mauro but they arent good enough.

If T Rex is not fit yet.. i think Rodney will start with T Rex off the bench..

Mauro is a backrower at any rate

Joe is one of the few who can be used within the backrow or front row and have it not matter

Robinson just needs time and probably 5kg to his frame of muscle

Im dying to see Cunningham but am convinced we wont till next year....

Harrison isnt a terrible forward,i think he can cover both like Joe

I want to see alot more of Lussick,that kid has been unbelievable in his first few runs

Rose will go from strength to strength after this game,mark my words

Kite is really annoying me,he thinks his a halfback and keeps backing in very slowly....

King....he is having a season where he is either on or rubbish,theres no middle ground

Cross can do whatever he likes,including dancing in traffic,we dont need fossils like that one,as much as i despise his brother,his brother ****s all over this bloke

Buhrer...what to say about this kid,im still not convinced he is a front or back rower,i think he will be a hooker or centre eventually,but i dont think he will be a REAL forward (Hooker is hardly a forward,its a mix between back and half) anytime soon,i could be wrong but he seems much to small,i do however like him alot and hope he figures into our future,perhaps he is the Utility that we need

Tony could be whatever the hell he wants to be,i see him as a prop in the mold of Ryan James if he would fix his god damned timing issues,he has to start his run to ON THE BURST a tad later,he gets caught flat footed because he runs to early,he could leave many a great forward in his wake and take the "top of the pack" mantle,in the games history and future,this is why this bloke ****s all of us to tears.....that said he always sends one player to the ground with his palm with is about the size of most of the hamstrings of us fans....this guy ****s me....alot..he must not be lost to our jersey....he is the player we need,when he is ready to be all he can be

I think i covered all our forwards

The Eagle said:
Mauro is a backrower at any rate

Joe is one of the few who can be used within the backrow or front row and have it not matter

Robinson just needs time and probably 5kg to his frame of muscle

Im dying to see Cunningham but am convinced we wont till next year....

Harrison isnt a terrible forward,i think he can cover both like Joe

I want to see alot more of Lussick,that kid has been unbelievable in his first few runs

Rose will go from strength to strength after this game,mark my words

Kite is really annoying me,he thinks his a halfback and keeps backing in very slowly....

King....he is having a season where he is either on or rubbish,theres no middle ground

Cross can do whatever he likes,including dancing in traffic,we dont need fossils like that one,as much as i despise his brother,his brother ****s all over this bloke

Buhrer...what to say about this kid,im still not convinced he is a front or back rower,i think he will be a hooker or centre eventually,but i dont think he will be a REAL forward (Hooker is hardly a forward,its a mix between back and half) anytime soon,i could be wrong but he seems much to small,i do however like him alot and hope he figures into our future,perhaps he is the Utility that we need

Tony could be whatever the hell he wants to be,i see him as a prop in the mold of Ryan James if he would fix his god damned timing issues,he has to start his run to ON THE BURST a tad later,he gets caught flat footed because he runs to early,he could leave many a great forward in his wake and take the "top of the pack" mantle,in the games history and future,this is why this bloke ****s all of us to tears.....that said he always sends one player to the ground with his palm with is about the size of most of the hamstrings of us fans....this guy ****s me....alot..he must not be lost to our jersey....he is the player we need,when he is ready to be all he can be

I think i covered all our forwards

A pretty fair summary. My only points are these:

Kite doesnt think he is a half. Something is not quite right in his mentality to his footy and hasnt been really since his dad died. get it right & i have no doubt he would repeat his 08 GF performance if his head allows him too.

Buhrer wont be a front rower or a centre and he is going to need massive speed improvement if hooker is the goal.

I think your wrong about TWilliams. He needs to stay where he is in the 2row, off the bench for now. His development is gradual and his direction cant be altered/confused. One thing at a time with Tony and he will either progress or fail in his current playing pathway.

Kite is always looking for a passing option,sure he hasnt kicked yet but you get my point

Buhrer is actually rather quick,i really rate him but i dont think he is a REAL forward due to lack of size/height

Tony could be what Ryan James is becoming,he could **** all over Burgess but goddammit he has the slowest development of any player ive seen consistantly make a 1st grade squad of 17,he has to be kept because if he realises his potential elsewhere that would bloody do me.....it would be our worst loss since....since umm.....Ben Kennedy (To retirement....i cant think of a loss worse than his at this point in time,however i will wake up at some stage during the night and scream someones name....)

The Eagle said:
Kite is always looking for a passing option,sure he hasnt kicked yet but you get my point

I do. Im still convinced its in his head and its been there from the point in time i mentioned. From what ive gathered he stretched past it a few times but his desire hasnt risen consistently beyond it.

The Eagle said:
Buhrer is actually rather quick,i really rate him but i dont think he is a REAL forward due to lack of size/height
Size factor into account he has proven he can perform 2row. In the backs is just a whole new ball game at this level for him and where on earth could we implement him ?

The Eagle said:
Tony could be what Ryan James is becoming,he could s**t all over Burgess but goddammit he has the slowest development of any player ive seen consistantly make a 1st grade squad of 17,he has to be kept because if he realises his potential elsewhere that would bloody do me.....it would be our worst loss since....since umm.....Ben Kennedy (To retirement....i cant think of a loss worse than his at this point in time,however i will wake up at some stage during the night and scream someones name....)

Yep, ive got past wives that have forgiven me before T-Rex has developed. Like everyone else im on the fence and the splinters deserve plucking but the one thing in his development through Des is he only showed him the gate after being extensively prepared. I do believe he should stay on the bench and be used in that 2row impact role akin to Bryants late charge in the 08 GF. Bust em up when they are weak. Success there will surely mean he advances where you think he will go.

I think Buhrer could fill the Menzies Inside Centre roll,it is his calling,im hoping left due to it being Foran's side who can hit anyone outside him in the blink of an eye,also the right side attack is a tad...cramped at times due to having Gift in the 5/8thish role on that side

I still think Tony could make huge impact in the FRF roll,off the bench certainly,he has the size and uncanny speed for such a vessel,he is a complete monster and could get a strike against most forward packs (Think of them as pins)

If he stays in the backrow i guess he could be the Coaltrain.......but i hope for more from Tony,he could mix it up in the middle correctly timed,its all timing issues since he moved infield

If you watch closely he stops as he gets to Ballin in most instances or is hit flat footed by Foran/DCE,when he gets it right from Ballin or as an option runner off Foran/DCE he sends people flying,the way i like to remember him is running into a bunch of blokes and seeing bodies fly everywhere,also lining up Finch in defense and running over a flat footed Slater,if i remember him that way,he gets a big fat 17 on his back,also he has limited utility value.....when **** hits the fan he can be pushed out further but hopefully comes in tighter during the defensive sets (IE in the pack shifting someone who is better at 1on1 than him out there)

KaZa said:
I think T Rex will start this sunday.

Brett Stewart
Michael Oldfield
Jamie Lyon (c)
Steve Matai
Will Hopoate
Kieran Foran
Daly Cherry-Evans
Jason King (c)
Matt Ballin
Brent Kite
Anthony Watmough
Tony Williams
Glenn Stewart

Joe Galuvao
Jamie Buhrer
Shane Rodney
George Rose

I think thats how Des will play it. I think big Joe will be in the prop rotation with T Rex starting in the 2nd row.. we look much better when big Joe is in the prop rotation. No disrespect to Robinson or Mauro but they arent good enough.

If T Rex is not fit yet.. i think Rodney will start with T Rex off the bench..

I liked this post but then i unliked it. We definately look better with Galavao in the front row rotation but I don't think T-Rex should start. He loses all of that so called 'x' factor. Bring him on late to smash up an already retreating pack. I just don't think he's the one who can make them retreat.

We've really missed T Rex the last month. He had a stormer out wide today. Admittedly the chooks were poor in defense but T Rex adds another dimension to our attack that is going to be huge for us. Fingers crossed no more injurys and he has a good run into the finals because he is our X factor off the bench and i am really excited to see him back and steamrolling players.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7