There needs to be an investigation....

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
... into the lack of performance of our NSW Cup team. I watched all but the first 20 minutes and they were pitiful. We had a team full of proven first graders (Wolfman, Blair, Symonds, Harrison) and 'talent' (Gutherson, Turbojet, Chee Cam etc.) and yet they conceded six tries in the first half!
We fans are proud of Manly's "culture"; well this team has a culture of failure. It is simply unacceptable that these players - many of whom are talked about as future "champions" - do not do justice to the jersey they wear.
I don't extend my criticism to T-Red who played well and seemed to try his hardest. I heard Wolfman trying to encourage the team, but as one of my favourite players it seems his time in first grade has passed. I don't think he has the speed to make an impact these days.
Everyone is blaming the coach for the pathetic performances of the NSW Cup team over several years, and his record must be the worst on record.
Something is very wrong with this team. It is not worth turning up early to watch them.
PS: Big George Rose played for Cronulla. It was weird seeing him in those colours, but he and his fellow Cronulla forwards totally out-muscled our blokes.

At what point do we stop blaming the coach and have a look at the players?

Whilst I am not saying Willow is without blame it is like the sharks blaming everything on sharp etc.

I was saying the exact same thing to a few people yesterday, they are a terrible footy team. There are glimpses of talent, but their game plan is nothing like the NRL side and they seem to be a bunch of plodders.

The sharks NSW cup team has the benefit of twice as many top 25 players compared to the rest, at full strength they can have 16 players in the top 25 salary cap.

That said there is a disconnect somewhere, these players go ok when in NRL so why so poor in NSW cup?

There are no excuses for that pathetic effort. The buck stops with the coach. The players need a rocket that performance was dreadful!!!

From comments on this thread and elsewhere on this forum...it's like Manly hierarchy just don't care. It'd be interesting to see willow's win loss record but year after year he just turns on up, coaches us to another wooden spoon....goes off home again.

I'd like to know why as well.

*some of my facts are made up....dunno if we get the wooden spoon year after year.

Praps all or most of the team are 'disgruntled' because they cannot break into the 1st grade side. Most of them realize they never will. So Perhaps its a morale problem ?

EagleFromMay1967 said:
Praps all or most of the team are 'disgruntled' because they cannot break into the 1st grade side. Most of them realize they never will. So Perhaps its a morale problem ?

Best way to break into first grade is to play better than a second-grader. Most of the team plays like a third grader, unfortunately. The talent is obviously there, but the desire to tackle isn't. Any time an opposition team has a full set of six invariably it leads to a try.
I'm yet to be convinced that Clinton Gutherson is something special, as he's been touted. To me he is just an average second grader. I know he is young, and he's a local so I'd love him to be good, but I've not seen him do anything special yet. I hope I'm wrong, but apart from being 'willing' I don't see the attributes that will set the RL world on fire.

At least the NYC get to play at the same venue as their NRL mates.
Until NSW Cup reverts to a true reserve grade, it is hard to see a change in morale :cool:
Playing at some local park, in front of your family and friends would not be motivation for going all out and risk injury.

Our Players are totally invisible, nothing on the MWSE site about them.
I find it dismissive and it would hardly make the Player feel a part of the Sea Eagle Club.

Wonder if they get included in promotional events at all :dodgy:

Since manly have returned to nsw cup it seems we've never taken it seriously, we have a great team this year and should be competing hard ! Maybe the issue is that we have many regular 1st graders in the team that they just can't get up for such a match as naw cup ? Iosefa, luaki, symonds, Harrison, hodges, Williams, Blair all have played 1st grade. And there's more !

Thought T-red showed his class and tried to inspire those around him. Problem was that he, Blair and wolfy were on the right side. The left side defence was woeful (4 tries) and they must have been given a blast at halftime because their efforts in the 2nd half were better.........but that might have been similar to 1st grade where 1 side puts the cue in the rack early.

HappilyManly said:
At least the NYC get to play at the same venue as their NRL mates.
Until NSW Cup reverts to a true reserve grade, it is hard to see a change in morale :cool:
Playing at some local park, in front of your family and friends would not be motivation for going all out and risk injury.

Our Players are totally invisible, nothing on the MWSE site about them.
I find it dismissive and it would hardly make the Player feel a part of the Sea Eagle Club.

Wonder if they get included in promotional events at all :dodgy:

I wonder if they get paid a bonus for winning? If not, Id suggest the club considers it. What I can't understand is that our first grade side is so good, dedicated and focused yet our reserves - who should buy into this winning culture and train as a squad - totally disappoint. Other clubs compete at NSW level, why not us?

smcgarrigle said:
Thought T-red showed his class and tried to inspire those around him. Problem was that he, Blair and wolfy were on the right side. The left side defence was woeful (4 tries) and they must have been given a blast at halftime because their efforts in the 2nd half were better.........but that might have been similar to 1st grade where 1 side puts the cue in the rack early.

Agreed...T-Red did stand out and actually had a go. The #6 kept trying in attack but had no help or support around him. Gutherson will be good if given the chance to play fullback in the NRL side - he plays very much like Snake and has more speed than Hiku.

Gutherson was playing fullback - or that's the way it looked.
If the 'Elephant Man' played then I didn't notice him do anything. I was looking for a big bloke with an afro... unless he had a haircut.
Chee-Cam is another that has huge wraps placed on him but didn't seem effective.
It's very disappointing - especially if we expect these guys to be our future.

I watched them and thought T-Red, Littlejohn and Blair were probably the only players who you could say are up to NRL standard. Wolfe did a lot of yelling at the players but not much else…I don't think any of the forwards will get a call up unless we get serious injuries…they were not playing at a standard that would put pressure on others. Gutherson was OK and may grow into a stronger player but he is pretty lean and defence would be an issue….

Yes Jake T tries hard and plays long minutes but not an NRL prop at all…he is actually not that big a guy and still has a lot of maturing to do physically before he could be a first grade prop…you couldn't put him anywhere near what Starling, Lui, Hasson or JSL offer….

The highlight to me was Mark Mexico for the sharks…only a short guy but muscle upon muscle and runs straight and very hard….would have been a good signing if we got him…if the sharks get an injury in the front row he will get a call up...

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6