Thoughts about Melbourne Storm...from Twits (Storm supporter)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Twits

hi guys,

I am new to this forum and my name is Twits! I am going to come out with it straight up: I'm from Melbourne and a passionate Storm supporter. But before anyone gets antsy, I'm not here to stir sh8t or bag Manly etc.

I am disappointed we're out of the premiership race..but truth be told I reckon you guys had us well covered and maybe the Warriors saved us another embarrassment next week. I think we have 3 pure champions (although they didn;t really stand up last night) and some serviceable live wires like Kevin Proctor, but across the park we are lacking depth....I honestly reckon Manly would have been too strong and won convincingly. I think they are the best team in the NRL and will be deserving premiers.

I think the brawl at Brookvale was real shame and a blight on the game. Adam Blair quite frankly disgraced himself and the Club and really should be ashamed.. I though Darcy Lussick boasting about it being "the greatest day of my life" was also disgraceful and he should be ashamed. This is professional football, not fighting. I honestly don;t see why that kind of garbage needs to be a part of the game.

I'm proud of my team, reckon we achieved a lot this year, probably over-achieved to be honest and got further than many imagined.

I'm interested to hear what some of you Manly people think of the Storm and what they have built down there (without dwelling on the obvious negatives; I am not going to defend the salary cap cheating - it was wrong! - but don't want to see the baby thrown out with the bathwater).

Let me know your thoughts on where you see my Club at and where it's going?

(hope you don't mind but i posted this in the Intros section too - want to get some traction...and I am not trolling here!)

Melbourne - obviously a quality side. i just think inexperience in finals showed for you guys which we seem to be lucky with. "the big 3" arent superheros they still need go forward. Storm - top 4 next season surely. Which is unfortunate haha.

Napper said:
Melbourne - obviously a quality side. i just think inexperience in finals showed for you guys which we seem to be lucky with. "the big 3" arent superheros they still need go forward. Storm - top 4 next season surely. Which is unfortunate haha.

Spot on about going forward. Poor field position and the inability to make ground throughout the night was the problem. And this due to an inexperienced pack that probabyl got overawed. Obviously a very different team to the 2007 to 2009 years. I think we have done everything to keep the "Big 3" to perhaps the detriment of the remainder of the team balance, and it showed last night. Should be able to rebuild, I hope!

They are like Manly this year - both teams have over-achieved and easily beaten most pundits predictions.

Slater can look exceptional returning the ball and Smith is the best #9.

But that is about where the positives end. Your tackling techniques always push the line on what any fan wants to see and seem to me to be designed to maim. Smith is the best but because he doesn't play for us I hate the grubby stuff he does every game. You cost us a possible Premiership in 07 and 09.

I'll stop there :) Good luck next year, just don't get in our way.

Realistically, i'd say for manly broncos and melbourne 2011 was about rebuilding a premiership team. All 3 sides full of young players trying to make an impact. For all 3 sides to finish 123 is outstanding. Things are on the up for all 3 clubs for sure.

I also think Cam Smith is a grub yet the best hooker to ever play rugby league.

Lussick's comments were taken way out of context. He was talking about the match in general. It was 1 vs 2, Friday night football, and was certainly the greatest day of his short rugby league life. He was NOT referring to the brawl. Gallop also jumped the gun on that one. Wonder if he'll apologise :)

Spent to many dollars on 3 or four players and had to get players out of retirement like Norrie and Woolnough. I expected the forwards to struggle earlier than they have. Obviously having 11 out of the first 12 games at home boosted their confidence and had a great run and won the minor premiership. They started to struggle 4 or 5 weeks ago when the scored a total of about 12 points combined in the 2nd half. I think they over-achieved but surprised lots of good judges.

You may not have liked the brawl but it ended your season. It stopped your unbeaten run, showed teams that Melbourne could be intimidated, and dented your confidence. You only won one game from the last three, and that was scratchy against Newcastle.
I have posted on here earlier that I thought Storm deserved to play in the GF, but frankly I was more confident of beating Melbourne than Tigers, Brisbane, Illawarra, and even the Worriers.
Next year? I think Storm will again be in the top eight, but I expect Worriers and Brisbane to be the major threats to Manly.

Napper said:
Realistically, i'd say for manly broncos and melbourne 2011 was about rebuilding a premiership team. All 3 sides full of young players trying to make an impact. For all 3 sides to finish 123 is outstanding. Things are on the up for all 3 clubs for sure.

I also think Cam Smith is a grub yet the best hooker to ever play rugby league.

There seems to be a persistent theme that the Storm tactics are grubby. I suppose some people are still irate about the salary cap cheating (and understandably so; I would be if I supporter one of the other finalists in those years - although I don't necessarily subscribe to the theory that Manly and Parra should eb awareded the 07 and 09 trophies). I didn't grow up with rugby league (although really enjoy the game now) so don't have a great appreciation for the tackling techniques. What exactly about the tackling renders it grubby (this is a serious question)?

I doubted The Storms depth all year. But you kept on winning, which is a tribute to the players.

I have also worried about Manly's depth since round one, particularly in the halves and front row.

Just shows I am a bad judge.

I thought the Storm looked really shakey in round 21 when Parra blew that big lead. I know there was a few decent results after that, but I reckon you guys had lost that look of being really invincible from that night on.

The Battle Of Brookie was overblown by the media, Blair, Stewart and Lussick paid too heavy a price for what was a punchup.

I dont like much about the Storm (yeah success breeds a kind of hate we Manly supporters have known for 40 years now), but I do like your supporters, they stuck through the really tough times and have kept up the rage against the Goose that runs the NRL. Take a bow for that.

Good luck for 2012, just not too much.

swoop said:
Spent to many dollars on 3 or four players and had to get players out of retirement like Norrie and Woolnough. I expected the forwards to struggle earlier than they have. Obviously having 11 out of the first 12 games at home boosted their confidence and had a great run and won the minor premiership. They started to struggle 4 or 5 weeks ago when the scored a total of about 12 points combined in the 2nd half. I think they over-achieved but surprised lots of good judges.

Yeah it kinda came undone, the whole theory of topping up with retirees. Pretty brave effort to get so far with the pack they had, but in the end it wasn't to be.

Some tips for next year,

1 Pray Cronk, Slater or Smith dont sustain a long term injury

2 Await the Dogs to try and raid your coaching staff, because if they fail with Hasler, Bellamy will be next.

3 Cheer your hearts out and remain proud of your team.

Round 25 at Brookie burst the Storm bubble, cost you guys your self belief and showed other sides how to beat you. You don't have the forward quality, and I'm not sure if you've signed anyone for next year, but losing Blair will worsen the situation. Smith is easily the best 9 in the comp, and Slater on his day is electric, albeit extremely error prone. However they are not enough and I think you have lost your aura and teams will fancy their chance next year. I think the finals series proved you overachieved this year, and I don't expect you to be top 4 next year. The hunger to prove a point after the stripping of premierships and points will be harder to maintain 12 months on, so it'll be just another grinding year of football.

I really doubt you guys will be there trying to stop us going back to back next October.

The Who said:
You may not have liked the brawl but it ended your season. It stopped your unbeaten run, showed teams that Melbourne could be intimidated, and dented your confidence. You only won one game from the last three, and that was scratchy against Newcastle.
I have posted on here earlier that I thought Storm deserved to play in the GF, but frankly I was more confident of beating Melbourne than Tigers, Brisbane, Illawarra, and even the Worriers.
Next year? I think Storm will again be in the top eight, but I expect Worriers and Brisbane to be the major threats to Manly.

The brawl definitely was the watershed moment where I reallised our season was going down hill. Defintely destroyed our aura of being unbeatable..Manly destroyed us that night - even before the brawl.

My issue witht he brawl was not that it causes us to lose our mojo, more because it annoys me that such violence continues to be seen as a part of the game. the commentators even quasi-glorify it. Sh8ts me. People get king hit every week in pubs and clubs all over the country (usually about something as stupid as a split beer...or game of football) and sometimes they don't wake up after their head hits the deck....now i know it's a long bow to draw, but I reckon professional sport would be better off alienating itself from that kind of behaviour...

I didn't grow up with RL, but I really enjoy it as a sport and believe me, it doesn't need those "scraps" which are just blokes throwing haymakers and never connecting...what is the point?

bob dylan said:
I doubted The Storms depth all year. But you kept on winning, which is a tribute to the players.

I have also worried about Manly's depth since round one, particularly in the halves and front row.

Just shows I am a bad judge.

I thought the Storm looked really shakey in round 21 when Parra blew that big lead. I know there was a few decent results after that, but I reckon you guys had lost that look of being really invincible from that night on.

The Battle Of Brookie was overblown by the media, Blair, Stewart and Lussick paid too heavy a price for what was a punchup.

I dont like much about the Storm (yeah success breeds a kind of hate we Manly supporters have known for 40 years now), but I do like your supporters, they stuck through the really tough times and have kept up the rage against the Goose that runs the NRL. Take a bow for that.

Good luck for 2012, just not too much.

Cheers for that! It's nice to know there are people north who appreciate that much...the supporters really stuck by their team and are fiercely loyal...we're very proud of that!

Chip and Chase said:
Round 25 at Brookie burst the Storm bubble, cost you guys your self belief and showed other sides how to beat you. You don't have the forward quality, and I'm not sure if you've signed anyone for next year, but losing Blair will worsen the situation. Smith is easily the best 9 in the comp, and Slater on his day is electric, albeit extremely error prone. However they are not enough and I think you have lost your aura and teams will fancy their chance next year. I think the finals series proved you overachieved this year, and I don't expect you to be top 4 next year. The hunger to prove a point after the stripping of premierships and points will be harder to maintain 12 months on, so it'll be just another grinding year of football.

I really doubt you guys will be there trying to stop us going back to back next October.

Tend to agree...our forwards are just not potent enough or big enough and were found wanting this year. It might be an impossible task for us unless we let go one of the big three to get better forwards. Having said that, all have committed to being "one club players" which I respect enormously. In all truth, I would probably prefer to see those three play out their careers down here...that would say a lot for our Club! Bit like Locky at Brisbane, Hindmarch at Parramatta et al..maybe Cherry-Evans for you

Funny how the papers, NRL and TV condemned the brawl but the following week CH9 used it in it's promo for a friday night game.

I know a couple of Storm supporters really well and they really bled when the cap trouble hit the fan. I put myself in their boots for a while and didnt like it for one second.

What are your opinions of the GF, and dont worry if you think the Warriors will win go right ahead and say it, all opinions are respected here.

bob dylan said:
I know a couple of Storm supporters really well and they really bled when the cap trouble hit the fan. I put myself in their boots for a while and didnt like it for one second.

What are your opinions of the GF, and dont worry if you think the Warriors will win go right ahead and say it, all opinions are respected here.

I think Manly will win Bob. I think the Warriors played their GF on Saturday night (as had Melbourne if they were to win that match). manly put on a clinical display against the Broncos and looks look a weighted special (I backed them 2 weeks ago at $4.25 :))

Be interesting to see what tactics manly have to sop Manu Vatuvei, however. But the fast ball play and ability to spread the ball wide from foran and DCE should see them scoring enough points to win it.

What do you think? how will Manly's forward pack line up against the Warriors?

Storm supporter,

Bellamy should be sacked. He has brought the game into disrepute with the way that he has changed the game. Always dirty, always resorting to things like wrestling etc

The titles should have been stripped for blatant cheating.

All players that signed two contracts should of been sacked straight away and allowed to play for 3 years for another club on the minimum wage. Yes, that would have decimated the team, with the big 3 forced to play with other teams.

The club should not have been fined, losing all players that signed two contracts would have been harsh enough. Plus, always was silly for NRL to fine it's own business.

Melbourne need to uncover 3 props and a back rower of useful quality, the biff is all about emotion and manly melbourne games have stockpiles of that,i love it

My hatred of melbourne has nothing to do with the cap, its all about perceived dirty wrestling tactics and feet first tackling, personally I think the players are the reason for those cap dramas, if I'd made the grade 20% more for anyone but penrith or manly to hire me (penrith for the shot, manly for the love), melbourne grew those players from nobodies to household names and got caught keeping all of them

This grand final coming up will be great to win shall we do it, but it would have been so much sweeter to best seven shades of **** out of melbourne (again),i have no ill will against nz

Another obvious reason I hate melbourne was an elbow first hit by one utter grub of the game, Crocker if a filthy prick,Morley was just lazy imo

I wish melbourne just well enough to be not pittied, because we have been before,i dont want to pity an arch rival as I found out last year without the strong villain, the perceived hero is less interesting

Sort of like Carl Webb when he shaved a Q in his head,i just wanted the blues to smash the **** out of him,he was good because that hatred brought every part of me out and of me and put behind my state, melbourne is that to me, the anti hero

I liked our chances against The Storm but that wasnt to be thanks to the Warriors.

They are a dangerous side who could run in quick tries from anywhere, but it was there defence that earned them praise last weekend. But honestly I thought The Storm did not ask too many questions of them.

Manly's 3/4's will be the difference, Robbo, Lyon, Matai and Hoppa far out weigh their opponents.

Fresh legs in G Stewart and Lussick will be a massive bonus and will make our bench much stronger with Mauro and Robinson dropping off last week team.

I expect Manly to win but we wont be able to rest easy until the full time whistle. If we get a start like we did against the Bronco's it will be too uch for the Warriors, but if they can score first it will be a massive boost to them.

Many of us have backed Manly at big odds, as much as $24 in some cases, for myself it was $14 and $10, so some nice collects coming if we can do it.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2