Thurston an Eagle ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
It'd be a nice purchase....best half in the comp and probably the most competitive guy in the game (his dummy spits and arguing with the ref are certainly qualities which we've seen in some Manly halves over the years...)

But I think we're being a little bit ambitious even thinking about it, unless we plan on losing Choc, Gifty etc. Although Kite is also coming off a big money contract, so maybe that will help.

Still. As much as I'd love it, we're such a basketcase at the moment that I can't see anything like that happening for a little while yet.

Am I the only one who doesn't like this bloke and really doesn't want to see him in a Manly jumper?

Besides, what would be the point of buying him for 2011? We'd have spent 12 months with some new young talent only to shove them aside for yet another aging halfback!

I would embrace Jack the Ripper if he took us to a premiership

No freakin' way.

I'm sick of this obsession Manly seem to have with buying big name players. They cost too much & deliver too little.
The value is in bringing up young guys. A mercinary who's acheived everything & has no motivation other than taking the cash who'll run off back to Queensland when he retires rather than becoming a clubman is just stupidity.

We've just got rid of Ox, now we have a chance to blood two new halfbacks who've never played first grade for another club. Why ruin it?

I reckon we should spend our cash on the Storms recruitment team

I used to think Thurston was a little bit cute, in a deformed monkey sort of way, but I watched him play a lot this year and he's an extremely dirty player. Personally I don't want him in the Maroon and White but if it came to that I'd be cheering along with all the other mad buggers when he'd post us a try.

Dan link said:
I reckon we should spend our cash on the Storms recruitment team

It has nothing to do with their recruitment team and everything to do with being owned by the GAME'S owners. How can you go wrong? Anybody that thinks it is a level playing field has rocks in their head. They can afford whoever they want, with paper bags and all that jazz under the table...Look at Gorden Tallis, the most uneducated boofhead to EVER work in the media. This was just a reward for his loyalty during Super League. Laurie Daley is not far behind, either, in my opinion.

Matabele link said:
Doesn't he have a dodgy shoulder?  That's what he told the judiciary in September 2007 anyway.
Two dodgy shoulders.
I can't remember if the angel wing tatoos were put on to cover the surgery scars ;)

So Moops you are telling me the talent scouts, have not discovered any talent?

Inglis
Falou
Cronk
Hell Smith has been there his whole career

Their main recruitment officer is recognized by everyone in the industry as one of, if not the best going around.

You have rocks in your head if you truly truly believe the entire game, referees etc are as corrupt as you think. You also have rocks in your head if you dont believe they know how to spot talent at the Storm

Duff link said:
No freakin' way.

I'm sick of this obsession Manly seem to have with buying big name players. They cost too much & deliver too little.
The value is in bringing up young guys. A mercinary who's acheived everything & has no motivation other than taking the cash who'll run off back to Queensland when he retires rather than becoming a clubman is just stupidity.

We've just got rid of Ox, now we have a chance to blood two new halfbacks who've never played first grade for another club. Why ruin it?

so are you suggesting that our biggest most expensive signings have been a failure.
Kite-clive churchill medal winner
Orford-Premiership winning captain and dally m medalist
Bell-last year showed the stabilitity and solidness he supplied
Kennedy-gave our forwards the professionalsim, steel and belief to win a comp.
Lyon-nuff said
they are the 6 big dollar signings over the last few years and all have earned every cent the received. The only other 2 are t.Williams and Bailly. Bailly showed me enough not to write him off yet and Williams should be juged as a second rower next season. Granted he has to show a hell of a lot more than he did this season. 6 from 8 on the big dollar front rates ok as far as im concerned. Especially when 5 of those 6 won a comp and the other had his mark all over that team.

Dan, I think the bloke you are referring to is Peter O'Sullivan, who has actually left the Storm now and works for the Roosters, and is connected too Foran, possibly as a stepfather or something

Whomever it is the bloke obviously has an eye for talent.

And biscuits the suggestion is that they haven't been consistently good, we are resting and counting too much on the 08 grand final. This year very few of our big signings turned up. For whatevert reason most of them went backwards with lyon the only real exception

I hope this doesn't happen either.

Thurston....
1. Wants to get away from Neil Henry
2. Wants a big pay rise
3. Perhaps wouldn't mind a change of scenery...but mostly it's 1 and 2.

If it was Scott Prince.....that would be different, but seeing as though he isn't leaving the Gold Coast any time soon...

Manly should invest their time, confidence and money in Hodkinson and Cherry-Evans.

Daddycool link said:

Thurston....
2. Wants a big pay rise

If it was Scott Prince.....that would be different, but seeing as though he isn't leaving the Gold Coast any time soon...

Manly should invest their time, confidence and money in Hodkinson and Cherry-Evans.

Simply based on the numbers I'd go with Thurston over Prince (although I love Scotty). Prince is three years Thurston's senior.

I mean, Thurston is 26! He's deadset in his prime and he's the best halfback in the comp, and by 2011 he'll be alone as the best half/five-eighth in the world too I imagine (with the decline of the likes of Locky, Prince etc). If there was anyway we could afford him, you make the move. There are no other questions to be answered.

willstyles link said:
[quote author=Daddycool link=topic=182075.msg246429#msg246429 date=1259224677]

Thurston....
2. Wants a big pay rise

There are no other questions to be answered.
[/quote]

So we just forget about Coffs Harbour?

The guy is a grub and leave him at north QLD.  He wants to run the show at NQLD and has no respect for any coach or any tactics unless they are his own.  A destablising influnce on a team and Manly should steer clear of him no matter how good a footballer he is.  

That quote is from the father of a current first grader in NQLD and is why they have not won a premiership since Thurston has been there.  If Manly sign him it will be Craig field all over again

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6