Thurston calls for NFL-like All Stars schedule

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Thurston calls for NFL-like All Stars schedule

By Tony Webeck, Chief Queensland Correspondent

NRL.com

6:00am Mon 27th January, 2014

Indigenous All Stars captain Johnathan Thurston believes the NRL should consider using the NFL's Pro Bowl format for the All Stars game.
A revamped NFL Pro Bowl will kick off at 11am Monday morning AEDT and 2013 Golden Boot winner Johnathan Thurston has urged NRL officials to consider a similar format for future Indigenous All Stars fixtures.

Click here to read the full article.

I'm open to the concept and especially if it does get moved around to regional and interstate cities. It could be a good advertisement and create interest in those areas that don't get to see much of the game of Rugby League.

HappilyManly said:
Over exposure and burn out is all this would redult in :cool:

Mentally the Players must be near exhaustion by October.

But the bulk of players to choose from would have already had several weeks off due to the Finals Series. If anything, all that it would do is delay a few players Mad Monday holiday trips.

Good idea but do you:
A) really think thurston suggested it off his own bat; or
B) think that he responded to a question from the journo suggesting the idea?

I liked the Pro bowl for some time and liked the All stars concept as well.

I do think the burnout could be a problem.

I have suggested before that the 8 teams not making the playoffs could run a 'shadow playoff' in unison with the top eight sides playoff.

That would give a full round in the first week, 4 games in the subsequent week leading to two grand-finals one on Saturday and the other on Sunday.

Or this bottom 8 could be a knockout series with invitation teams from Qld, Pacific Islands UK and others to make up 16 teams with the two remaining playing the other grand-final.

But as has been said burnout would be a problem. But imagine the revenue stream and the news build ups.

How about a never ending season with the promise of a finals series sometime in the future? This approach has worked for Christianity for 2000 years or so. Or like the 1984 style phony war drummed up by the north Koreans to keep the population on high alert and reliant on the leaders.

The stragglers who didn't put in all year to qualify for the Finals, should be made to play a UFC RL 1970's rules, knockout comp. :idea:

I miss the biff :(

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7