Tigers' Strategy

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Canteen Worker

First Grader
Tigers' Strategy

It was very interesting to hear Tim Sheens talking about their success on the field in 2005.

It turns out that they have deliberately spent under the salary cap over the last two to three years and instead locked up a lot of young talent in order to develop them and keep them in the club.

This deliberate youth strategy is starting to pay off with many of the young players coming through.

It was interesting to hear Sheens say that the success this season has come a year or two earlier than expected.

It is a long time since March but I remember going to the trial at Leichhardt where Manly smacked them in all grades and especially dominated them in the forwards, though their backs did look sharp and pacey. I came away from that day thinking that the Tigers would do well to avoid the spoon. How differently this season panned out - due to smart strategy over a number of years.

Says to me that we need to (and hopefully are doing so already) to make sure that our young talent is being looked after and developed carefully. Our future depends on it. We can only buy so many blue chip players from elsewhere!!!

Tigers' Strategy

You can only lock up the talent that you have. It turns out that the Tigers have plenty, we just may not.

Tigers' Strategy

The Tigers bought in a TOPLINE coach and paid him accordingly. No jobs for the biys was the best move they ever made.

Then Sheens did something smart. He stopped them buying up broken down old hacks and "players with problems" and put a broom through the place to get rid of all the rubbish like Senter etc.

When you consider the halfway house we have been in recent years, there may be something for us to consider in all of that. Here's a roll-call of dishonour:

Hopoate
Haumono
Harris (on the strength that he was a Waratahs reject)
Andrew Walker
McGuiness
Ben Walker
Terry Hill

Then I fear there is some rotten apples:

Steve Matal
Karl Johnson
etc

Wish we had a broom.

Tigers' Strategy

Actually, I'm beginning to realise that Manly and strategy are something of an oxymoron.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4