Time for "Captain's Challenge" to be Introduced?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Aetna

Reserve Grader
Is it time for the NRL to introduce the "Captain's Challenge" similar to the cricket or tennis?

My idea for the "Captain's Challenge" to be used succesfully & not to slow down the games momentum with too many stoppages is for a PENALTY to be given against any INCORRECT Captain's Challenge. The Captain's Challenge will be used only for strips, lost ball, high tackles, shoulder charge, blatten forward passes, tries, grounding the ball etc. The exeption maybe being for penalties for not being back 10 in the play the ball. This way you will not risk 2 points or another 6 tackles inside your quarter. Eg: If you know you didn't drop the ball but it was stripped or you didn't strip the ball but the opposition simply lost the ball it is worth using the Captain's Challenge.

Agree 100% was used in the Holden cup without any hickups first rule they bring in next season. I think the way it works they get 1 or 2 challeges per half and thats all you would need (surly the officials could only make 1 or 2 blues per half).

It's very important to penalize any INCORRECT Captain's Challenge so it can be used only for clear cut mistakes.

the mauler said:
If the captains challenge was in place for GF Manly would be 13' premiers not the Rorters

So you have faith in the video refs??

I reckon they are worse than the on field clowns by a factor of 10.

Captains Challenge - No Thanks

bob dylan said:
the mauler said:
If the captains challenge was in place for GF Manly would be 13' premiers not the Rorters

So you have faith in the video refs??

I reckon they are worse than the on field clowns by a factor of 10.

Captains Challenge - No Thanks
It's not about the 50/50 calls but the clear cut mistakes. Video Ref's should not be getting clear cut decision wrong.

its either that or allow the video ref to correct these clangers

more and more often we are seeing shockers so something needs to be done

I am not talking about 50/50 calls.

The video refs are the biggest joke of the lot.

Jatz Crackers said:
I want less rules and more footy.

KISS!

Buy me dinner first!

Happy to trial captain's challenge. 2 ref's + 2 touchies+ 2 people in the video box can't get things right, so give it a go.

Captains Challenge has to be brought in. Use the same system trialled in Holden Cup. Only one unsuccessful Challenge per half so Captains don't challenge everything.
Imagine if it was used in the GF. Hayne would have been a laughing stock when they overruled at least 6 of his calls. It would stop refs with a bias against one team ie Hayne giving so many dud calls as they wouldn't want to be continually challenged and caught out.
As for the argument that it hold up play, so what! Would rather have a 30 sec break and get the right call.
In the GF by the time they set the scrum after Jennings touch it had already been replayed so you could see that the call was wrong.
Is the first rule that has to be changed in 2014. We need to get every piece of technology available to cut down the number of games being decided by dud refs. ie Hayne

Think its worth trialling to see how it slows the game down , 1 per half BUT if they won the challenge they still have 1 to go , lose and none to the second half.

Nothing to lose to see if it works.

Refereeing decisions need to be cleared up & improved prior to finding more time wasting in the game.
Some players stay down to get the penalty. At times theres a blatent hit & its not replayed , other times it is & theres a penalty for the lessor infringement???
Video refs need to be able to rule on foward passes, its not Rugby Yawnion.
There needs to be more consistency as in 1 ref lets players hang on in a tackle for an eternity & the next bloke blows the whistle after 2 seconds.
Also noticed certain players , particularly the more popular ones , the refs joke with & talk respectfully & caution instead of just penalising them.
This playing the ball off the mark is a pet hate & that JWH could be penalised 9/10 times for it & theres many others.....
When it is over obviously off the mark, the ref call them back to play it??? My U11's get penalised for this....
Need to get it right with what we already have before adding to it.

In the 20's you can only challenge untill a the kick is taken. So if they kick for touch / goal then it's too late.
I'm all for it.

Captains challenge plus a GPS in the footballs would solve all problems.

Works great in tennis,

NYEagle

I'm of the opinion if you can't have it at grass roots level why have it in top grade.

As it is NRL is formula 1 rugby league.

Mark from Brisbane said:
Think its worth trialling to see how it slows the game down , 1 per half BUT if they won the challenge they still have 1 to go , lose and none to the second half.

I still think there should be a penalty awarded against the team which asks for a Captain's Challenge & looses it. This will make sure it isn't used willy nilly but only for when players know they were hard done by.

Mark from Brisbane said:

Unless you're Easts....then you lose a grand final.

I would like to see a captains call available for each half of football. It is also time to give video referees the chance to inform the on field referee of blatant forward passess and also ajudicate on calls where the ball goes dead either over the side line or dead ball line.

The captains call would have earnt DCE a penalty when we led 18-8 for him being hit as Pearce was. Also the forward pass that was in the try that put Easts ahead.

Come on ARLC get your bloody act together, the refs need help. It is the biggest blight on the game that the officials and not the players are determining results!!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6