Time for the Bulldogs and Hasler to part ways

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
By Mark St John
August 31, 2016

THE BULLDOGS are no closer to winning a premiership since the day they hired Des Hasler and it is probably time club and coach parted ways.

When former Bulldogs CEO Todd Greenberg headhunted Hasler back in 2011, he did so on the back of a promise that the premiership would return to Belmore.
Hasler had just won his second premiership as coach of the Manly Sea Eagles and was considered one, if not the, best coach in the NRL.

Fast forward five years and despite making two grand finals in 2012 and 2014, the Bulldogs now look further from their first title since 2004 than ever.

Make no mistake, Hasler is an excellent coach but the problem with his tenure at the Bulldogs is that he has failed to evolve his side’s style of play to suit the ever changing competition.

Which is strange because Hasler has always been such an innovator – just take a look at the way he initially transformed the club when he took the reins back in 2012. He gave the forwards more responsibility in the playmaking department, and boy did it pay dividends.

The tactic was a revelation as the Dogs stormed to a grand final in Hasler’s first year in charge on the back of a massive pack who had the ability to play at and through the line.

But here we are four years on and that is still the Dogs’ go-to play. What’s happened to Des the innovator?

The good sides have clearly figured them out. Just take a look at their record against the elite sides this year – in six attempts against top four opposition the Bulldogs have enjoyed just one win. One win.

Half a decade at the helm of a club is more than enough time to mould a squad to your liking capable of getting the job done.

However, he hasn’t got the job done – simple as that. And it’s fair to say the Bulldogs look the least threatening side in the finals.

They might be good for an arm wrestle but that will get you only so far in September.

Five-eighth Josh Reynolds is a true competitor but struggles to get his backline going at times and doesn’t have the playmaking skills to make the players around him better.

Moses Mbye looked like the next big thing last season but has regressed in his development this year and seems to be a victim of the forward-dominated approach that suffocates his unique skill set.

In Brett Morris the Dogs have a true finisher but the tactics Hasler employs makes it hard for his workmen-like backs to consistently create the opportunities necessary for Morris to shine.

In 2012 Hasler’s ball playing big men were a thing of beauty and a real game changer . . . but the game has moved on.

If Greenberg’s 2011 promise of a premiership is to come to fruition sooner rather than later, then maybe it is is time Hasler moved on.

You'd be salivating at the thought of this @BOZO ??

But with the Penn's still in play do you really think he'd return?

Last edited:
Greetings, Dogs supporter here (ducks for cover).

This is one of only a few articles of late that have criticised Hasler's coaching.

It's as though there's an unwritten law prohibiting the media from criticising his coaching.

I've been fed up with Hasler since 2013. He has failed to evolve the Dogs style of play in four years. We now have close to the worst attack in the comp, the worst kicking game, with halves that play like centre/fullback hybrids.

Many of our tries come from individual brilliance and ad lib play, from the likes of Brett Morris. We rarely put on a well constructed attacking play. It all just flat, sideways, forward dominated passing. We look lost in the opposition 20, and it sometimes looks like they've played their first game together.

When the opposition counter our game plan, there's never a plan B.

It frustrates me to no end.

Manly never played like this under Des.

He has spent millions on technology, camera's around ANZ and Belmore, yet our style of play never evolves, and the same mistakes are repeated.

I would be far more optimistic looking to the next few years as a Manly supporter.

You'd be salivating at the thought of this @BOZO ??

But with the Penn's still play do you really think he'd return?
Do coaches peak at their best like players ? Because if they do then Des is past his best going by the way his team has been playing . Des does have the cattle but he also has them playing like cattle .
Would the Penn's have him back ? Fck no !

Last edited:

This is one of only a few articles of late that have criticised Hasler's coaching.

It's as though there's an unwritten law prohibiting the media from criticising his coaching.

I've been fed up with Hasler since 2013. He has failed to evolve the Dogs style of play in four years. We now have close to the worst attack in the comp, the worst kicking game, with halves that play like centre/fullback hybrids.

Many of our tries come from individual brilliance and ad lib play, from the likes of Brett Morris. We rarely put on a well constructed attacking play. It all just flat, sideways, forward dominated passing. We look lost in the opposition 20, and it sometimes looks like they've played their first game together.

He has spent millions on technology, camera's around ANZ and Belmore, yet our style of play never evolves, and the same mistakes are repeated.

I would be far more optimistic looking to the next few years as a Manly supporter.
Surely Des must be under some pressure for not delivering a title for the dogs . Is your assistant Jim Dymock your answer or would you be looking else where ?

Surely Des must be under some pressure for not delivering a title for the dogs . Is your assistant Jim Dymock your answer or would you be looking else where ?

He's cetainly under no pressure form the CEO, who's trying to re-sign him until 2019.

There doesn't seem to be too much coming form the board either.

To be honest, I don't know who the answer is. What I do know is that we will never win a premiership while Des persists with his approach at the dogs.

Dymock showed potential at the back end of 2011, and brought some players into form (like Josh Morris), by not guaranteeing their first grade spots.

However, he's not the greatest communicator, and I'm not sure whether he has what it takes to be a fulltime coach.

Desmond and Geoffrey should have their own sports show together. The mad scientist and the passionately mad.

Do coaches peak at their best like players ? Because if they do then Des is past his best going by the way his team has been playing . Des does have the cattle but he also has them playing like cattle .
Would the Penn's have him back ? Fck no !
Ask Chris Anderson

I'd take Des back in a heart beat. Would you be interested in a clean swap of coaches?

No need to duck for cover @DOW , it's only if posters come on to be atypical trolls ( usually pre or post when we play ).

Your post was informative , so welcome aboard.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6